Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO....I am "fiscally conservative" and "socially liberal".....as long as it is legal.

I do not care what other do......I just will not pay for it.
In other words, you are socially conservative. Conservatives are people who think society is better off if govt has little to do with their everyday affairs.

If you wanted government to make laws controlling what people do, in matters outside of obvious crimes like assault, murder, theft, rape etc., then you would be "socially liberal".

Or are you making the mistake of thinking that "liberal" means "promoting liberty", as it did a hundred years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In other words, you are socially conservative.

If you wanted government to make laws controlling what people do, in matters outside of obvious crimes like assault, murder, theft, rape etc., then you would be "socially liberal".

Or are you making the mistake of thinking that "liberal" means "promoting liberty", as it did a hundred years ago?
I do not want laws outside of the obvious.

If a women wants an abortion.....that is between her and her doctor.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I do not want laws outside of the obvious.

If a women wants an abortion.....that is between her and her doctor.
And her baby.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
In fairness, you have accused (several times) all conservatives of being motivated by hate and fear. I think it's perfectly on topic to point out the fallacy and utter lack of evidence to support your position. I believe you also lumped all Republicans in there too at some point? As a conservative, not only do I completely reject your baseless definition but I also find it quite insulting that you would be so quick to accuse so many of your fellow citizens of such a thing.
I accuse conservatives in general, not screen names. And conservatism as a political ideology is at it core about exclusion and that manifests itself in the need for conservative to have out groups they that both hate and fear.

I stand by that. I think it without a doubt accurate and explains much of what conservatives do and say in the area of public policy.

How on the one hand they complain about big government, but on the other hand the most popular government programs with conservatives are the largest and costliest with the most government employees and the most government control.

Big government in America is Social Security, Medicare and all military spending and yet conservatives love all three programs.

Instead what conservatives mostly complain about when talking about big government are a handful of some of the smallest least expensive, least controlled by the federal government programs that benefit certain groups of Americans.

When one understands that for conservatives exclusion is the core of that ideology, and hatred of out groups is manifestation of that core belief, then it is easy to reconcile the passion with which they attack the smallest government program and generally liking and supporting the largest ones based on who those programs help in the minds of conservatives.

Those big government programs help people that conservative identify with and those smaller programs in the minds of conservatives help out groups people they hate.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I accuse conservatives in general, not screen names. And conservatism as a political ideology is at it core about exclusion and that manifests itself in the need for conservative to have out groups they that both hate and fear.

I stand by that. I think it without a doubt accurate and explains much of what conservatives do and say in the area of public policy.

How on the one hand they complain about big government, but on the other hand the most popular government programs with conservatives are the largest and costliest with the most government employees and the most government control.

Big government in America is Social Security, Medicare and all military spending and yet conservatives love all three programs.

Instead what conservatives mostly complain about when talking about big government are a handful of some of the smallest least expensive, least controlled by the federal government programs that benefit certain groups of Americans.

When one understands that for conservatives exclusion is the core of that ideology, and hatred of out groups is manifestation of that core belief, then it is easy to reconcile the passion with which they attack the smallest government program and generally liking and supporting the largest ones based on who those programs help in the minds of conservatives.

Those big government programs help people that conservative identify with and those smaller programs in the minds of conservatives help out groups people they hate.
This conservative does not participate in SS and will get nothing out.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
As you've probably noticed, little iamme places great faith in his mentor Goebbels' dictum that if you tell a big enough lie, often enough, people will believe it and it becomes The Truth. It forms the basis for all his insults, lies, and smear about conservatives... none of which he can back up.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but your ASSumptions and generalizations are certainly not fact! Remember, repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true. But, feel free to carry on with your rant about what you think that all conservatives think.
I don't make assumptions. I have read a lot of books about conservatives. I have listened to a lot of conservatives talk about Americans and public policy and there is no doubt that conservatives generally speaking hate millions of their fellow Americans and think of them as moocher, takers, breeders, criminals, immoral, etc and so on. These kinds of words are the actual words that conservatives use to describe their fellow Americans over and over and over again.

So no Iam on solid ground with my analysis of conservatism.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:

Actually, you're describing Neo-Cons' actions, not conservatives. I hold quite a bit of disdain for Neo-Cons. They're big government, but only for 'certain' things. It's a hypocritical position. Conservatives are for a smaller central government (and yes that includes SS, Medicare, and military) and having government local as much as possible. We are not exclusionary in the least. In fact, the primary tenet of conservatives is that everyone has equal opportunity and equal standing. This does mean no special programs for certain groups but also not exclusions of any groups either - true equal footing. I think someone earlier said 'true' conservatives compromise a smaller percentage of the modern day Republican party and yes, that's true (although I disagree on that percentage). That's also why you have seen so much upheaval in the Republican party as we try and purge our party of these Neo-Cons.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Irrelevant

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
SS is a program that has been taking money from you and me since we first started working, without our consent.

If the govt offers me a chance to get some of the stolen loot back, I'll probably accept... but that doesn't mean I approve of the program that stole it in the first place.

If I could get rid of SS completely, today, and give back to the people the money that has been taken from them, I'd do it immediately. The country would be MUCH better off.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 05-16-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies