Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 PM

18,368 posts, read 18,993,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Alright, the barn door is open. We as taxpayers will feed them. But surely you realize the resentment this breeds in society. My husband and I made next to nothing when we were young, but we managed to feed and clothe our children. When I hear the excuses that are regularly offered on behalf of these deadbeat parents it makes me angry. So you hopefully will understand that myself and others are not going to just keep our mouths shut and smile.
I understand. I took care of my kids as well. however I never lost my job, nor became homeless or any other misfortune that can befall a person into a position that makes it hard for them to feed their children. I would rather pay for a person taking advantage of the system if it means the kids that really need it get food.

23,795 posts, read 13,239,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not complaining about the money spent. I'm complaining about the fact that the United States of America is in such bad shape that a job, welfare, food stamps, and the plethora of other methods of feeding our children isn't enough!

You don't see a problem with this??? If not, you need to think deeper.....because I can promise you the issue is much deeper than a measely 3 bucks!
Sounds like you are arguing that a basic living wage should be paid to all employees (so they can afford to feed their children). But as you know, there are many people who do not agree that $7-8 per hour is not a living wage.

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Meanwhile, according to the same federal government funding dinner for "starving" children, El Paso ranks as the 7th fattest city (obesity rate). Diabetes and dialysis are an epidemic.

Not sure about the program as I don't have the details, but given that ~ 1/3 of El Paso children in the 4th grade are obese, I'm not too concerned about kids starving in the street.

There is a huge difference between "hungry" and "starving".

2009 Fattest Cities: #7 El Paso, TX
LOL..and many of those students don't even live in the US.
They cross the bridge every morning from Mexico to go to school in El Paso.
Border Patrol down there even has a special lane for students from 7am-9am.

We're now using our tax money to feed Mexican citizens folks.
The school buses even bring them back to the border when school is over.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...964_story.html

Old 05-12-2014, 03:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,228,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it is a fact that eating healthy cost more than fast food. these obese kids are more than likely eating fast food because it is what their parents can afford.
That maybe true but that is not why they are feeding them fast food.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sounds like you are arguing that a basic living wage should be paid to all employees (so they can afford to feed their children). But as you know, there are many people who do not agree that $7-8 per hour is not a living wage.
First off, go read up on those students in El Paso schools.
Many come from Mexico each day and go back home to Mexico each day.

We don't control "living wages" in Mexico, do we ?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Meanwhile, according to the same federal government funding dinner for "starving" children, El Paso ranks as the 7th fattest city (obesity rate).
It was "Men's Fitness" magazine that made that ranking - not the government - and it was based on criteria like # of tennis courts and # of golf courses.

2009 Fattest Cities: #7 El Paso, TX | Men's Fitness

Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,475,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
My middle school aged children get on the bus at 6:20, and with after school sports/activities, I don't pick them up sometimes until 4:30-5:00. I do this really novel thing- I pack them lunch and a snack for after school. (Actually they pack it themselves, I just make sure we have a slew of healthy lunch food and snacks in the house).

And then they come home and I feed them a healthy dinner. I know, it's a shocking concept that parents care for their own children.
not the government?!

well i never...

Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,657,543 times
Quote:
it is a fact that eating healthy cost more than fast food. these obese kids are more than likely eating fast food because it is what their parents can afford.
Baloney.

Most grocery stores I've been in have the produce section right by the door. Far more convenient that the Twinkie section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It was "Men's Fitness" magazine that made that ranking - not the government - and it was based on criteria like # of tennis courts and # of golf courses.

That makes the story more credible.

The government lacks credibility on every front. This is especially true when it comes to nutrition.

I heard a snippet this morning that now the idiots are saying butter and bacon is good for you. This after years and years of saying it's bad.

Stupid, stupid government!

I wouldn't trust a single word that comes from the government.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,409,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

No, it was from this pdf file:

Texas Nutrition | Data | Obesity Prevention

In conjunction with the federal government.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,409,758 times
Quote:

I understand that. I also understand they likely are eligible for SNAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies