Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how many people don't seem to know how poorly nursing home workers are treated.

I once worked the midnight shift in a nursing home. In 1970, nursing staff were not covered under the minimum wage law, and were also not covered under the act that governs overtime.

At a time when minimum wage was 1.60, I was paid 1.10. I also worked 6 days on, 2 off, no overtime. A couple of my coworkers were *high school* kids who went straight from work to class. When they slept or did homework, I have no clue.

This nursing home was divided into wings, with the patients segregated into how their care was paid for. Because I was strong and fast, I was assigned to the "welfare" wing. (On the "private" - patients with insurance - wing, one aide covered 13 patients.) With one other person, I took care of about 44 patients. The first thing we did when we got to work was do all the laundry, since the nursing home only kept on hand enough linens for the bed count. Then we did the charts *for the entire night* since law required every patient be checked on every two hours. Then we got the laundry out of the dryers, loaded it on carts, and checked every patient, changing the ones who needed it. Then we did laundry again. Then we did rounds again.

This was the newest and best nursing home within 50 miles any direction.

Yes, nursing home care is better now. But the basic economics haven't changed. It's still a minimum wage job. It's a hard job because so many patients are confused and disoriented, especially at night. I was hit more than once by a patient, and I was hardly the only one. Some aides were absolutely wonderful, some were just plain mean. Most of us were just trying to get through our 8 hours doing the best we could. And we were all tired and most of us were broke.

But there's money in the nursing home business - just not for those that do most of the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I can't believe how many people don't seem to know how poorly nursing home workers are treated.

I once worked the midnight shift in a nursing home. In 1970, nursing staff were not covered under the minimum wage law, and were also not covered under the act that governs overtime.

At a time when minimum wage was 1.60, I was paid 1.10. I also worked 6 days on, 2 off, no overtime. A couple of my coworkers were *high school* kids who went straight from work to class. When they slept or did homework, I have no clue.

This nursing home was divided into wings, with the patients segregated into how their care was paid for. Because I was strong and fast, I was assigned to the "welfare" wing. (On the "private" - patients with insurance - wing, one aide covered 13 patients.) With one other person, I took care of about 44 patients. The first thing we did when we got to work was do all the laundry, since the nursing home only kept on hand enough linens for the bed count. Then we did the charts *for the entire night* since law required every patient be checked on every two hours. Then we got the laundry out of the dryers, loaded it on carts, and checked every patient, changing the ones who needed it. Then we did laundry again. Then we did rounds again.

Yes, nursing home care is better now. But the basic economics haven't changed. It's still a minimum wage job. It's a hard job because so many patients are confused and disoriented, especially at night. I was hit more than once by a patient, and I was hardly the only one. Some aides were absolutely wonderful, some were just plain mean. Most of us were just trying to get through our 8 hours doing the best we could. And we were all tired and most of us were broke.

But there's money in the nursing home business - just not for those that do most of the work.
Our laundry is done by inmates in prison. Put 'em to work.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Our laundry is done by inmates in prison. Put 'em to work.
How do the people in prisons do your laundry???

This sound interesting.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As well as the fact the RW is quite happy with putting vets in the care of the lowest paid caretakers they can find
Yeah, better to put them out on the streets.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How do the people in prisons do your laundry???

This sound interesting.
With big washing machines. Then they sort everything and ship it out.

While visiting Leclerc and Archambault prisons in Quebec I observed a state of the art inmate operated computerized laundry service. These institutions have private contracts with hospitals and nursing homes. At the Collins Bay facility in Ontario, offenders are tearing down and completely rebuilding city buses. The work is outstanding, the products first-rate.

Roy Green: When Doing Time isn?t Wasting Time (in federal prisons) - CBJ.ca - The Canadian Business Journal

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
With big washing machines. Then they sort everything and ship it out.

While visiting Leclerc and Archambault prisons in Quebec I observed a state of the art inmate operated computerized laundry service. These institutions have private contracts with hospitals and nursing homes. At the Collins Bay facility in Ontario, offenders are tearing down and completely rebuilding city buses. The work is outstanding, the products first-rate.

Roy Green: When Doing Time isn?t Wasting Time (in federal prisons) - CBJ.ca - The Canadian Business Journal
LOL.......I thought they did your laundry.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL.......I thought they did your laundry.
I wish, although I suspect I'd never see my lacy unmentionables again.
I hate doing laundry.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I wish, although I suspect I'd never see my lacy unmentionables again.
I hate doing laundry.
I hear that.....I was ready to pack up for Canada.....

Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Ugh. What a nightmare.

Just think, those nursing homes were heaven compared to the holes we used to put the developmentally disabled in back in the 70s.

Google "Willowbrook". It was a state-run "school" for DD folks on Staten Island. There's a pretty good documentary about it. Just horrid conditions.

For how "advanced" we are the way we treat our most powerless fellow human beings is enough to make you sick.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ugh. What a nightmare.

Just think, those nursing homes were heaven compared to the holes we used to put the developmentally disabled in back in the 70s.

Google "Willowbrook". It was a state-run "school" for DD folks on Staten Island. There's a pretty good documentary about it. Just horrid conditions.

For how "advanced" we are the way we treat our most powerless fellow human beings is enough to make you sick.
Working in group homes with DD folks is what I did.

Intuitions in Michigan were bad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies