Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I know a few individuals (no political party affiliation necessary) who are staunch opponents of government assistance programs of any kind; and highly criticize individuals and groups who do. Yet, these same individuals, who CAN AFFORD TO PAY and send their kids to top-notch Universities have children in the Naval Academy and West Point, respectively, receiveing 100% free tuition from the U.S. Government.

Seems like a case of hypocrisy too me, but they don't see it that way.
Because going to the academies is in exchange for skills; it is a job.

What are food stamp people giving in exchange? What extra work are they doing for the gov? What needed skill are they giving in exchange for their freebie?

The academies supply officers for the military, people who receive food stamps provide what?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It takes effort and skill to remain in a military academy...but not to get in. And only those with the proper connections get the opportunity.
That is incorrect. The admissions office at the academy evaluates the applicants, who then compete for nomination from their Congressman or Senator.

It would be unusual for the applicant to be personally known to the person who actually provides the nomination.

in addition, some applicants are accepted from the wait list without a Congressional nomination, and applicants who are already service members do not need a nomination.

The process is complicated, and it is not a matter of "proper connections." It assures that every state and territory gets represented in the class.

Nominations and Admissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
West Point..1100 SAT and 23 ACT
Admissions - FAQ_Soldiers

Annapolis ...1700 SAT and 24 ACT
Annapolis - GPA and Test Scores Needed for Admission to the United States Naval Academy

Yeah.."bare bones".
Your first link is for active duty soldiers considering admission, not all West Point applicants.

Quote:
When I went to college everybody in my class had SATs above 1800. That is typical of most engineering schools which is what the academies are basically. 3.8 and 3.9 GPAs are also common.

So yes the admission requirements are relatively pedestrian as long as you have pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In a sense, they do. They get paid a salary while going there.

The entrance requirements are similar to most liberal arts colleges and flagship public universities.
The basic requirements may be similar, but I doubt that the profile of accepted students is comparable. For the West Point Class of 2015:

http://www.westpoint.edu/classes/Sit...015profile.pdf

Mean ACT sub-scores were 28 to 30. Mean SAT verbal was 627 and math 648. Twenty percent had verbal SAT scores between 700 and 800 and 26% had math scores in that range.

No GPA is given, but 71% were in the top 20% of their high school classes.

Admission to any of the service academies is highly competitive.

Cadets do get paid, but that money has to cover certain expenses. At West Point:

"A first-year cadet earns more than $900 a month, and the amount increases each year. A portion of that cadet pay is deposited into a personal checking account. Another portion of cadet pay is deposited to a 'Cadet Account' that is used to help a cadet pay for expenses such as uniforms, books, a computer, activity fees, etc. Each cadet pays a standard amount for laundry, dry cleaning, haircuts, tailoring services and shoe repair. A cadet's gross salary is subject to federal and state withholding taxes and Social Security deductions."

Admissions - FAQ_Life

Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In a sense, they do. They get paid a salary while going there.

When I went (in the early 90's), my salary was $550/month. And most of that was kept back for expenses the Academy provides - but does not pay for - most of which was my computer. The first year (Fourth classman) - my net was a whopping $50/month. Only the 1st classman (seniors) received most of the $550/month.

The entrance requirements are similar to most liberal arts colleges and flagship public universities.
The minimum requirements might be similar to a liberal arts college or flagship public universities, but the ones that are actually accepted have much higher credentials of which to speak. There are roughly 10,000 applications for 1400 slots for the Freshman class. Those 1400 not only have to be the best of the best of those 10,000, but they have to have impressed a Congressman, Senator and/or a Vice President. These aren't the same kids that are getting into UNC or Virginia Tech (not to knock these students at all, just using examples).

And I think you're still missing the small bit about these applicants having to meet the height/weight standards of the military, the medical requirements and of course the physical fitness exams. Could every student applying to University of Tennessee meet these? I think not.

And another thing (Ivoc)... one of my roommates was raised solely by his single mother who worked as a store manager in a mall. Could you please tell me exactly was kind of political pull or connections she had that gave her son an advantage? Please stop spewing your bilge. You look like a fool each time you use that statement.

Last edited by Starman71; 05-18-2014 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes it is a handout, as is joining the military itself
lol

Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
As I recall, they have to serve 4 years in the military after they graduate.

How about we ask the welfare leeches to perform some service for their free loot?
Nope. It's a minimum of 6 years.
While most of the military school's graduates do leave the active service, many join the Reserves and stay in them for a career's length of time.
Some officer specialties may pay lower in the Reserves, but the chances for advancement in rank may be greater.
Joining the Reserves also changes the odds of being cut during the times when the military active duty ranks are being cut.The active duty cuts may not apply to the reserves, and a Reservist officer can always go back to active duty at any time.

As far as the free tuition goes, I have no quarrel with it. The military academies create an esprit d'corps that is fundamental for a professional officer corps, and the United States will need professional officers forever.

From the very first, our academy graduates have been some of the finest in the world. Admiral Farragut taught our navy to shoot the masts off the sail powered ships of his time, and our Navy, however tiny it was, became the terror of both Britain and France through Farragut's tactics and his gunner's good aim. We crippled warships that could withstand broadsides, and captured them after the fight was over.

General Billy Mitchell showed the superiority of air power when used in naval battles, even when he lost his job from doing so. In a decade and a half, he was proved right when Annapolis trained Admirals and aviators crippled the only other naval force that had equal air power. The Japanese took Mitchell's teachings to heart.

General George Marshall understood the importance of mercy to the defeated. He got that from his years at West Point, and we have never gone to war with a European nation since. For the longest time in our history as a nation at that.

All in all, they are a good return for our tax dollars.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Tell me, how many of those on government handouts go to war and die in the name of this country? Our national cemeteries are filled with graduates of West Point, and Annapolis.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
There is some bare bones requirements for admission to a military academy. As there are bare bones requirements for virtually all welfare programs. .

It takes effort and skill to remain in a military academy...but not to get in. And only those with the proper connections get the opportunity.
"There is some bare bones requirements for admission to a military academy'
What a bunch or crock.

What is your waste experience in getting into any of the academy's?

I am always amazed how some come on here and make these grand declarations, claiming to be experts, yet they yet, no very little about the subject.

In FACT, you don't a damn thing about the subject.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
The U.S. MILITARY IS PAID BY THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER....therefore, every American that pays taxes has a right to express their opinion of the military which is only in existance to serve the PEOPLE.

Now, put that in your cornpipe and smoke it.
People are entitled to their opinions but, NOT their facts.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Actually six years minimum, and thus they serve 10 years total. And to get into the service academies requires a nomination from their senator to apply with no guarantee of being accepted. Its very competitive.

Hardly a welfare leech.
"requires a nomination from their senator" a small correction. "their Congressman" NOT just a Senator.

"To receive an offer of appointment to the Naval Academy, an applicant must obtain a nomination from an official source. There are many nomination sources and applicants are encouraged to apply to all available sources. This normally includes a U.S. Representative, two U.S. Senators and the Vice President of the United States.

"Naval Academy graduates serve at least five years in the Navy or Marine Corps."

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/Steps...sion/index.php

Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Same premise. You give your service at the risk of losing your life. Military leadership has to be trained. Your argument here has no merit. It wasn't the parents that gave their lives, it was their children. The youth that gave their lives far exceeded the contribution their parents made. Military service is voluntary now in this country. It is not mandated anymore.
My argument does have merit.... and my belief is that a handout is a handout...period. And it is total hyprocisy for anyone to condemn and demean one person or group for taking handouts, while they receive handouts from the government themselves. Ok, fine and well, those who attend the service academies have a military commitment after completion, so your argument and the argument of others is that they, in essence are serving in exchange for their "handout". Well, in some states, those who receive "handouts (welfare)must perform community service, volunteer, or job training. What makes one any better than the other? Why is one a handout and the other isn't? Especially, when the parents of some of these academy students have six-digit incomes, with pensions exceeding some people's annual salaries. Yes, in my opinion it is a handout, because the parents can afford to pay their child's tuition, but they'd rather the government pay for it. On the other hand, is it the parents fault entirely....? No I don't think so, perhaps the entire selection and qualification process for the service academies needs fixin'. JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.