Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then don't quote Levitical laws. If you don't follow them, don't expect me to.
I was responding to a question in a post.....I do not care what or, who you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. Jesus didnt say that

2.Context matters. the lines following and preceding that line talk about sleeping with your father's wife, your daughter in law , neighbor's wife, curing your parents,marrying 2 women at the same time, screwing an animal, sex during periods. Most of those talk about executing people and yet we dont hear about it now do we.

What made being gay a focal point of Christians. Is it simply that most of them broke the other rules ?
I did not say Jesus said that.....I just posted a link.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
My thing is that I noticed the gay rights movement ONLY piggybacks on the BLACK civil rights movement....why never the Jews and the Holocaust? Especially since gays are persecuted abroad, just as Jews have been...whats so sacred and off limits about the comparison to ethnic Jews? Is it because they control the media and the purse strings in the US and abroad, and stealing thier victim status would be financially costly?....why never the Indians?...after all, they were born indian too....or why never compare being gay to the womens movement?...not like they could choose to be a woman....

No instead its always and only compared to being black...something that is a genetic expression resulting from evolution that took place while living in the climate and environment of their geographic origin....which is all race really is to begin with...race is is not just a matter of being innate for no known reason.. its more of a set of common evolutionary adaptations to a geographic environment that has been genetically passed from one generation to the next. ...blacks and every other race evolved as a result of the need to adapt to an environment, to become what we recognize the races to be today.
Because the arguments used against same sex marriage are the exact same arguments used against interracial marriage.

Quote:
Here are four of the arguments they used:

1) First, judges claimed that marriage belonged under the control of the states rather than the federal government.

2) Second, they began to define and label all interracial relationships (even longstanding, deeply committed ones) as illicit sex rather than marriage.

3) Third, they insisted that interracial marriage was contrary to God's will, and

4) Fourth, they declared, over and over again, that interracial marriage was somehow "unnatural."

On this fourth point--the supposed "unnaturality" of interracial marriage--judges formed a virtual chorus. Here, for example, is the declaration that the Supreme Court of Virginia used to invalidate a marriage between a black man and a white woman in 1878:

The purity of public morals," the court declared, "the moral and physical development of both races….require that they should be kept distinct and separate… that connections and alliances so unnatural that God and nature seem to forbid them, should be prohibited by positive law, and be subject to no evasion.
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
History News Network | Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage Is Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IF that were the case we'd be suffering coalitions of 'the holies' telling us we can't eat shrimp or pork, wear a cotton shirt with wool trousers, spare the rod when dealing with our children, etc., etc., etc. Eh?

Seems to me an awful lot of Bible cherry picking goes on when self-professed Christians tell us just what they approve of and what they don't.
I am not a Christian at all.

The Bible is just a book.....a good book with some good life lessons......just like any other book....take from it what you will.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:14 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
As long as that is how "people" get here, there will always be push back on this issue!!
I don't see why. It doesn't make much sense, unless people are that insecure in their relationships.

Quote:
Even if the lab route or surrogates are used, there still must be genetic material from both a man and a woman!!
Haven't been paying attention to recent studies, have you?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Interracial marriage has been around long as marriage itself. Jim Crow laws existed just to criminalize anyone who wasn't white. If you were white and gay at that time, you wouldn't be exactly subjected to the same punishment as blacks would.

Since I am not black, I cannot say how I would feel about CRM being compared to Gay rights. It wouldn't be fair to AAs as they've had a harsh, documented history. I think the group that suffers the most is probably women.
Again, clearly in my post I wrote that no group experiences what black people face in this nation.
So restating that as if I disagree is pointless.

I already dealt with why any oppressed group is going to follow the civil rights movement in America is because of its overwhelming success.

Also, no race owns history or understanding history. So any person can comment about any aspect of history that they please regardless of who they are.

This has nothing to do with fairness in terms of using the model of the Civil rights movement it has to do with that movements effectiveness.

Bans on interracial marriage in America long predate Jim Crow.

But that still doesn't change the reality that in America a lot of the rhetoric that opponents of interracial marriage used is the same rhetoric used by opponents of gay marriage. This is objective reality.

From the religious belief argument, to the this is going to destabilize communities and people argument, to the this is going to damage the institution of marriage argument, and on and on, all of these arguments were used against interracial marriage in America. This is objective reality.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Black PASTORS?
Big surprise.
The black COMMUNITY has said no such thing. The black bible bangers see it differently, but then, so do the white bangers.
Are you saying, blacks have no morals without religion?.. I believe black people are moral people as well .. many know right from wrong and know homosexual acts are deviant behavior.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did not say Jesus said that.....I just posted a link.
but this is the post you responded to

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHERE in the Bible Jesus addresses the issue of homosexuality yet they'll tell us he did.

Can you?
either you ignored the context, or you accidentally responded to the wrong post.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
For all the white liberals out there that insist that gay marriage is the same as the
civil rights blacks were fighting for is dead wrong. Even the black community has said it.

Coalition Of Black Pastors Speaks Out Against Gay Marriage
You're just now finding out that the Black church hates equality? Where have you been?

There are many Democrats that are socially conservative. Everyone has their own reasons to pull one lever or another.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
but this is the post you responded to

either you ignored the context, or you accidentally responded to the wrong post.
Neither....

But, I also was not clear.......I was just pointing out where the stance comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies