Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
OK, I'm only going to say this once.

1. The climate has been changing....forever. It will continue to do so.

2. In geologic time, the earth has been an ice-encrusted snowball and it has had a tropical climate in between...repeatedly.

3. Mankind's ability to adapt to inevitable climate change is based on its wealth. It takes money to relocate cities, to change agriculture, to build new harbors and infrastructure.

4. So impoverishing ourselves to reduce the hypothetical temperature by 7 tenths of one degree a hundred years from now is the height of insanity.

Don't be acting like the global warmist lobby (or do you prefer 'climate change lobby?) has a monopoly on sanity, because it does not.
I just need to re-post this, agree 100%. And possibly add:

5. That it is insane arrogance to believe that humans would ever know what the "ideal climate" is and be able to change our behavior to keep it there.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I just need to re-post this, agree 100%. And possibly add:

5. That it is insane arrogance to believe that humans would ever know what the "ideal climate" is and be able to change our behavior to keep it there.
Can you imagine, everyone controlling the weather? and the U.S. using it it war far to wipe out other countries...I mean, think about it...that would make for a very interesting Sci fi.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Hey, in another 30 - 40 years, I'll have some beachfront property to sell you....in Arizona.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Endless hours of watching Fox News.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Endless hours of watching Fox News.

They'll just wait till most of the coastline of the US and the rest of the world disappears, then keep on denying.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
If you dig deep enough, you find out that deserts were rain forests at one time, tropical areas were covered in ice.

The Earth recycles itself and renews itself. Every bit of energy we use will eventually be right back where it was, energy is just transformed, it cannot be used up. Just because it takes eons for this process doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Climate change is for 2nd tier scientists who don't have any imagination or agenda of their own.

There are just too damn many scientists in the world with not enough to do. And they are mucking up the scientific community with all their intellectual spam that diverts attention from what is important.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
doesn't mean to the extend that some would have you believe it does
Carcinogens are all around you, not just in Cigs

and the same with climate change...it happens and has been happening since the beginning of time...climate never stays the same...is it happening faster? Compared to what? So that cannot happen naturally....?

they believe that all of yellowstone park is the result of a meteor hit...natural disasters happen, and sometimes they are not always explainable....

We've had other weather disasters happen, way back before our times....how bout the dust bowl? And other hurrican events, etc.

And conspiracty theory, you mean about the HAARP experimentation? And how about those cloud seeding streaks in the sky?

TruthAlliance.net > News > USA TODAY Admits Government Weather Control Programs

Our government set off Atomic and Nuclear Bombs right here in the U.S. and I suppose that had nothing to do with changing climate, let alone put us all at risk to cancer's for 5 - 6 generations....?

So, if we can believe that our government headed up the "Philadelphia Experiment", then they can also claim that all this weather is being caused by gases, hey, maybe 2nd hand smoke from cigerettes is also causing it?
One more time, then!

Climate change happens naturally. Yes. I agree. I have agreed with this multiple times on multiple threads. If you gave me a petition that said 'let's agree that climate change happens naturally', I would sign it.

But climate change is supposed to happen much slower than it is happening now. Rate means speed. It is happening too quickly, and the planet is struggling to adjust. That is the problem. If you can prove that this speeded up form of climate change is perfectly natural and fine, go for it. But I doubt that you can.

Truthalliance.net?
Seriously?

And if you know you're already being poisoned, it makes zero sense to intentionally consume even higher doses of that poison. That is the most basic thing in the entire world... people who are not suicidal shouldn't make themselves sick.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Paleoconservatives want everything the way things were 100 million years ago.

They can't stand change unless it's change back to normal.
no, that would be paleoliberals. us conservatives want to move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I guess you need further explanation. I'll break it down more simply.

Premise: We as society take "action" to attempt to prevent climate change.
Results:
1) Climate change is WRONG then the worst case scenario - Society possibly endures extra economic hardship for no reason.
2) Climate change is RIGHT then the worst case scenario - Society possibly avoids catastrophic environmental disaster.

Is that simple enough for you now?
you are trying to simplify things far too much. here is a question for you to ponder, lets say we go through the economic disaster you suggest, and we still have a catastrophic event, what then?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
They'll just wait till most of the coastline of the US and the rest of the world disappears, then keep on denying.
your right, the world will someday disappear....the earth is in fact a star, and every star has it's beginning and it's end....so, yeah, someday, but surely not in our lifetime, or in our great great great grand child's lifetime....but will the coasts go under water, yes, maybe they will...because the glaciers are indeed melting....but....before I stake my life on anything, I'll have to see it to believe it....

Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your right, the world will someday disappear....the earth is in fact a star, and every star has it's beginning and it's end....so, yeah, someday, but surely not in our lifetime, or in our great great great grand child's lifetime....but will the coasts go under water, yes, maybe they will...because the glaciers are indeed melting....but....before I stake my life on anything, I'll have to see it to believe it....
Exactly, the only reason there is life here to begin with is because of a huge collision between a ice/dirt/rock asteroid eons ago that superheated the core of the Earth, deposited life giving water and pushed us into the orbit we enjoy around the sun. What was left spun off and became the Moon.

The heat of the core from that collision is still keeping us alive and providing the magnetic field that protects us from lethal gamma rays of the Sun. The core is always cooling, it's just physics. Someday it will cool to the point where the Earth dies.

That is the only fact in all this climate change baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies