Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Exactly! It's so tragic.

And it is still baffling to me how so many of us older, "hate-filled, corrosive, ignorant, lowlifes" managed to survive without our schools cooking 3 meals a day for us. Yet somehow our experience is "irrelevant" to the discussion here about dinner being provided by the school for every student who stays for after school activities, regardless of financial need.
Hey, I didn't directly call any posters names. I said I found people of a certain viewpoint to be those things.

And I do.

If you identify with that certain viewpoint that is your doing. Not mine.

Also I didn't write anyone was a lowlife. I wrote low character.

Unless a poster is going to say schools can only do things the way they did them when that poster was in school.

Then yes criticizing a school for doing something different from when a poster was is school just on the basis of it being different is 100% irrelevant and illogical.

It means that school administrators can't say hey how this was handled in the past wasn't really optimal, here maybe a better way to handle this.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM

11,789 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Well 80% of your post was irrelevant. So I won't waste my time with most of it.

Again this whole lie fest about families on food stamps started based on a program that has nothing to do with food stamps.

It is simply a school district saying to the small subset of students and parents, hey if your kid stays over and participates in an after school activity we are going to feed the child.

This caused a lot of posters to be upset about food stamps where there is no connection.

Once that talking point was destroyed, then the double dipping lie was created to justify this completely deranged viewpoint of being angry that a school is feeding teenagers.

But this perspective is made up and really is designed to make it seem like those who get food stamps are getting over on the rest of us. This is a sick viewpoint and a distorted viewpoint.

This ignores the actual design of the food stamp program.

Here is reality http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...2006Report.pdf

The Thrifty Food Plan (TFP), a fundamental part of the U.S. food guidance system and the basis for maximum food stamp allotments

Is based on the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans as well as the 2005 MyPyramid Food Guidance System.

Uses the prices low-income people paid for many foods.

Uses the latest data on food consumption, nutrient content, and food prices: the 2001-
2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and 2001-2002 Food Price
Database.

Offers a more realistic reflection of the time available for food preparation, especially
with increased expectations for work in assistance programs. Hence, it allows more
prepared foods and requires somewhat fewer preparations from scratch.
It was only irrelevant because I described you and all your posts to a T. Someone who blindly follows and degrades other's who think for themselves.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Will that happen 5 days a week, every week throughout the year? Schools provide free meals in the summer, as well. You're comparing a miniscule event, missing school for illness) to 250 days (sometimes more) of free meals per year.
That's a cop out. This entire double dipping "problem" is miniscule. The money our government saw flat out disappear in Iraq over ten years could fund the school lunch program until about two weeks after hell freezes over. And yet this is what YOU have chose to complain about. Ok, I'm telling you to put up or shut up.

Your argument is nothing but an anti-poor nitpick. You don't get to gripe about what you think is nitpicking now. Your knickers are in a knot over a tiny amount of money because you'll be damned if the poor will get a penny more than you think they should get. But when faced with the logical reciprocal and given the opportunity to show us all how it's done, you couldn't get away fast enough.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post

I understand taxes. I have an advanced degree and two professional licenses. I pay a considerable amount of my share in taxes, and I do it willingly...

Feeding hungry people is not charity--it is humane.

I comprehend I am the progressive minded person you dislike. I can live in endless suburbia. I can drive my SUV to the mall and treat myself to a shopping spree.

If you feel that attacking my humanity will shame me from speaking about your bigotry, it was a futile attempt at best. If that means striking up the violin, I say let it play.
I say calling someone a bigot simply because they do not want tax dollars going to redundant
social programs is WAY OUT OF LINE.

So you have advanced degrees. It's purpose in the discussion is.....
Should we call you "smarty pants" from now on in all CD discussions

You think giving away someone else's money is progressive
I think a lot of these programs should be at the local level.

Feeding hungry people is humane. But that is not what we are talking about here.
These children are not starving, literally not knowing where their next meal is coming from....
And quit with the "those people" - I used it in a post in response to the other rant.

No one "really" gives taxes willingly. That is why it is legislated.
IMO I would do a better job of allocating my own money to those that need it.
We should revamped the tax system to give dollar for dollar tax credits for those who give to charity.
You and all of your "progressive friends" can come out and join us in the giving.

You so wrongly paint anti welfare proponents as void of compassion and concern.
You could not be further from the truth.

BTW, I am a member of the Libertarian Party.
My family and I probably give more in charity than most.
But we don't do it so we can label ourselves "progressive" we do it because we want to.

Why Libertarians And Progressives Will Never Get Along | ThinkProgress

"The PRRI poll is just more evidence that, as much as people talk about the United States as being divided by social and foreign policy, it’s the role of the state in the economy that really divides us. That’s the fundamental fault line in American politics, and it explains why, as much as an alliance might make sense on some issues, progressives and libertarians will always end up on opposite sides of the political barricades."

All your other gibberish about SUVS and and MALLS
I drive a Jag and don't shop at Malls....I'm just not a burbs kind of gal.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 05-15-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
That's a cop out.
No, it's reality. Quite simply, a child will be in school getting free meals (even during summer) FAR many more times than they'll be home sick.

Quote:
This entire double dipping "problem" is miniscule.
No, it isn't. 2 to 3 free meals 5 days per week at school for 50 weeks (remember, they feed them over the summer and during school breaks, too) is 500 to 750 meals each year.

There already has been a very good suggestion made: have SNAP recipient children pay for their school meals with food stamps. That's what they're for.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It was only irrelevant because I described you and all your posts to a T. Someone who blindly follows and degrades other's who think for themselves.
I like to think I give back what other posters put out.

I think it is only logical if some posters feel comfortable demeaning and degrading millions of people because those people are poor and use certain government programs, that those posters' opinions and character should be demeaned and degraded as well.

These demeaning attacks started on a false premise and then continued on with other lies about millions of people based on personal hatred and ignorance.

The lies that the program in Texas had anything to do with food stamps, it doesn't. That the program in Texas was only open to students who received a free or reduced lunch, it isn't, that only students who get free and reduced lunches have their lunches paid for by taxpayers, that's a lie.

That students who participate in the national lunch program are all in families that use food stamps another fabrication.

That these students parents are double dipping from food stamps another huge fabrication devoid of any analysis of the actual food stamp program.

This is just a small sampling of the huge whooping lies told which attempted to demean and degrade millions of people based on a program in one high school in one school district in Texas.

All of those viewpoints are dishonest, ignorant show low moral character and generally are the mark of hateful people.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
That these students parents are double dipping from food stamps another huge fabrication devoid of any analysis of the actual food stamp program.
You've never provided any proof of that. You keep repeating the same thing that states NOTHING WHATSOEVER about adjusting food stamp benefits to account for all the free meals kids get at school.

A very good suggestion has already been made to resolve the issue. Have SNAP recipient children pay for their school meals with food stamps. Give them a swipe card exactly like the other students use, but load it with their apportioned food stamp allotment instead of money. No one will ever know the difference. Everyone's self-esteem remains intact.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've never provided any proof of that. You keep repeating the same thing that states NOTHING WHATSOEVER about adjusting food stamp benefits to account for all the free meals kids get at school.

A very good suggestion has already been made to resolve the issue. Have SNAP recipient children pay for their school meals with food stamps. Give them a swipe card exactly like the other students use, but load it with their apportioned food stamp allotment instead of money. No one will ever know the difference. Everyone's self-esteem remains intact.
Yes, I did prove 100% and directly. The double dipping lie is devoid of analysis of the actual food stamp program. You keep missing the point that the program already accounts for the national food lunch program because its based on the spending of real people and families.

Here is reality again: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...2006Report.pdf

The Thrifty Food Plan (TFP), a fundamental part of the U.S. food guidance system and the basis for maximum food stamp allotments,

Is based on the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans as well as the 2005 MyPyramid Food Guidance System.

Uses the latest data on food consumption, nutrient content, and food prices: the 2001-
Database.

Offers a more realistic reflection of the time available for food preparation, especially
with increased expectations for work in assistance programs. Hence, it allows more

NHANES 2001-2002 is a complex, multistage probability sample of the civilian non- institutionalized population of the United States. This survey provides information on people’s consumption of foods and nutrients, as well as extensive health-related data and information about Americans’ demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM

11,789 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
I like to think I give back what other posters put out.

I think it is only logical if some posters feel comfortable demeaning and degrading millions of people because those people are poor and use certain government programs, that those posters' opinions and character should be demeaned and degraded as well.

These demeaning attacks started on a false premise and then continued on with other lies about millions of people based on personal hatred and ignorance.

The lies that the program in Texas had anything to do with food stamps, it doesn't. That the program in Texas was only open to students who received a free or reduced lunch, it isn't, that only students who get free and reduced lunches have their lunches paid for by taxpayers, that's a lie.

That students who participate in the national lunch program are all in families that use food stamps another fabrication.

This is just a small sampling of the huge whooping lies told which attempted to demean and degrade millions of people based on a program in one high school in one school district in Texas.

All of those viewpoints are dishonest, ignorant show low moral character and generally are the mark of hateful people.

We've had our battles before - I have not degraded or demeaned anyone. I've been active in the Democratic party for over 40 years, I've worked soup kitchens, mentored in Big Brother Big Sister program, donate regularly to the inner city mission and churches but that doesn't mean that I have to stand by and see money wasted like this - when there are so many other people that could use that help.

The program is wasteful and double dipping - the monies would be better spent supplementing soup kitchens or inner city training programs. Do you have any idea of the amount of people that come to the soup kitchen because even tho they work - they can't qualify for food stamps but have run out of money to eat by the end of the month.

You and I have gone head to head about foodstamps and their abuse. Those we serve at the soup kitchen are appalled at the shopping carts of those with the Snap cards - while they're living on peanut butter and ramen noodles.

What has been stated is definitely double dipping - but because you think otherwise than you sit there in judgement of decent people who disagree with you. Best to just ignore you from now on.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
We've had our battles before - I have not degraded or demeaned anyone. I've been active in the Democratic party for over 40 years, I've worked soup kitchens, mentored in Big Brother Big Sister program, donate regularly to the inner city mission and churches but that doesn't mean that I have to stand by and see money wasted like this - when there are so many other people that could use that help.

The program is wasteful and double dipping - the monies would be better spent supplementing soup kitchens or inner city training programs. Do you have any idea of the amount of people that come to the soup kitchen because even tho they work - they can't qualify for food stamps but have run out of money to eat by the end of the month.

You and I have gone head to head about foodstamps and their abuse. Those we serve at the soup kitchen are appalled at the shopping carts of those with the Snap cards - while they're living on peanut butter and ramen noodles.

What has been stated is definitely double dipping - but because you think otherwise than you sit there in judgement of decent people who disagree with you. Best to just ignore you from now on.
I don't remember screen names. I don't care about who claim to be or claim to have done that's irrelevant.

This is very simple everything that you said about the food stamp program is false. It is not my opinion that it is false it is false based on the facts of the program.

There isn't widespread food stamp fraud.

There is no such thing as double dipping.

And the people who receive food stamps are the some of the same people that go to soup lines.

Now why you don't educate yourself by looking at the food stamp program.

Here is objective reality:SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities

NAP error rates declined by 57% since FY2000, from 8.91% in FY2000 to a record low of 3.80% in FY2011.[vi] The accuracy rate of 96.2% (FY2011) is an all-time program high and is considerably higher than other major benefit programs, for example Medicare fee-for-service (91.5%) or Medicare Advantage Part C (88.6%). [vii]

Two-thirds of all SNAP payment errors are a result of caseworker error. Nearly one-fifth are underpayments, which occur when eligible participants receive less in benefits than they are eligible to receive.[viii]

The national rate of food stamp trafficking declined from about 3.8 cents per dollar of benefits redeemed in 1993 to about 1.3 cent per dollar during the years 2009 to 2011.[ix] As you may have read in local news, USDA is aggressively fighting trafficking, but while there are individual cases of program abuse, for every one instance of fraud, there are hundreds of stories of heartbreaking need.

SNAP benefits don’t last most participants the whole month. 90% of SNAP benefits are redeemed by the third week of the month, and 58% of food bank clients currently receiving SNAP benefits turn to food banks for assistance at least 6 months out of the year.[x]

The average monthly SNAP benefit per person is $133.85, or less than $1.50 per person, per meal. [xi]

Only 57% of food insecure individuals are income-eligible for SNAP, and 26% are not income-eligible for any federal food assistance.[xii]

Here again is the reality of the how the money in the food stamp program is allocated: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...2006Report.pdf

The Thrifty Food Plan (TFP), a fundamental part of the U.S. food guidance system and the basis for maximum food stamp allotments,

Database.

NHANES 2001-2002 is a complex, multistage probability sample of the civilian non- institutionalized population of the United States. This survey provides information on people’s consumption of foods and nutrients, as well as extensive health-related data and information about Americans’ demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies