Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,065,705 times

Advertisements

Watch an early clip from tonight's NSA documentary 'United States of Secrets' | The Verge

Quote:
Last week, PBS aired the first half of United States of Secrets, a Frontline
documentary covering the rise of US surveillance in the wake of September 11th,
2001. Produced by Michael Kirk (who worked on the award-winning NFL expose
League of Denial), the first half contextualized last year's leaked documents
through interviews with government officials, whistleblowers, and journalists.
It didn't include new revelations, but it captured the mood of a decade, when
the intelligence community was given the power to prevent further terrorist
attacks at any cost. As the world would learn in 2013, the NSA used those
broadly defined powers to store the phone records of millions of Americans,
denying that it did so until faced with a leaked court order sent to Verizon.
Tonight, the second half of the series will pick up that thread again, this time
focusing on the NSA's relationship with Silicon Valley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the Obama administration has been proudly carrying out the same policies that the Bush administration did, if Cheney goes to prison his cellmate should be Eric Holder...
Yup- and throw in all the banking executives as well.

Corruption is not a partisan issue.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,012,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but here is an interview with Glenny G. that deals with certain themes of this thread.

"Once people understood that this extraordinary system of suspicionless surveillance, which was truly unprecedented in scope, had been created completely in the dark, it became more than a surveillance story," Greenwald says. "It became a story about government secrecy and accountability and the role of journalism, and certainly privacy and surveillance in the digital age."
Part Deux of the interview:

"In part two of our extended interview, journalist Glenn Greenwald tells the inside story of meeting National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden. Greenwald and filmmaker Laura Poitras were the journalists who first met Snowden in Hong Kong last June, going on to publish a series of disclosures that exposed massive NSA surveillance to the world. Greenwald has just come out with a new book on the Snowden leaks and their fallout, "No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State." Recalling his first encounter with Snowden, Greenwald says: "The big question was: How are we going to know that it’s you? We know nothing about you. We don’t know how old you are, what you look like or what your race is or even your gender. And he said, ’You’ll know me because I’ll be holding in my left hand a Rubik’s cube.’ And so, he walked in, was holding a Rubik’s cube, came over to us, introduced himself, and that was how we met him."

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,696,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Just another reason why I don't watch the very liberal PBS.
Yes, hearing the harsh truth is just too much for you. I'm surprised you haven't suffocated yourself by now. You have your head so far buried in the sand(or somewhere else) that it is amazing that you are still breathing.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 AM

58,571 posts, read 26,876,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Yes, hearing the harsh truth is just too much for you. I'm surprised you haven't suffocated yourself by now. You have your head so far buried in the sand(or somewhere else) that it is amazing that you are still breathing.
I suggest you look into a mirror before attempting to insult any one else.

It seem all you have is juvenile insults.

Better check for black helicopters first!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,065,705 times
Default Part 2: Privacy Lost

Here's the link to the one hour conclusion of Front Line's United States of Secrets report titled Privacy Lost.

United States of Secrets | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,012,361 times
Glennie G. on Snowden.

"In his new book, "No Place to Hide," journalist Glenn Greenwald provides new details on Edward Snowden’s personal story and his motivation to expose the U.S. surveillance state. "The stuff I saw really began to disturb me. I could watch drones in real time as they surveilled the people they might kill," Snowden told Greenwald about his time as a National Security Agency contractor. "You could watch entire villages and see what everyone was doing. I watched NSA tracking people’s Internet activities as they typed. I became aware of just how invasive U.S. surveillance capabilities had become. I realized the true breadth of this system. And almost nobody knew it was happening."

Greenwald joins us in studio to describe the inside story of the man behind the NSA leaks. "The fact that this individual with no power was knowingly risking everything in his life for a political cause, and really ended up changing the world, I think is a remarkable lesson for everybody," Greenwald says. "It’s certainly something that’s inspired me and has shaped how I think about things — and probably will for the rest of my life."

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,903,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The PBS broadcast United States of Secrets makes a strong case for throwing former VP Dick Cheney and his lackey General Michael Hayden in prison for circumventing the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Next Week: How Silicon Valley Feeds the NSA’s Global Dragnet

I guess companies like Google and Microsoft won't be able to claim innocence any longer.
No they can still claim all they want, LOL.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,082,112 times
It seems like the solution to this is very simple-- require warrants.

This is a mess that we've created by being more afraid of extremely rare acts of terrorism than we are protective of our civil liberties. This is not a right/left issue, but an issue where in the name of safety (a certainly positive intention) we've let this get way out of hand.

The average American isn't concerned about this-- and it's certainly much deeper than what you choose to reveal on Facebook.

Perhaps we have a chance in the last two years of the Obama administration to get something done about this.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,754,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The PBS broadcast United States of Secrets makes a strong case for throwing former VP Dick Cheney and his lackey General Michael Hayden in prison for circumventing the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Next Week: How Silicon Valley Feeds the NSA’s Global Dragnet

I guess companies like Google and Microsoft won't be able to claim innocence any longer.
But they didn't bother to tell the public about all of the unconstitutional things Obama has done. Yeah....liberal media at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies