Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i also would support such a program, but it would have to be done with just government oversight and money. the worl would have to be done by private industry. and the contracts would have to be written with a performance clause where the company would get a 10% bonus if the complete the work within a specified period of time, AND within a specified cost overrun of no more than say 5%.
Agreed.
Too often these projects turn into feeding-troughs for friends and family and just drag on and on.
I recall when I still lived in NJ and they built the fly-over at the junction of Rt. 4 and 17, they put in exactly that type of clause and the work was done in record time.
Contrast that with the obscene over-runs and delays with the new VA hospital being built in Aurora, CO.
A text-book case on what not to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No because these days it takes years to redo "infrastructure".
Why do you think the stimulus bill ended up repaving roads ?

If you want to see what's involved go read up on the Rockaway Causeway rebuild over Broad Channel in NYC.
They can't just rebuild it now due to all these environment regulations which have to be met.

The best you'll get is more "repaving" of roads, turtle paths under highways and hike & bike trails.
Don't worry. Because of people like you, it will never happen anyway. Enjoy your potholes.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The World as we know it is ending. I agree with the OP. We need to rebuild our infrastructure and we need to start now with the surveys and priorities. I also agree with requiring US workers but would add Union US labor. I also agree with avoiding environmental (and I am an environmentalist) review if the project is to replace an existing structure mostly on the same ROW even if the purpose is changed (i.e. converting and abandoned freight railroad to passenger use for commuter service or something similar). Almost all of this work should be done by private sector contractors operating under well written job specifications and open bidding.

I would pay for this by cutting or ridiculous overseas empire and bloated MIC.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Why do people always turn to the government to try and make things better? History has shown it only gets worse. That's right, we don't pay attention to the past. Remember, "it's different this time".

Not until this whole house of cards collapses can we get back to a half way normal society.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Quote:
Would You Support A New Works Project Administration To Put People To
Work and Revive Our Infrastructure?

Yes.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Turn off QE. Audit the Fed to stop any hidden programs, pay for the programs and I would consider it.

So no, I'll not be supporting any such programs.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Why do people always turn to the government to try and make things better? History has shown it only gets worse. That's right, we don't pay attention to the past. Remember, "it's different this time".

Not until this whole house of cards collapses can we get back to a half way normal society.
"Normal" as in when the government undertook the projects outlined in the OP?

Or funded space exploration?

That kind of "normal?"

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have millions out of work, and our infrastructure is in tatters.

Would you support this type of program again to help jumpstart America and get it caught back up with the 21st Century?

The program was generally considered a success, and the raw truth is that many of the niceties we love and enjoy today came from the WPA program.

If you wouldn't support a revived WPA, then tell us why not?
After seeing the debacle the fed has shown us in handling ANY program, the Big Dig comes to mind, I say NO.

Most projects the fed gets involved in is full of waste, fraud and abuse. There track record miserable.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
We have millions out of work, and our infrastructure is in tatters.

Would you support this type of program again to help jumpstart America and get it caught back up with the 21st Century?
No, it's cost-prohibitive.

Quote:
The program was generally considered a success, and the raw truth is that many of the niceties we love and enjoy today came from the WPA program.
I'm not exactly enjoying the football stadium built by the WPA for Lockland High School. Sure, I enjoy Fairview Park and Bellvue Park and the lovely stone retaining walls they built. And I have driven over some of the bridges.

The program was not a success and it caused more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In 1935 the top tax rate was somewhere around 70% (I think).
That's been debunked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Obama's been pushing this program for years because it makes total sense.
It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
If you wouldn't support a revived WPA, then tell us why not?
1] It fails the Keynesian Test.

The theory behind Keynesian spending is that government specifically targets those sectors of the economy where Capital is being underutilized in order to stimulate those sectors. There is no evidence that infrastructure Capital is being underutilized.

The fact that the infrastructure might require repair, or that infrastructure workers are idle is not proof that Capital is being underutilized. Note that Capital for 8-track tapes/tape-players and buggy whips are highly underutilized.

2] My past comments still stand valid: every administration has failed to formulate a cohesive "energy" plan for transportation.

Gasoline prices were high because you had 49 oil refineries, but only 17 producing gasoline. Now you have 46 oil refineries and only 16 produce gasoline. The supply of gasoline is therefore constant and unchanging, so that as demand continually increases, the price continually increases.

Unless and until an Administration creates a coherent "energy" plan for transportation, no one will build a new refinery to increase gasoline supply, and no investors will put up money to finance it.

Witness the failure of electric cars, hybrids, natural gas cars etc etc etc.

Before spending $TRILLIONS on infrastructure which may not even be necessary or viable, it would be wise to develop a long-term plan.

3] Highway/road infrastructure is a losing game with a lose-lose scenario. You don't have the money to repair it now, and future costs will be prohibitive and create even more of a drag on your economy.

4] The 1930s are not analogous to today. A WPA would not help the laid off data-entry operator and single mother of two who has no training or qualifications or certifications or licenses to operate any of the equipment necessary for infrastructure repair. For the same reason, it will not help the laid-off MBA working part-time at McDonald's.

5] It would only benefit union members who are already trained, qualified, certified or licensed, and working in some capacity, even if it is less than 35 hours per week.

6] Money would be better spent on a plan to shift 85% of your over-the-road trucking to rail freight. As I said 7 years ago, it would create several million jobs that cannot be exported, and the jobs would range from lowly yard ape to senior executive with everything in between.

It would also help extend the life of your infrastructure and reduce your continual fruitless pointless repair costs.

It would also reduce demand for diesel, allowing production of gasoline and increasing the supply of gasoline to help meet continually increasing demand.

Once 85% of your freight was shipped by rail, it would lead to the develop of mass public transportation by private business, which would create even more jobs, plus avoid wasting money on lines no one really wants.

Finally, I find it both amusing and disgusting that global warming nutters would even consider spending money on highway/road infrastructure.....talk about hypocrites.....

Not supporting...

Mircea

Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Normal" as in when the government undertook the projects outlined in the OP?

Or funded space exploration?

That kind of "normal?"
No, "Normal" as people having morals and ethical type thinking. When will people realize the government is so corrupt that anything it does anymore is not for the good of the people. Quit being such dupes and see it for what it is, the demise of society. It's very easy for me to see on a daily basis, but then I don't buy into the MSM either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies