Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should freedom of speech rights be expanded to protect employees of private companies?
Yes 17 25.76%
No 47 71.21%
Not sure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Please read the first amendment. Please. The first lines are: CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW. It means the government cannot restrict free speech. It says nothing, nada zlich regarding private enterprise. Private enterprise is just that, private. Nobody is free from the consequences of being an idiot with a big mouth.
True, but,should private enterprise have no restrictions over what control they can exert over their employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM

594 posts, read 346,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling was suspended for life and fined $2.5 million for racial comments he made during a secretly recorded private conversation.

Miami Dolphins' Don Jones was suspended, fined, and ordered to attend a sensitivity training program for tweeting the words "OMG" and "horrible" after seeing two men kiss on TV.

Last month, Mozilla cofounder Brendan Eich resigned under pressure after it was revealed he had donated $1000 six years ago to the Proposition 8 campaign in California to ban same-sex marriage. Proposition 8 passed in California with 52% of the vote.

I believe Congress needs to step in and take steps to strengthen free-speech rights. Our thoughts and private conversations should not be owned by the employers for whom we work.

If you tell a crude joke to your friends in private on a Saturday night, should your employer have a right to fire you for it?

Isn't Michael Sam tweet free speech? Column
It's this new popular wave of thought, if someone objects to your opinions in privte conversations, or opposses your private mmmmonetary contributions to a group, and they can assemble a loud enough mob of angry activists together, they can ruin your private and personal life and or take away your property

Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
But the private statements became public.

I think it's more a case of the predominantly black NBA and predominantly black LA Clippers potentially refusing to play in light of this information... if they had just given this a pass, there could have been serious issues with the team or the league.

And it would have been within their rights to do so.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Well... I support an employer's right to operate the way they see fit. Thankfully, I work for a company that doesn't feel the need to limit my thoughts, free speech or activities that I may do outside of work. Nothing worse than working for a wanna be dictator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
But the private statements became public.

I think it's more a case of the predominantly black NBA and predominantly black LA Clippers potentially refusing to play in light of this information... if they had just given this a pass, there could have been serious issues with the team or the league.

And it would have been within their rights to do so.
I'd like to know just how seriously every other NBA owner has had their background investigated. Wouldn't surprise me if one or more had things in their past that would make Sterling look like an altar boy.

594 posts, read 346,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
True, but,should private enterprise have no restrictions over what control they can exert over their employees?
But we should not need to guard what we say in private conversation in our own homes, for fear we will be punished for having opinions that employer disagrees with.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
But we should not need to guard what we say in private conversation in our own homes, for fear we will be punished for having opinions that employer disagrees with.
I agree, which was why I asked the question.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM

140 posts, read 126,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I am not clueless about it. I understand that freedom of speech technically only applies to the government's role in regulating speech. But I believe it should be expanded further than that. And I believe the majority of Americans would agree with me.

So, answer the question: do you believe your employer should be able to fire you for something controversial you said in private?
The problem is that most employers don't have to give you a reason when firing you.
We can assume that someone's statements in public could be the reason, but no law forces an employer to state the reason.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
You can say whatever the heck you want on your time and so can I. However if your private thoughts and conversations become public and have the potential to impact my company negatively then I should have the option to fire your arse.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Employment at will, anybody heard of it? If someone thinks they were wrongfully terminated, they have the civil court and the DOL for such disputes.

So, conservatives want to regulate BUSINESS??? really? I thought that was as much a sacred cow to you guys as public assistance is to the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies