Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You totally do not understand. These meals are for the days when the kids are staying after school for a school sanctioned activity. They're not for every day.
Why can't their parents feed them? I'm all for schools serving lunch, since students are required to be there during those hours by law. But breakfast and dinner should be completely on the parents.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, you didn't. You keep posting a source that never states anything about adjusting food stamp benefits to account for all the free meals kids get at school.

A very good suggestion has already been made to resolve the issue: Have SNAP recipient children pay for their school meals with food stamps. Give them a swipe card exactly like the other students use, but load it with their apportioned food stamp allotment instead of money. No one will ever know the difference. Everyone's self-esteem remains intact.
That would be good. It would stop a lot of the fraud that goes on where people are selling or renting out the use of their food stamps and making non-food purchases with them.

I would be for eliminating the food stamp program completely and just keep the school cafeterias open for feeding stations for children. They already do that around here -- the food stamp parents won't feed their kids in the summer so the school cafeterias remain open for kids to come and eat.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM

62,924 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Why can't their parents feed them? I'm all for schools serving lunch, since students are required to be there during those hours by law. But breakfast and dinner should be completely on the parents.
I agree. When I was a kid only lunch was served and even at that you either brown bagged it or paid a small fee for a cafeteria lunch. Kids normally have time for breakfast at home before school and are usually home a couple of hours before dinner time. Our taxes are high enough paying for education without paying for meals there that the parents should provide themselves.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
100% correct!

Wish I could rep you again!
[MOD CUT/off topic]

This article shows some of the benefits of after-school activities.
At A New Orleans High School, Marching Band Is A Lifeline For Kids : Code Switch : NPR

What is the problem with giving these kids a meal if they're at school after hours doing a school sanctioned activity?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-16-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That would be good. It would stop a lot of the fraud that goes on where people are selling or renting out the use of their food stamps and making non-food purchases with them.

I would be for eliminating the food stamp program completely and just keep the school cafeterias open for feeding stations for children. They already do that around here -- the food stamp parents won't feed their kids in the summer so the school cafeterias remain open for kids to come and eat.
Exactly.

How sad that our country has to double pay some welfare benefits because so many public assistance parents refuse to use them for their children as intended. Even worse, those receiving public assistance like food stamps, etc., have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't.

Stats cited and sourced here, for the doubters :
//www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
What is the problem with giving these kids a meal if they're at school after hours doing a school sanctioned activity?
It erodes personal responsibility. Kids participated in after school activities for decades without schools stepping in to feed them in the late afternoon. Exactly what has changed since then?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Geez. Don't put common sense into this equation. You will be called "close minded" and a "bigot." And all sorts of other names.

Parents are responsible for THEIR children. If they cannot afford 3 kids, have 2. If they cannot afford 2, have 1. If they cannot afford 1; don't have children.

It is NOT societies responsibility to pay for parents bad choices. NO ONE forced you to have children. Birth control is readily available in this country.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What's the point in having all kinds of birth control methods if we're going to reward irresponsible breeding?

It's time we stop encouraging millions of people to conceive children they cannot or will not support.
Smh, I can't make this stuff up. A thread about one high school in one school district deciding to feed the small subset of students who voluntarily participate in after school activities brings these kinds of thoughts to the minds of conservatives.

Again, the fact that conservatives hate is there for anyone to see and it is analysis that ignores the real world.

In the real world the birth rate for Americans of all economic levels is PLUMMETING, but in conservative land, nah doesn't see that in fact thinks people are breeding like animals.

This is the sickness of the conservative mind. The blindness to reality the need to demonize and demean other people.

I can't make this stuff up remember this is a discussion about a school providing a meal to students who stay after school once or twice a week.

And where does the conservative mind go conspiracy, oh these kids never eat at home. Really the school's take up about 35hrs in a 168hr week. They are at home far more.....

The parents are irresponsible because they don't find their children, but of course very few families get the max in food stamps for their family size because someone is usually working in the household which means their money is going to buy food.

The double dipping lie that ignores the design of the program.

And on and on.

Remember all of those fabrications and attacks because one school decided to feed any students who participated in an after school program and who stayed to 4pm or 4:30pm.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
It erodes personal responsibility. Kids participated in after school activities for decades without schools stepping in to feed them in the late afternoon. Exactly what has changed since then?
But what is wrong with it? I don't think it's "eroding" personal responsibility, a term the RW has made a mockery of in any case.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
But what is wrong with it?
Read my post again...
Quote:
Exactly what about that do you not get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies