Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've never understood why some people get so bent out of shape when a private advertiser or company does something in Spanish or another language. It's their money and their airtime or print. They could buy two minutes of dead silence or a blank page if they wanted.

I can almost understand the English only people when it comes to government services and such (almost). But individuals and private companies have a right to speak or do business in any language they wish. Just like anything else on TV or the radio, if you don't like the programming, turn it off.
The private companies are clearly exercising their right to free speech. At the same time, others are exercising theirs by speaking out against the companies. If their advertising tactics discourage more people than they attract, it will cause them to modify their behavior. Everything is working as it should.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ok, the private sector can do what it wants but the reason for all the Spanish advertising is to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers and Spanish speakers in general that want to feel all warm and fuzzy being catered to in Spanish even when they know English. ...
I don't think it has much to do with feeling warm and fuzzy. Spanish speakers communicate in Spanish (many, many of them also speak English). When a significant portion of a population speaks Language X, advertisers will advertise in Language X because it is effective for them to do so--their bottom line is profit and if that's going to maximize their profit, that's what they will do. That's pretty much their only motivation if they are a private business.

As for the warm and fuzzy thing, I speak English natively, Spanish, and a little bit of French and Norwegian. Now because I'm an English speaker, I don't feel warm and fuzzy when I hear an English commercial on the radio. However, I WOULD feel warm and fuzzy if I heard an advertisement in Norwegian or French because it challenges me to learn new things.

This is one of those issues that I'm generally at odds with folks I'd normally agree with and closer in opinion to those I RARELY share opinions with. That's what happens when I (and it works for others as well!) think for myself and form my own independent opinion, rather than the herd's party line.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The private companies are clearly exercising their right to free speech. At the same time, others are exercising theirs by speaking out against the companies. If their advertising tactics discourage more people than they attract, it will cause them to modify their behavior. Everything is working as it should.
Yes, that's certainly the case, as it should be. It's the same thing with, say, McDonalds and vegetarians. McDonalds has a right to make big macs and the vegetarian has a right to express his/her dissatisfaction with it. McDonalds will make its own choice as whether to consider the complaint or not, based on how it affects their profits and image.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:17 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I don't think it has much to do with feeling warm and fuzzy. Spanish speakers communicate in Spanish (many, many of them also speak English). When a significant portion of a population speaks Language X, advertisers will advertise in Language X because it is effective for them to do so--their bottom line is profit and if that's going to maximize their profit, that's what they will do. That's pretty much their only motivation if they are a private business.

As for the warm and fuzzy thing, I speak English natively, Spanish, and a little bit of French and Norwegian. Now because I'm an English speaker, I don't feel warm and fuzzy when I hear an English commercial on the radio. However, I WOULD feel warm and fuzzy if I heard an advertisement in Norwegian or French because it challenges me to learn new things.

This is one of those issues that I'm generally at odds with folks I'd normally agree with and closer in opinion to those I RARELY share opinions with. That's what happens when I (and it works for others as well!) think for myself and form my own independent opinion, rather than the herd's party line.
But most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so they know English. I stand by what I said, these businesses are pandering to the millions of illegal aliens here that are mostly Spanish speakers and those who do speak English but want to feel all warm and fuzzy inside by being pandered to in Spanish their language of preference. We didn't see this happening a couple of decades ago. Gee, I wonder why?

What is really bothersome is that the above is creating discrimination in hiring practices for native English speakers.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Yes, that's certainly the case, as it should be. It's the same thing with, say, McDonalds and vegetarians. McDonalds has a right to make big macs and the vegetarian has a right to express his/her dissatisfaction with it. McDonalds will make its own choice as whether to consider the complaint or not, based on how it affects their profits and image.
Absolutely!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Spanish commercials are slowly making their way from the Spanish speaking channels into mainstream channels.
Hispanics are growing in numbers. They are the next big consumer base.
What better way to work your way into their hearts to earn brand loyalty then to speak in their language ?

Some are even doing half English/half Spanish (Tide commercial).

Hispanics are slated to become the majority in the US and you are surprised that Spanish is working its way into mainstream TV ?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
But most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so they know English. I stand by what I said, these businesses are pandering to the millions of illegal aliens here that are mostly Spanish speakers and those who do speak English but want to feel all warm and fuzzy inside by being pandered to in Spanish their language of preference. We didn't see this happening a couple of decades ago. Gee, I wonder why?

What is really bothersome is that the above is creating discrimination in hiring practices for native English speakers.
Oh, I don't know... I grew up in the Bay Area of California (thank God I'm not there any more!) and I remember lots of Spanish everywhere as a kid (this was in the late 60s and early 70s). Moved to Utah in the 70s and... same thing, lots of Spanish because we were in an area with significant orchards and farmland (migrant Spanish-speaking workers). So there was lots of Spanish advertising there as well. That's because there was a significant Spanish-speaking base. That's just the way it is. Language is communication. It's no different than advertisers using certain colors or visual effects or sounds or slang or whatever else in order to reach a certain segment of their potential customer base.

As for most Spanish speakers here knowing English, yeah, that's true. I know Spanish, too, but I don't generally use it in my day-to-day activities. I'm just more comfortable with English. The same applies to the typical Spanish speaker in reverse. Advertisers know this. It's another tactic they use to become more endearing to the Spanish speaking potential customer. If Company A speaks Spanish in an add and Company B (selling the same thing) does not, who do you think the potential customer (who speaks Spanish) would be more inclined to listen to and do business with? Money. All about money. They'd have a dog barking in dogese if they thought it would sell. Remember that FREE market thing?

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-18-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:

That is just false, if I am bi-lingual and my first language is Spanish, I too would probably want to watch things that are in Spanish over English when I could.

Telemundo has been around in the US since 1984, that is more than a couple decades ago.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Ok, the private sector can do what it wants but the reason for all the Spanish advertising is to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers and Spanish speakers in general that want to feel all warm and fuzzy being catered to in Spanish even when they know English. It spills over into hiring practices. It has gotten to the point where a native English speaker has to be bi-lingual (Spanish) in order to get a job. That's where I would draw the line because English is our de facto national language. Our governments should stop printing all kinds of documents in other languages. It is an added cost to the taxpayer. English is our de facto national language. Nearly half of our states has made English their official language. Time for people to sink or swim. Learn English or get yourself an interpreter at your own expense.
Time for you nativists to sink or swim. Change with the times, or go the way of the dodo birds.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know... I grew up in the Bay Area of California (thank God I'm not there any more!) and I remember lots of Spanish everywhere as a kid (this was in the late 60s and early 70s). Moved to Utah in the 70s and... same thing, lots of Spanish because we were in an area with significant orchards and farmland (migrant Spanish-speaking workers). So there was lots of Spanish advertising there as well. That's because there was a significant Spanish-speaking base. That's just the way it is. Language is communication. It's no different than advertisers using certain colors or visual effects or sounds or slang or whatever else in order to reach a certain segment of their potential customer base.

As for most Spanish speakers here knowing English, yeah, that's true. I know Spanish, too, but I don't generally use it in my day-to-day activities. I'm just more comfortable with English. The same applies to the typical Spanish speaker in reverse.
I grew up in So. Calif. and I don't remember anything like that. Just cause someone feels more "comfortable" in their native language or is here illegally is no reason to pander to them and it certainly is no reason to discriminate against native English speakers in hiring practices. Like it or not, English is our national de facto language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies