Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,640,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Was there any legislation attached to.these thoughts?
President Roosevelt was as entitled to his opinion as anyone but clearly no one thought his feelings critical enough to codify into law.
Ever wonder about the why's of that?
Why do you need legislation to be respectful?

You bring discrimination on yourself.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,498,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is just false, if I am bi-lingual and my first language is Spanish, I too would probably want to watch things that are in Spanish over English when I could.

Telemundo has been around in the US since 1984, that is more than a couple decades ago.
NM h began busing US anchor babies who live in Mexico to/from US schools in the 50's.
Reagan gave the green light to amnesty almost 30 years ago.
There's no serious disincentive for employers who choose to employ undocumented workers.
Heck, in Texas there are advocacy groups who make sure huge construction projects specify wages, workers comp and OT for undocumented workers.

Seems the nation wants to benefit from cheap labor then resents the consequences.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So would you suggest that Americans should relocate to other countries and refuse to ever learn anything of those countries' languages?

The problem is the generous welfare handouts that make it possible for people to come here and never learn anything of our culture. It's almost impossible to live with an American high school education -- knowledge of our history and language -- yet millions are coming with no education, no ability to learn as much as two words in English and expect to be supported by the taxpayers forever.

Even their welfare handouts have to be offered to them in their own language.
TigerLily24 comment was insolent.

When you come to a country legally or illegally you don't tell its inhabitants to leave.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NM h began busing US anchor babies who live in Mexico to/from US schools in the 50's.
Reagan gave the green light to amnesty almost 30 years ago.
There's no serious disincentive for employers who choose to employ undocumented workers.
Heck, in Texas there are advocacy groups who make sure huge construction projects specify wages, workers comp and OT for undocumented workers.

Seems the nation wants to benefit from cheap labor then resents the consequences.
Those are 2 different groups of people.

We basically have open borders. No one gets in trouble, no one gets shut down, no one goes to jail, few if any get deported.

The illegals now have rights once they set foot on US soil.
These are the poor, undereducated and unskilled.
And we're seeing more in Texas that can't even speak Spanish. They speak indigenous languages from Mexico.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,613,456 times
Mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So would you suggest that Americans should relocate to other countries and refuse to ever learn anything of those countries' languages?

The problem is the generous welfare handouts that make it possible for people to come here and never learn anything of our culture. It's almost impossible to live with an American high school education -- knowledge of our history and language -- yet millions are coming with no education, no ability to learn as much as two words in English and expect to be supported by the taxpayers forever.

Even their welfare handouts have to be offered to them in their own language.
I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. Such projection.

That being said, I do happen to know that there are communities in Mexico, Costa Rica, Spain... that are populated almost solely by English-speaking expats with little-to-no native language skills. The locals go out of their way to communicate with them in English because it's good for their economy.
Isn't that ironic?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,613,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
TigerLily24 comment was insolent.

When you come to a country legally or illegally you don't tell its inhabitants to leave.
"Insolent?" That's funny.
Despite the import you choose to apply to Roosevelt's statement, the fact remains that early 20th century denizens saw no need to declare an official U.S. language. They passed no federal legislation stating such. Newspapers continued to be published in languages other than English, classes were taught, prayers were offered.
Like it or not, this is who we are and have always been.

As for the second comment, not too familiar with American history are you?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Mm

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. Such projection.

That being said, I do happen to know that there are communities in Mexico, Costa Rica, Spain... that are populated almost solely by English-speaking expats with little-to-no native language skills. The locals go out of their way to communicate with them in English because it's good for their economy.
Isn't that ironic?
And does the country translate everything into English for them ?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,221,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How do you know that? Please be specific with what do you mean by "accomodated"
Bilingual education, voting material being printed in a language other than English, translators in business and health facilities. Obviously technology has progressed, so to bring up television seems incongruous. But if it could be compared? You get my point I'm sure. Never before has there been such a lack of interest in assimilation.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
"Insolent?" That's funny.
Despite the import you choose to apply to Roosevelt's statement, the fact remains that early 20th century denizens saw no need to declare an official U.S. language. They passed no federal legislation stating such. Newspapers continued to be published in languages other than English, classes were taught, prayers were offered.
Like it or not, this is who we are and have always been.

As for the second comment, not too familiar with American history are you?
You never answered the question.

Why do you need a law to be respectful?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Bilingual education, voting material being printed in a language other than English, translators in business and health facilities. Obviously technology has progressed, so to bring up television seems incongruous. But if it could be compared? You get my point I'm sure. Never before has there been such a lack of interest in assimilation.
They should at least put English subtitles so the rest of us can follow along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies