Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were scientifically proven that homosexuality is not a choice, would you still support gay mar
Yes 113 81.29%
No 26 18.71%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM

461 posts, read 553,414 times

Advertisements

Would those who support "marriage equality" back away from their position?

I'm speaking hypothetically. If you're going to respond with "the vast majority of scientists say people ARE born gay and sexual orientation is not a choice," no need to respond. I already know.

If you would still support gay marriage despite a scientific revelation, what are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:37 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,770,637 times
Yes, because it's mostly a freedom of religion/separation of church and state issue.
By not allowing them to get married, you are denying them freedom of religion.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Putting aside the religious hysteria, when two opposite sex people are married at city hall they commit to a partnership with each other which allows them certain rights like hospital visitation, the right to make decisions for the other partner, inheritance, tax benefits, etc. so yes, I'd support the right of similar partnerships to be entered into by consenting adults of the same sex. Hell, there are 'staright' marriages where I don't understand how such different people came to be together, isn't my or the government's business.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,716,760 times
If all gay people were born with a little rainbow on their cheek and spoke with a clearly cockney accent I would still support gay marriage though I don't know if I would clone them unless they got rid of the accent.

YMMV

Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,982,639 times
Well science would have to first prove that people aren't born straight either for that to work.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,414,612 times
Doesn't matter to me. Even if I doubt someone can be born gay, I don't think anyone has the right to be telling them who they can live with or marry, any more than we can dictate similar to straight people. And vice-versa.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:38 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,884,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Yes, because it's mostly a freedom of religion/separation of church and state issue.
By not allowing them to get married, you are denying them freedom of religion.
Instead of fighting to add same sex marriage to the list of things the .gov will allow, why not fight to get government out of marriage completely? Then anyone could marry anyone.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,040,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Instead of fighting to add same sex marriage to the list of things the .gov will allow, why not fight to get government out of marriage completely? Then anyone could marry anyone.
If we got right of the legal institution of civil marriage, which would you do first: deport all the foreign-born (former) spouses of US citizens, or throw all the military wives out of base housing?

Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM

628 posts, read 1,383,305 times
This whole topic is insane and has always been insane.~

This is like legally deciding to say, "You can't eat that doughnut, because I'm on a diet that forbids doughnuts."

It's NOT up to US to decide who some one can marry based upon miscellaneous information such as sex, no more than it was in the past about the color of their skin nor what religion they had.~

WE have NOTHING to do with many of these people's lives, are we the ones trying to get married?~ Most often NO!~ So why should WE have ANY say in these people's lives in regards to trivial matters such as this?~

Why should only "Same Sex Marriage" be subject to this ridiculous treatment?~ Why not vote whether to ban Opposite Sex Marriage to?~ Why not vote to decide on Racial Marriage?~ Why not vote to decide on Same or Different Religious Marriage?~

When will this madness end?~ o.O

Old 05-17-2014, 03:54 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,011,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Then anyone could marry anyone.
That can already happen. Anyone can be wed by a person, but the government is what confers the rights.

Which, the government will never let go of. So again, useless argument. The only way forward is equal recognition. For every combination of consenting adults.

@the topic:

Yes, I would support homosexual marriage even if it was proven a choice. Choice, born, irrelevant. Anyone should be able to be married to be anyone they want, the only qualifiers being "consenting" and "adult".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies