Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
This is what happens in a barbaric society.

Accidentally walking into someone's house after a night out is not grounds for death.

Uneducated and uncultured gun owners do not have the right to be jury and executioner in such cases.

If people didn't have as many guns, sad events like this would not happen.
I agree. They would be replaced with sad events like this.

NJ woman brutally attacked in home invasion, caught by nanny cam!!! - YouTube

It sucks that the kid in Virginia had to die for mistaking the wrong house in a drunken stupor or the exchange student had to die while looking to steal beer or the kid in Texas that was getting a quicky from the girl with loose morals All made extremely bad decisions without considering any consequences. At that age, few kids can think more than 30 seconds into the future. Parents should be taking these types of news stories and making their kids read them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be a good chance you get shot. Particularly if you are a kid. Gun owners do not have the right to wantonly take peoples lives. It is sad that gun owners immediately come to the defense of a man who had premeditated this and was intoxicated.

The gun culture in certain parts of the United States is vile, backwards, uncivilized and most certainly doesn't fit the second part of the second amendment all of you gun lovers seen to forget...

"Well-regulated"

This guy should get 5-10
It is sad that you vilify someone for protecting themselves from what is a reasonable assumption of danger.

It is sad that you worry more about the safety of a criminal than the safety of a non criminal.

The sheep mentality of those who have never found themselves in a situation where someone could do them harm. The feeling of helplessness as someone controls whether you and your family lives or dies.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM

800 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It is sad that you vilify someone for protecting themselves from what is a reasonable assumption of danger.

It is sad that you worry more about the safety of a criminal than the safety of a non criminal.

The sheep mentality of those who have never found themselves in a situation where someone could do them harm. The feeling of helplessness as someone controls whether you and your family lives or dies.
I work in the inner city. Trust me, if you work in the neighborhoods I work in you'd probably be running around with all types of guns.

I've seen the damage guns cause. Being half European, I see what life is like without them.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Based on the affidavit I linked to earlier, Mr. Kaarma perceived a threat and provided supporting details. Whether that will convince a jury is another discussion.

A couple of years ago a drunk teen crawled through the open window of a house that looked like his but wasn't. He was shot dead. Kids do stupid things and sometimes those decisions get them killed. At the barrel of a gun, behind the wheel of a car or by many other means.
Kaarma's statement didn't match his actions, if he felt he was threatened he should have called 911 first as his wife did eventually. They saw him on their cell phones through the video monitor, they were previously robbed twice yet they saw fit to leave the garage door open while they hopped in the hot tub and turn off the exterior light sensors, their statements don't make sense. This is not someone that feels threatened, this is someone looking to make a killing out of revenge.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be a good chance you get shot. Particularly if you are a kid. Gun owners do not have the right to wantonly take peoples lives. It is sad that gun owners immediately come to the defense of a man who had premeditated this and was intoxicated.

The gun culture in certain parts of the United States is vile, backwards, uncivilized and most certainly doesn't fit the second part of the second amendment all of you gun lovers seen to forget...

"Well-regulated"

This guy should get 5-10
The "gun culture in certain parts of the US"? K. ...what certain parts, and does this "culture" really have anything to do with guns? Pretty high strung attitude ya got there. All gun owners are not slobbering to take a life. We are not sociopaths. This situation is still not clear cut, he's innocent till proven guilty. There are disturbing reports of his conduct, but, they ARE just reports. Not proven.
He will face a jury. Not a pleasant prospect. And they will decide, based on actual evidence and credible testimony, what really happened. All we have is a jumble of straws, and a line in the sand, across which rhetoric flys like musket balls at Antietam.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times
Quote:

"Well-regulated"

This guy should get 5-10
CincyIU29, I hate to break it to you but "kids" commit crimes too. They kill, rob, and rape as well. Not to long ago, a teen killed his teacher. According to the FBI, iN 2011 433 kids under 18 murdered someone, 1,437 raped someone, and 19,888 committed aggravated assault.

I'm sorry but if I have my firearm on me, and I see a unknown man in my home, I'm not going to stop wait wait to here what his excuse is. I'm honestly am going to be frightened, and will try and defend myself. It's sad that people posters on this thread (especially those that are women) and other antigun people seem to have this idea in their head that if they were in the same situation in which they were surprised by a strange man being in their home, that they are going to simply wait and have a convo with him to find out his motives OR while standing within arms reach, they're going to have time to call anyone...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,299 times
Yeah, facing the jury is not pleasant but it still doesn't compare to being shot by some redneck with a vendetta.
We have a dead body of a German exchange student who's only crime was trespassing. That's much bigger problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The "gun culture in certain parts of the US"? K. ...what certain parts, and does this "culture" really have anything to do with guns? Pretty high strung attitude ya got there. All gun owners are not slobbering to take a life. We are not sociopaths. This situation is still not clear cut, he's innocent till proven guilty. There are disturbing reports of his conduct, but, they ARE just reports. Not proven.
He will face a jury. Not a pleasant prospect. And they will decide, based on actual evidence and credible testimony, what really happened. All we have is a jumble of straws, and a line in the sand, across which rhetoric flys like musket balls at Antietam.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:

"Well-regulated"

This guy should get 5-10
Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Only on the Internet does someone think it is a good idea to try and "defuse" a situation when someone is breaking into your house.
He was baited into a garage. He didn't "break" into the guys house. The homeowner ran out the back door of his house after an alarm sounded and shot an unarmed kid in the back as he was fleeing. This is why the idiot homeowner is going to be charged. The fact that you're defending this mans behavior is pathetic. This is why so many people in this country hate gun culture. As a gun enthusiast myself, I'm almost to the point that I don't tell people about my hobbies because I don't want to be associated with individuals like yourself.

my 2 cents

Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If that's a disadvantaged position to be in, sounds like Mr. Kaarma should have used better tactics.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I should never have been near a window when a man was beating on my back door wanting to speak to someone named Joseph but I was in clear view of him while providing 911 a description. It didn't seem to phase him one bit to look down the barrel of a 9mm. Luckily the door held until the police arrived. I was subpoenaed to testify in the trial but he pleaded to criminal trespass.

He had been extremely intoxicated and picked the correct apartment but in the wrong building. His buddy Joseph was in the building to the east of me. He had no idea how close he came to becoming a news report that night.

Unless you actively practice for these types of situations, then tactical mistakes will be made. On the other hand, if you do practice for these types of situations then you will be labeled a paranoid nut case on this forum and you will be accused of premeditated murder if you do have to use your training. Sort of a catch-22 situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies