Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the USA is the most exceptional country in history?
YES 62 39.74%
NO 90 57.69%
Not Sure - and why? 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It definitely still is.

And how sad it is that some people can't handle that.
It isn't that they can't handle it, it's that they won't accept or admit it. If they admitted that America was exceptional, then they would have to admit that their efforts to spread European idiocy across the pond are counterproductive.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
The US is one of many exceptional countries in history. However, you have to realize how many other nations are in this contest.

The Roman Republic and Empire which lasted thousands of years and stretched across an entire continent without all the technological advances of today

The Chinese Kingdoms and Dynasties

The Greeks who really developed Democracy in its earliest form

The British Empire and its Thousand years of history

The ancient Israelites ...oldest people of the book...survived millennia of atrocities and still have a following "the Jewish people" supposedly or theistically were chosen by covenant

You can look at the Incas, Mayans, Aztecs, Navajo, Inuit,

Then come to realize there were other superpowers before the US

But even modern times, What about Australia becoming a nation free to control every inch of land surrounded by sea on all sides ?

US is miraculous, but it has lots of rivals in the mix. The world is, believe it or not, larger than America and its 200-year history.

The founding fathers of the US would also agree the US is a demonstration of a very remarkable model for global freedom but not the only such model, nor should it be idolized in this way. In fact, the founders were all about the right to dissent and not to exalt this nation above others, but to defend it and preserve it and protect it as best we can. We need to recognize the world is a lot bigger than America but America has an important role in being a world partner.

To the rest of the world, America was a strong power with inherited gifts but never was the country exalted as best nation on earth. It did lead the world in much of the 20th century, but look what we did to ourselves in Civil War times. We shot ourselves in the foot.

Like people like dictators like nations and yes even the US, there is superior authority in higher power than the pride of being an American. And pride without admitting of flaws is not healthy thinking.

Also plenty of nations before us sailed through a period of prosperity far in excess of 238 years

Last edited by EricS39; 05-16-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 03:14 PM

510 posts, read 609,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I think it is. By a long shot even. America is the most powerful country on Earth and it was built by, and continues to be built by, mostly those people that other countries discarded. It was built by the poor that were not given opportunities in the lands of their ancestors.

I think that is a stunning attribute that no other nation in the history of this world can claim.
I would think that Canada, Australia and New Zealand could make similar claims (Not most powerful nation, due to size and other factors, but extremely successful and powerful countries that have similar histories to the US).

Most of South/Central America could also (although maybe not yet to the same level of success).

Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It isn't that they can't handle it, it's that they won't accept or admit it. If they admitted that America was exceptional, then they would have to admit that their efforts to spread European idiocy across the pond are counterproductive.

yeah, and you're not a right winger? BS.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
yeah, and you're not a right winger? BS.
Not by a long shot. I know very few right wingers who support gay marriage, don't care about abortion, and have more friends that are of other ethnic groups than of their own. I'm pretty much a moderate, but I wholeheartedly and categorically disagree with the left on financial policies and gun rights. Any other questions?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I think it is. By a long shot even. America is the most powerful country on Earth and it was built by, and continues to be built by, mostly those people that other countries discarded. It was built by the poor that were not given opportunities in the lands of their ancestors.

I think that is a stunning attribute that no other nation in the history of this world can claim.
Well that the same case as my country Australia. Besides I know an immigrant that first migrated to America and after that to Australia and he fully believes Australia is the promised land.

Yet Australia is not a superpower, it is a middle power. Yet America has not been the only superpower with massive overseas influence in history.

Last edited by other99; 05-16-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not by a long shot. I know very few right wingers who support gay marriage, don't care about abortion, and have more friends that are of other ethnic groups than of their own. I'm pretty much a moderate, but I wholeheartedly and categorically disagree with the left on financial policies and gun rights. Any other questions?

You're a right wing Libertarian. Everyone fend for themselves. Just a right winger that doesn't want to be tainted with the tea party label.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Exceptional? No. We can do better.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I would think that Canada, Australia and New Zealand could make similar claims (Not most powerful nation, due to size and other factors, but extremely successful and powerful countries that have similar histories to the US).

Most of South/Central America could also (although maybe not yet to the same level of success).
Exactly why those countries aren't the most exceptional in history. It is America that is the most powerful country on Earth. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand combined don't even come close the cultural or economic weight of America.

NONE of South/Central America could claim to be the most exceptional. Those countries are universally poor. Some countries, like Costa Rica and Chile do better than others but they are still poor.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well that the same case as my country Australia. Besides I know an immigrant that first migrated to America and after that to Australia and he fully believes Australia is the promised land.

Yet Australia is not a superpower, it is a middle power. Yet America has not been the only superpower with massive overseas influence in history.
Once again, Australia isn't the most powerful country on Earth. America is. Which is why Australia is not the most exceptional.

Also remember that America started taking in Europe's poor and unwanted immigrants for over a century before Australia and Canada did. Canada and Australia were almost exclusively British derived (except for Quebec of course) well into the 20th century. America hasn't been that way since the 1830s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies