Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually I am not free to buy a home, because government prohibits the sale of the tiny homes I can afford to buy. Minimum lot size requirements add a burdensome expense of unwanted extra land which takes properties out of my affordability range.
What do you consider affordable? How much do you currently pay in rent per month? give me a number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What do you consider affordable? How much do you currently pay in rent per month? give me a number.

I pay $600 per month rent.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
We already redistribute wealth--but only among the working class (which as a whole is much poorer than it was when I was young). Liberals think our very aggressive income tax system is fair and sensible, while ignoring the fact that the ultra-rich and powerful, as well as Big Business and Big Government, actually profit from the tax system that drains the working class dry.

A national sales tax would be much FAIRER than an income tax system (it wouldn't punish savers and hard workers so much), but we all know that Big Government has grown far too large and corrupt to EVER abandon the multi-trillion-dollar cash flow coming from the working class via income taxes.

The experience of my extended family over the past 30 years proves the point that the people who puts extreme effort into studying in school, investing in higher education, working like a dog for decades, and doing everything RIGHT, will be living a very similar quality of life to those who never put a bit of effort into anything, while creating a large number of children to be financed by the taxpayer. The former may have a larger net worth, but they are indistinguishable in terms of quality of life--vacations, free time, buying both necessities and luxuries, etc.

There simply aren't many jobs left in this nation that can compete with the financial advantage of having the taxpayer pay for everything you want/need--even if you ignore the fact that full time workers lose 2000 hours a year working at their jobs, plus commute time and costs associated with working.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
We already redistribute wealth--but only among the working class (which as a whole is much poorer than it was when I was young). Liberals think our very aggressive income tax system is fair and sensible, while ignoring the fact that the ultra-rich and powerful, as well as Big Business and Big Government, actually profit from the tax system that drains the working class dry.

A national sales tax would be much FAIRER than an income tax system (it wouldn't punish savers and hard workers so much), but we all know that Big Government has grown far too large and corrupt to EVER abandon the multi-trillion-dollar cash flow coming from the working class via income taxes.

The experience of my extended family over the past 30 years proves the point that the people who puts extreme effort into studying in school, investing in higher education, working like a dog for decades, and doing everything RIGHT, will be living a very similar quality of life to those who never put a bit of effort into anything, while creating a large number of children to be financed by the taxpayer. The former may have a larger net worth, but they are indistinguishable in terms of quality of life--vacations, free time, buying both necessities and luxuries, etc.

There simply aren't many jobs left in this nation that can compete with the financial advantage of having the taxpayer pay for everything you want/need--even if you ignore the fact that full time workers lose 2000 hours a year working at their jobs, plus commute time and costs associated with working.

Except that every national sales tax proposal I've seen would redististribute vast sume upward from renters to homeowners, which is a lot like imposing an individual mandate to own a home and then imposing a tax for not owning a home.

Last edited by freemkt; 06-19-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I pay $600 per month rent.
So if you do an 80/20 mortgage with zero down, you can afford roughly an $80,000 (taking into account property tax) home on a 30 year mortgage while paying the same as you currently pay in rent. You said you live in Michigan. the mean home price is only $130,000 for your state. You can absolutely afford a home paying the same for a mortgage as you pay in rent.

Hell, prices are so cheap in Michigan that you can get a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house for what you pay in rent!

439 Inkster Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 is For Sale - Zillow

You complain about not being able to afford to buy all the time, but you can afford $600/mo? There are literally millions of people in this country who buy homes for less than that.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:07 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
??? I live in Michigan where a rental property is taxed 30% - 100% more than if it's owner-occupied. In other words, in Michigan, rental properties typically have larger tax bills than neighboring owner-occupied homes of greater value. And the upward redistribution to which I refer occurs through the supply controls known as zoning and demonstrated by Thomas Sowell (Markets and Minorities, Chapter 7).
I don't live in Michigan.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Actually I am not free to buy a home, because government prohibits the sale of the tiny homes I can afford to buy. Minimum lot size requirements add a burdensome expense of unwanted extra land which takes properties out of my affordability range.
First of all, you ARE free to buy a home. You just can't buy the fictitious home that live in your fantasies.

Secondly, you continue to say that you COULD afford to buy this magical home, but you also continually talk about not being able to pay the barest of rents. How could you possibly buy a home in that case?

Your affordability range appears to be next to nothing, which won't by you ANY property, no matter how small.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
??? If the renter moves, the property tax deferral would be lost.

Renters pay more for housing than to homeowners, how is it that homeowners drive economic growth while spending less?
Exactly how do renters pay more?

My home costs me $1000 a month. I also have to pay insurance and property taxes. And I put a down payment on my home.

A renter in my neighborhood pays $900 a month. They might pay insurance, but that is optional. They pay no property taxes.

Just last month I spent quite a bit of money to enclose my yard and put up a new fence. That put money into our local economy. This weekend I am buying a new refrigerator. Two weeks ago I spent money on air conditioning repair.

The renter in my neighborhood spent zero on their home.

Who exactly drives economic growth in this case? Who spent less on the property?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:15 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
I always love how people think a national income tax would somehow be more fair.

Will we tax the sale of companies to other companies?
How about the sales of stocks?
Bonds?
A house?

Exception after exception would occur, until at the end, the poor and middle class would be the ones primarily affected.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, you ARE free to buy a home. You just can't buy the fictitious home that live in your fantasies.

Secondly, you continue to say that you COULD afford to buy this magical home, but you also continually talk about not being able to pay the barest of rents. How could you possibly buy a home in that case?

Your affordability range appears to be next to nothing, which won't by you ANY property, no matter how small.

??? I have rented and lived in tiny houses, but the houses cannot be sold independently of additional property which makes it unaffordable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies