Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. Trespassing is when you cut across my front yard without my permission but are not inside the house.
Try again. I think home invasion involves more than entry to the house. And honestly, I think a lot of us, though not all of us, make a distinction between "in the house" and "in the garage". That's why garage square footage isn't included in house square footage for real estate purposes, because for a garage's square footage to be counted, it has to meet certain criteria that a house's square footage already meets.

And again, the bottom line is whether you think the homeowner was right when he set a trap with the intention of killing whomever fell into that trap, or if you think the homeowner was wrong when he set a trap with the intention of killing whomever fell into that trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Is that why every industrialized country has less burglaries than the US? I am afraid we have a problem with this more than any other industrialized nation. Lol
do we really?

link pls.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"Try again. I think home invasion involves more than entry to the house."

I disagree. "Home invasion", to me, means that somebody entered my domicile without my permission. That includes ANY part of the house that is within the outside walls.

In fact, the Montana law is quite clear about the issue.
Montana Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Montana
Note the text of MCA 45-3-103. The defense of ANY "occupied structure" is allowable under certain conditions. Now, did those conditions prevail in the Missoula case? We won't know until the jury decides. Hopefully, the jury will decide according to THE LAW, not emotions.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Mr Kaarma should have left it to the law. He could have shut that garage door with the young man in it and called the police. He could have held the lad at gunpoint while his wife called the police, surely that's preferable to taking the life of a 17yr old?

If a home owner dropped a $20 bill on his front lawn, would he be within his rights to kill the pedestrian who tried to pick it up?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Try again. I think home invasion involves more than entry to the house."

I disagree. "Home invasion", to me, means that somebody entered my domicile without my permission. That includes ANY part of the house that is within the outside walls.

In fact, the Montana law is quite clear about the issue.
Montana Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Montana
Note the text of MCA 45-3-103. The defense of ANY "occupied structure" is allowable under certain conditions. Now, did those conditions prevail in the Missoula case? We won't know until the jury decides. Hopefully, the jury will decide according to THE LAW, not emotions.
I think you've misread the law.

You have to have a reasonable belief that the occupants are threatened, which is not the case here.

The homeowner set a trap. With the intention of murdering whomever fell for the trap.

That's not reasonable or rational behavior.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you've misread the law.

You have to have a reasonable belief that the occupants are threatened, which is not the case here.

The homeowner set a trap. With the intention of murdering whomever fell for the trap.

That's not reasonable or rational behavior.
A lot of states define any person coming into a home uninvited is reason enough to give reasonable belief that the occupants are threatened. It's the entire premise behind castle doctrine. From what I've read, Montana has a bit of a hybrid castle doctrine. Tough case from a legal standpoint. Morally, this homeowner was wrong. Legally, I think it's a bit more complicated.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Try again. I think home invasion involves more than entry to the house. And honestly, I think a lot of us, though not all of us, make a distinction between "in the house" and "in the garage". That's why garage square footage isn't included in house square footage for real estate purposes, because for a garage's square footage to be counted, it has to meet certain criteria that a house's square footage already meets.

And again, the bottom line is whether you think the homeowner was right when he set a trap with the intention of killing whomever fell into that trap, or if you think the homeowner was wrong when he set a trap with the intention of killing whomever fell into that trap.
Setting a trap, any trap, with the sole intention of killing someone, even a thief, is class A murder. With special circumstance of laying in wait. There is no lawyer on Earth that would relish the thought of mitigating the charges in a case like this. I am all for defending yourself in your home and while in public, but I can't buy off on setting up a lethal set of circumstances to lure in a perpetrator with killing in mind.
I can't support WANTING to kill someone, so bad, as to set any trap for any random bone head who takes the bait with intent to kill said bonehead. That is illegal, even under Castle Doctrine. The reason s why are obvious. That said, it doesn't pay to be a sneak thief.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Either the homeowner is in the wrong for setting a trap for a robber,
I must confess I have not read all the details about this. But where does a credible source say he set a trap?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Setting a trap, any trap, with the sole intention of killing someone,
So why do you think he set a trap "with the sole intention of killing someone"?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I must confess I have not read all the details about this. But where does a credible source say he set a trap?
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...6119b4.pdf.pdf

http://www.amerika-forum.de/threads/...schossen/page5
"....The above named defendant [Kaarma] committed the offense of deliberate homicide" - Deputy County Attorney

"Shortly after midnight, they heard a sensor alert indicating someone was in their driveway and then a sensor alert that someone had entered their garage. Pflager pulled up images from a video monitor with a live stream from the garage and observed a male inside the garage.

He assumed that he had a knife or a tool from the garage, however, he could not be sure because the garage was pitch dark and couldn’t see anything inside.
He [Kaarma] stated he didn’t want the male to get away and that he wanted him to be caught. He stated that the police can’t catch burglars in the act.
Pflager [wife] stated that after Kaarma reached the open garage door, she heard Kaarma say “hey, hey” and heard him chamber a shell into the shotgun. Pflager then heard the male in the garage say “hey” or “wait” and then Kaarma fired two shots into the dark garage. She realized how dark it was and went to turn on the exterior lights. Before she turned the lights on, he fired two more shots.
Pflager told Missoula City Police Officer Olds that they had been burglarized two times within the last three weeks. She said that she placed a purse with personal belongings that she had cataloged in the garage “so that they would take it.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies