Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How do you think the unions got going? Dock workers and Teamsters have been Mafia run for over a century.
My grandpa was one of the first Teamsters....their local was in Charleston WV.

I remember him talking about burning the trucks of guys that would not join....beating them up....dumping their loads....it was bad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,930,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, still have nothing to offer then, aye? Let's see, you've managed to complain about agendas, the source for the article, and Fox News. What you haven't done is offer one single substantive post to this thread. Is that your only goal? To complain and malign? Do you a single original thought at all to add?
My goal is to expose the right-wing fascist agenda for all to see - that is substantive even though you don't like it. I want people like the OP and yourself to explain your anti-labor ideology and your support for replacing our system of government with corporate fascism or plutocracy, after all, that is the real aim of this thread - one among many - but you will not attempt to openly state your view because you dare not imo.
A typical RW tactic born of desperation - the OP went back in time to find examples of labor union malfeasance and stumbled across this recent article from a fascist think-tank, and the linked author virtually repeated the same article he authored back in April 2013. Now this is pretty pathetic. So the author found some union misbehavior and this is the usual RW justification for abolishing unions. Pretty dumb to think that is at all coherent.

So I have "nothing to offer"? Let me once again "offer" you the chance to explain, if not justify, your barefaced anti-labor ideology because that is at the heart of this issue and such a contribution would explain the thinking of the OP, yourself, and most rightist opinion on the matter of labor unions. You might explain the RW contempt of workplace representation for Joe Lunchbox while smugly accepting the "unions" of corporate cabals lobbying our government. I'm sure you can do that if you have nothing to hide.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
My goal is to expose the right-wing fascist agenda for all to see - that is substantive even though you don't like it. I want people like the OP and yourself to explain your anti-labor ideology and your support for replacing our system of government with corporate fascism or plutocracy, after all, that is the real aim of this thread - one among many - but you will not attempt to openly state your view because you dare not imo.
A typical RW tactic born of desperation - the OP went back in time to find examples of labor union malfeasance and stumbled across this recent article from a fascist think-tank, and the linked author virtually repeated the same article he authored back in April 2013. Now this is pretty pathetic. So the author found some union misbehavior and this is the usual RW justification for abolishing unions. Pretty dumb to think that is at all coherent.

So I have "nothing to offer"? Let me once again "offer" you the chance to explain, if not justify, your barefaced anti-labor ideology because that is at the heart of this issue and such a contribution would explain the thinking of the OP, yourself, and most rightist opinion on the matter of labor unions. You might explain the RW contempt of workplace representation for Joe Lunchbox while smugly accepting the "unions" of corporate cabals lobbying our government. I'm sure you can do that if you have nothing to hide.
Oh, you think I won't come out against labor unions? Here you go - I can't stand labor unions and think they are nothing more than corrupt, unnecessary drains on the workers they are supposed to protect. I think their policies of trying to force people onto their rolls, buying politicians, and using shady practices when dealing with opposition are all further proof of their corruption (as demonstrated in this case). In this country, it would be easier to win the lottery than to find an honest union. Yes, I am anti-union. Clear enough for you?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, you think I won't come out against labor unions? Here you go - I can't stand labor unions and think they are nothing more than corrupt, unnecessary drains on the workers they are supposed to protect. I think their policies of trying to force people onto their rolls, buying politicians, and using shady practices when dealing with opposition are all further proof of their corruption (as demonstrated in this case). In this country, it would be easier to win the lottery than to find an honest union. Yes, I am anti-union. Clear enough for you?
A tantrum is not an explanation. You obviously have no clue but only a strangely narrow concept of the history of unions, why they came about, and the fact that the absence of unions are the RW road to a third-world poverty-wage safety-unregulated Bangladesh-style workforce. Why are bosses so good and pure of motive in your right-wing mind?
The question which you continue to avoid is, why do you hate workers' collective representation for their common well-being, things like making sure their factories don't burn down around them? Explain this general right-wing disdain for the American worker - without dodging. Why do you hate unions "buying politicians" but support the more well-heeled employers doing the same? Give it a try.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
A tantrum is not an explanation. You obviously have no clue but only a strangely narrow concept of the history of unions, why they came about, and the fact that the absence of unions are the RW road to a third-world poverty-wage safety-unregulated Bangladesh-style workforce. Why are bosses so good and pure of motive in your right-wing mind?
The question which you continue to avoid is, why do you hate workers' collective representation for their common well-being, things like making sure their factories don't burn down around them? Explain this general right-wing disdain for the American worker - without dodging. Why do you hate unions "buying politicians" but support the more well-heeled employers doing the same? Give it a try.
Actually, I don't support either buying the politicians and would outlaw lobbying all together if I had my druthers. Oh look, yet again, you're assuming something about me and are wrong. Here's something which isn't an assumption. SEIU forced family members caring for their ill family to be part of a home health workers' union, without the benefit of choice or any benefits in return whatsoever. It was yet anther example of the rampant corruption in American unions. Once the force aspect was removed, membership dropped precipitously. If a union was such a good thing, why would it drop only once the forced aspect was removed?

Factories burning down around the workers?? Really? So, all of those Federal regulations put in place to protect workers would just suddenly disappear? That's the problem with you extremist liberals. If I say less government, you automatically think 'no government'. If I say unions in America are corrupt and I'm against them, we're suddenly going to become a 'third-world poverty-wage safety-unregulated Bangladesh-style workforce'. Have you any ability to make a non-emotional argument? Or does hyperbole come naturally to you?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, I don't support either buying the politicians and would outlaw lobbying all together if I had my druthers. Oh look, yet again, you're assuming something about me and are wrong. Here's something which isn't an assumption. SEIU forced family members caring for their ill family to be part of a home health workers' union, without the benefit of choice or any benefits in return whatsoever. It was yet anther example of the rampant corruption in American unions. Once the force aspect was removed, membership dropped precipitously. If a union was such a good thing, why would it drop only once the forced aspect was removed?

Factories burning down around the workers?? Really? So, all of those Federal regulations put in place to protect workers would just suddenly disappear? That's the problem with you extremist liberals. If I say less government, you automatically think 'no government'. If I say unions in America are corrupt and I'm against them, we're suddenly going to become a 'third-world poverty-wage safety-unregulated Bangladesh-style workforce'. Have you any ability to make a non-emotional argument? Or does hyperbole come naturally to you?
Here is your right-wing preferred, deregulated, "free market", non-union workplace. Bangladesh isn't the only place either, but of course corporate-fascist Fox is silent on all this stuff for obvious reasons. Why do you think American companies do their manufacturing there? Got a clue? It's to get dirt-cheap indentured labor and escape those nasty "unfair" safety regulations fought for by "greedy" unions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/wo...anted=all&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/wo...s-many.html?hp
Apple: Poor working conditions inside the Chinese factories making iPads | Mail Online

Yep, the ideal workplace - save the owners some money by minimizing safety standards, place workers behind locked doors, install suicide nets, house impoverished workers in dormitories, and when the factory burns down or collapses, those workers are easily replaced - what's not to like? So American corporations are "forced" offshore by "greedy unions" who just refuse to understand the plight of the CEO and the needs of the shareholder for the highest possible profit.

All right-wing anti-union actions are designed to disempower the lowly worker by destroying collective bargaining (that's what the OP is all about) and handing more power and wealth to the bosses. Since you are apparently against collective bargaining (all unions are of course "corrupt" and must be destroyed) which is the only bargaining chip the worker has, You really need to explain and justify the blatant RW disdain for American workers, and why disempowering them is good for America.
This thread is all about that, and not just the SEIU - who are you kidding?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,213 times
Quote:

Unions are criminal enterprises through and through.

They ally with the government as birds of a feather flock together.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Unions are criminal enterprises through and through.

They ally with the government as birds of a feather flock together.
How enlightening.
Okay here's a chance to contribute - how do unions, as opposed to other institutions, unduly "ally with government"?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Here is your right-wing preferred, deregulated, "free market", non-union workplace. Bangladesh isn't the only place either, but of course corporate-fascist Fox is silent on all this stuff for obvious reasons. Why do you think American companies do their manufacturing there? Got a clue? It's to get dirt-cheap indentured labor and escape those nasty "unfair" safety regulations fought for by "greedy" unions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/wo...anted=all&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/wo...s-many.html?hp
Apple: Poor working conditions inside the Chinese factories making iPads | Mail Online

Yep, the ideal workplace - save the owners some money by minimizing safety standards, place workers behind locked doors, install suicide nets, house impoverished workers in dormitories, and when the factory burns down or collapses, those workers are easily replaced - what's not to like? So American corporations are "forced" offshore by "greedy unions" who just refuse to understand the plight of the CEO and the needs of the shareholder for the highest possible profit.

All right-wing anti-union actions are designed to disempower the lowly worker by destroying collective bargaining (that's what the OP is all about) and handing more power and wealth to the bosses. Since you are apparently against collective bargaining (all unions are of course "corrupt" and must be destroyed) which is the only bargaining chip the worker has, You really need to explain and justify the blatant RW disdain for American workers, and why disempowering them is good for America.
This thread is all about that, and not just the SEIU - who are you kidding?
Here's what I hear from you - blah, blah, blah. Stop trying to make this thread your manifesto. If you have something to say about these corrupt practices of SEIU, say it. If not, go start your own thread. You tire me with your babble.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
If you could get something for nothing, wouldn't you? No surprise here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies