Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,357,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There's a big double standard here. I hate that. Many of you feel that you shouldn't have to be forced to do things against your will. You should be free to handle your life as you see fit... unless we are talking about language. Then things are different.

As for the growing numbers of Hispanics, yes there is illegal immigration, but I'd say it has more to do with average family size of the two demographics--it's two not all that different cultures with two quite different typical family sizes.

Some of you complain about clashing cultures--you don't understand that the Latin American culture and North American culture, while different, is not all that dissimilar as are two cultures when comparing North American and Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern. In the Americas, we're all European based in culture, both north and south of the border (excluding the native influences). Personally, I think the bond between Latin America and North America should be strengthened, not weakened.

Also, it never hurt anyone to learn another language. It's quite interesting, fun, and rewarding. And, yes, that goes both ways. But I think over time, the US will become more and more a bilingual nation as many, many other countries are. Too bad there isn't a larger French component as well. Lovely language.

As you can tell, I'm NOT an English Only soldier. I believe in liberty for all, not liberty-on-my-terms.
"Bilingual Immersion" is making it's way in education research circles.
Put all students in a classroom and teach in both languages (Spanish/English).

California is doing it primarily in K-8 with a few high schools joining in.

The problems they face though are finding teachers qualified in both languages and in content areas.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,381,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nativists? I knew it wouldn't take long for the liberals/ethnocentrics to demand that we change for foreigners. It should be foreigners that should either sink or swim here not citizens.

What is really ridiculous is demanding we change because of illegal immigration which is neither natural nor lawful.
LOL... Nobody is DEMANDING you do anything. DON'T change. Nobody misses the dodos, either.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,284,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The illegals have their own channels -- and they would be outraged if English commercials were to start showing up on the Spanish stations.
Malamute has obviously never watched a Spanish-language channel. One of the most common commercials -for decades- has been for a product that teaches Spanish speakers how to speak English. It is one of the most promoted products, probably 2-1 over McDonalds on Spanish-language TV.

Spanish speakers in America do not have the knee-jerk fear over the English language the way the Spanish language stikes fear into Malamute who even goes as far as describing people who speak Spanish as 'illegal'.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,381,256 times
Quote:
Nativists? I knew it wouldn't take long for the liberals/ethnocentrics to demand that we change for foreigners. It should be foreigners that should either sink or swim here not citizens.

What is really ridiculous is demanding we change because of illegal immigration which is neither natural nor lawful.
And, BTW, if you're gonna use a big word like "ethnocentrics", you ought to know what it means. There IS an ethnocentrist posting in this thread... and it ain't a "liberal".

Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,884,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Spanish commercials are slowly making their way from the Spanish speaking channels into mainstream channels.
Hispanics are growing in numbers. They are the next big consumer base.
What better way to work your way into their hearts to earn brand loyalty then to speak in their language ?

Some are even doing half English/half Spanish (Tide commercial).

Hispanics are slated to become the majority in the US and you are surprised that Spanish is working its way into mainstream TV ?
Exactly. Government using Spanish outside of emergency communications is one thing, I can understand the concern. But, what should it be a concern to anybody what language a private company uses in their marketing, products, and/or stores? These private companies tried advertising and labeling in Spanish to see if it would grow their customer base. Guess what? It worked, so it's no wonder more companies are doing it. Plus, it's not just pandering to illegals, there are millions of Hispanics born and raised in the US who only speak broken Spanish, who would feel more welcome in shopping somewhere that they perceive to be "Hispanic friendly".

Quote:
I grew up in So. Calif. and I don't remember anything like that. Just cause someone feels more "comfortable" in their native language or is here illegally is no reason to pander to them and it certainly is no reason to discriminate against native English speakers in hiring practices. Like it or not, English is our national de facto language.
Monolingual English speakers are not a protected class. End of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How is having television stations and commercials in other languages somehow discriminating to you and your English speaking ways? 99% of tv is in English, pick one of those pandering channels that only speak in English if it bothers you so much and stop watching Telemundo.
I have Univisión on my TV, but I never watch it. That channel isn't interfering with my daily life. The rare times that I did watch it, I noticed that there are a lot of commercials about learning to speak English. The Nativists wouldn't know that, because they don't speak Spanish and deliberately avoid such channels. Not only that, but not only we have Spanish channels, we also have Chinese, Korean, and Japanese channels as well. But, they make stuff we want (Haier, Samsung, Sony), so they are allowed to have their own channels.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM

62,768 posts, read 28,987,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, you certainly do. That's the way it is supposed to work here.

No, I didn't miss it. But I just don't see it as being discrimination against English speakers to hear someone speaking another language. Or seeing an advertisement in another language. That's silly. You're starting to sound like some of these folks who are offended by just about everything.
Ok, again you missed my point which was about native English speakers being discriminated in hiring practices if they don't also speak Spanish. It is legal Spanish speakers that refuse to assimilate to English or they are illegal aliens that is creating this problem. Advertising is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM

62,768 posts, read 28,987,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Bilingual Immersion" is making it's way in education research circles.
Put all students in a classroom and teach in both languages (Spanish/English).

California is doing it primarily in K-8 with a few high schools joining in.

The problems they face though are finding teachers qualified in both languages and in content areas.
Why do you think that native English speakers should have to learn Spanish? We are constantly being told that Hispanics are assimilating and in fact most Hispanic-Americans do know English. We have our common dominant language of English to communicate with them in. I don't think that learning a foreign language should be forced on native English speakers. It should be elective, period!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,115,861 times
Quote:
Ok, again you missed my point which was about native English speakers being discriminated in hiring practices if they don't also speak Spanish. It is legal Spanish speakers that refuse to assimilate to English or they are illegal aliens that is creating this problem. Advertising is just the tip of the iceberg.
Advertising has nothing to do with that, it is just companies trying to market themselves with the biggest net possible.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:11 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,788,325 times
Default Tabula rasa

Quote:
Ok, the private sector can do what it wants but the reason for all the Spanish advertising is to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers and Spanish speakers in general that want to feel all warm and fuzzy being catered to in Spanish even when they know English. It spills over into hiring practices. It has gotten to the point where a native English speaker has to be bi-lingual (Spanish) in order to get a job. That's where I would draw the line because English is our de facto national language. Our governments should stop printing all kinds of documents in other languages. It is an added cost to the taxpayer. English is our de facto national language. Nearly half of our states has made English their official language. Time for people to sink or swim. Learn English or get yourself an interpreter at your own expense.

No, the businesses want to make sales. Some of them are owned by Spanish speakers, some not. If they're selling child-related products (diapers, baby food, baby bottles, clothing, etc.) - they don't have much choice. Most of the children being born in the US, as I recall, are to Hispanic families. The larger families with multiple children are also Hispanic. So it's just a fact of life, nothing personal. They need to make sales - and if the market keeps going up in age, then - if the marketing in Spanish works - they'll continue to pitch products in Spanish.

Thus McDonalds, the big box stores, groceries, cars, banking and finance, all the consumer-based goods and services.

De facto? Isn't that Latin? How is it OK for you to quote Latin, but it's not OK ("pander"!) for Spanish speakers to speak Spanish? TMK, Spanish was the first European language in the New World (discounting Viking, which didn't manage to plant long-term colonies that lasted into the present here). Portuguese runs second, then French, Dutch, Italian (?), English, Swedish, German, etc. Yep, English was very late to the table.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,589,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Advertising has nothing to do with that, it is just companies trying to market themselves with the biggest net possible.
If the shows are in English --- what makes them think the illegals are tuning in just to get the commercials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.