Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puB2-A0Uc9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9s6l9srzDU

New Trend In Health Insurance: Low-Cost Concierge Medicine | Here & Now

It has taken a long time to break the insurance grip on health care, but thanks to Obamacare trying to force the model and breaking it instead, medicine may transform into a true free-market system.

$50/mo for almost everything you may need, outside of catastrophic care? A doctor who spends time you with you and actually improves your life?

For a fraction of a cadillac plan deductible, it's a great deal.

Now, if we could just get the government to get out of the way and start letting insurance companies offer products that complement, not duplicate, the affordable care these people can get.

It's an idea whose time has always been here... glad to see it returning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Concierge medical coverage is moot, unless you want to pay twice for coverage. Until/unless Ocare is abolished, Americans are required to buy comprehensive health insurance by law.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
This isn't necessarily Concierge. This is general office based care at a lower price point. And many patients will find this cheaper even within a qualified plan. Depends a lot on your copays and deductibles.

That being said, this is no panacea. It might be fine for the doc, if he/she can make a decent enough living. But it cannot work for too many local docs, or they will simply have to bid themselves into the ground. The patients might save in small increments. But this type of practice does not address our major problem of large future HC costs of complicated seniors.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Concierge medical coverage is moot, unless you want to pay twice for coverage. Until/unless Ocare is abolished, Americans are required to buy comprehensive health insurance by law.
Ocare is hardly comprehensive insurance. The Bronze and Silver plans have actuarial levels of 60 and 70% The only thing that is "comprehensive" is the elimination of the lifetime cap. A bronze plan with a $50 a month concierge coverage would look something like comprehensive coverage.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puB2-A0Uc9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9s6l9srzDU

New Trend In Health Insurance: Low-Cost Concierge Medicine | Here & Now

It has taken a long time to break the insurance grip on health care, but thanks to Obamacare trying to force the model and breaking it instead, medicine may transform into a true free-market system.

$50/mo for almost everything you may need, outside of catastrophic care? A doctor who spends time you with you and actually improves your life?

Now, if we could just get the government to get out of the way and start letting insurance companies offer products that complement, not duplicate, the affordable care these people can get.

I read the article and at the end he recommends buying a catastrophic policy. Isnt that what the bronze level is? One doctor visit a year is hardly comprehensive and an actuarial level of 60% doesnt pay for much.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

That's fine for anyone under 65 and depending on the specialty, it can be very cost effective. But with the expansion of Medicaid in states like CA, it would be a tough sell for them. Now, not in FL, but forget about the over 65 crowd there.

The part about letting insurance co's. compliment that - would simply be catastrophic plans of which with covering pre-existing conditions now, no way would they go for it. Not enough
profit margin there. They need you paying a high premium now and every month, because of that.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Ocare is hardly comprehensive insurance. The Bronze and Silver plans have actuarial levels of 60 and 70% The only thing that is "comprehensive" is the elimination of the lifetime cap. A bronze plan with a $50 a month concierge coverage would look something like comprehensive coverage.
You have no idea what you are talking about and I am not interested in educating you.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
All of Obamacare is comprehensive. Even more than typical as many preventatives are no copay. Deductibles might be high for some, so in a functional sense it may be less comprehensive for those people. If that's what you mean.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
This the type of family doc we have. We pay $90 per month for a family of four. For our member price we can see the doc, call, text or e-mail with any questions, concerns, etc. If we see the doc, we pay for any supplies used. For example when my daughter got stiches we paid a few dollars for the supplies, in addition to our member fee. There are no additional charges to see the doctor, the member fee covers it all. Appointments are usually and hour long and in special circumstances the doc will even do house calls. I feel like I actually have a relationship with my doc and the quality of care is exceptional. I think that this type of care would be great coupled with a true , pre ACA catastrophic insurance policy.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This the type of family doc we have. We pay $90 per month for a family of four. For our member price we can see the doc, call, text or e-mail with any questions, concerns, etc. If we see the doc, we pay for any supplies used. For example when my daughter got stiches we paid a few dollars for the supplies, in addition to our member fee. There are no additional charges to see the doctor, the member fee covers it all. Appointments are usually and hour long and in special circumstances the doc will even do house calls. I feel like I actually have a relationship with my doc and the quality of care is exceptional. I think that this type of care would be great coupled with a true , pre ACA catastrophic insurance policy.
Uhh where do you live and what plan is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies