Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's funny when people who can't even make it on their own, people who need government assistance think they know what a business can afford. It's funny when they can't even handle their own household that they think they know what they are talking about.
True. Now the good news is this same group is working one McJob after another, so while they whine all the time, they fail to take personal responsibility and do what they need to improve their financial situation, and 98% of the harm they do is simply to their own family units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
It's funny when people who can't even make it on their own, people who need government assistance think they know what a business can afford. It's funny when they can't even handle their own household that they think they know what they are talking about.
Who are you talking about? You are referring to a post I said, but then talking about some random other person completely when you use the word "they."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True. Now the good news is this same group is working one McJob after another, so while they whine all the time, they fail to take personal responsibility and do what they need to improve their financial situation, and 98% of the harm they do is simply to their own family units.
There's that "they" again.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well seeing you seem to think that people want to be living off the government, why would anyone want to take a minimum wage job if it doesn't pay enough so that they wouldn't need government assistance? By your logic, almost no one should be working at Walmart, yet they have plenty of staffing working minimum wage jobs.
Again, and just like you did on another thread you are attempting to tell me what I think.

And by your logic, if government keeps taking more and more of the money I earn why would I want to work. So I can pay for someone else who wouldn't even do what it takes to improve their skills?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

You won't see an immediate effect, but you will see youth/unskilled unemployment skyrocket and a huge supply of labor flood into the city.
Well I won't be holding my breath waiting for that effect to happen in San Jose.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who are you talking about? You are referring to a post I said, but then talking about some random other person completely when you use the word "they."

There's that "they" again.
lol, and now for a liberal tactic. When "they" don't like what is being said out comes the spelling and grammar police

Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Please understand...

If I hire people to make clay pots, and one hour's worth of labor making clay pots is only worth $8, and the minimum wage is $10, then I will NEVER hire anyone to make clay pots.

If you lack skills, such that nothing you can do is worth $15 per hour, then you cannot be employed.

It's that simple.

The higher the minimum wage, the fewer people without skills can be employed, and the fewer jobs will be hired to have people fill them.

Many talk about raising prices to make the wages work. Great. Then once you earn your $15, prices and expenses have risen, and you have no more purchasing power than BEFORE the wage raise.

The government, however, will have stolen a significant percentage of our productivity from the economy and a significant percentage of the value of our money and wages.
Take the same view from the other angle, if you can't pay fifteen dollars an hour you may not be in a do-able business much longer , this hoopla over wages is the same lament we heard years back when the min wage was raised, oh I remember well the shouting and crying from the business owners who were supposedly going to go broke, maybe they did go broke, I don't know and don't care, and apparently no one else does either. The truth here is a simple one......... PRICES RISE WITHOUT MUCH CONSIDERATION OF WAGES, in other words, if YOU don't get a raise then you are falling behind, ,most people over fifty have seen this time and again, prices rise first, then wages are chasing those prices.............Get it?????

Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Again, and just like you did on another thread you are attempting to tell me what I think.

And by your logic, if government keeps taking more and more of the money I earn why would I want to work. So I can pay for someone else who wouldn't even do what it takes to improve their skills?
So you don't think people living on government assistance want to be living on government assistance? Your posts tend to suggest otherwise, so I wasn't actually telling you what you think.

Why do you work if you don't like the fact that you have to pay taxes? Why not give up work all together so you can be like the other elitists that don't pay taxes?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
lol, and now for a liberal tactic. When "they" don't like what is being said out comes the spelling and grammar police
False, that wasn't the spelling and grammar police, that was the vague use of the word "they" police.

It is easy to say "they" are the enemy, it is harder to specifically address who "they" are.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Well that's because they are being fed BS. They believe in big government and think the politicians actually care. That is the height of naivety and ignorance.

The only time government feeds those lines is to get elected, once in office everything is off the table except for the occasional bone being thrown out to the masses just enough to keep them believing.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Take the same view from the other angle, if you can't pay fifteen dollars an hour you may not be in a do-able business much longer , this hoopla over wages is the same lament we heard years back when the min wage was raised, oh I remember well the shouting and crying from the business owners who were supposedly going to go broke, maybe they did go broke, I don't know and don't care, and apparently no one else does either.
A good friend works in a plant where the local market pushed the lower skill level jobs past the point of being profitably made in America. So they import the product now from China, and that department that priced itself out of jobs does not exist, but they did add one receiving clerk. Approximately 100 jobs were eliminated, 99 net lost jobs with that new shipping clerk, but the major employer in town did add 1,500 jobs in 5 years. It is a mall, and 90% pay $9 or less per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies