Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
When I was told it was dangerous for me to even BE in Little Havana I did not get up set.

I just visited with my family as they wished and went home.

I would not ever want to push my way in where it was plain I was not wanted.
I go to Little Havana all the time.

That has nothing to do with my point. If you wanted to live in Little Havana, you could, I'm sure. So could I. But neither of us want to.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
My experience is there is much more differences between blue collar and white collar workers than there are between blacks and whites.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?
alot of those things arent seperate, they tie in together.

If you live in a black neighborhood, then you likely go to church in that community meaning with other black people, meaning those are also the people you invite to dinner.

but yes, some people do feel more comfortable with people of their own race. Its not always a racial thing, in fact most of the time it is cultural. Same reasons why a 20 year old doesnt hang out with people in their 50's.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The comma comment was a response to the poster's misinterpretation of my statement. Read it and figure out why I said what I said.

How did I present myself? I presented myself as an educated, mature professional with a family. Oh.....and I'm black. I guess that's a negative, huh?
No why would it be?
But you may not have been the only black person they have dealt with and some in the past may have caused a bad impression.
My fellow servicemen (all races included) have a percentage who feel the need to make the stereotype fact rather than fiction.
Can you honestly say that all black people are role models?
I am open minded having lived and worked 24/7 for months at a time with all races. I get that a few bad apples don't = the whole bunch. Tell that to someone who has had to deal with the bad apples multiple times. They would rather avoid the repeat even if it means turning away a good person.
I have been denied an apartment because I was a single enlisted man. I knew why, because enough others before me soured the deal.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:22 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
There's a lot of self-segregation, not just by race.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No why would it be?
I don't know, sir.

Quote:
But you may not have been the only black person they have dealt with and some in the past may have caused a bad impression.
I don't consider all whites to be like the racists I've encountered. Why should I not be judged as an individual? Why would you or anyone else connect me to people I have nothing to do with?

Quote:
My fellow servicemen (all races included) have a percentage who feel the need to make the stereotype fact rather than fiction.
Can you honestly say that all black people are role models?
Why should we have to be? Can you say that all whites, or humans, for that matter, are role models? I think you're asking the wrong questions.

Quote:
I am open minded having lived and worked 24/7 for months at a time with all races. I get that a few bad apples don't = the whole bunch. Tell that to someone who has had to deal with the bad apples multiple times. They would rather avoid the repeat even if it means turning away a good person.
I have been denied an apartment because I was a single enlisted man. I knew why, because enough others before me soured the deal.
I am neither single nor enlisted.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM

195 posts, read 177,807 times
I don't know how this is implemented, but I've noticed segregation in the way businesses group employees during shift work.

I've seen it at fast food joints, restaurants (grouping customers together as well), hospitals, etc. I guess they figure people will be more comfortable and productive if they work with others of the same ethnicity. They wouldn't bother if it didn't serve a useful purpose.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't know, sir.

I don't consider all whites to be like the racists I've encountered. Why should I not be judged as an individual? Why would you or anyone else connect me to people I have nothing to do with?

Why should we have to be? Can you say that all whites, or humans, for that matter, are role models? I think you're asking the wrong questions.

I am neither single nor enlisted.
Because people by nature tend to use past experiences to form their opinions. It isn't always fair or just but that is the reality.
I went to a Vietnamese restaurant with my Thai wife a few years ago. It was down in Phil. A small place I could tell that catered to the local Vietnamese community. How because at lunch hour their wasn't another white person in the place.
I could tell that they didn't like the idea of a white and an Asian together. Yeah you get that sometimes.
We waited and waited and finally a waitress took our order. People who came in long after we did were taken care of first. Our food came out cold and isn't very good. In fact I only ate a few bites.
Now I could swear off ever going to another Vietnamese restaurant from that experience. Some people would. I just won't go to that one again.
Are all whites role models? Never made such a claim or hinted that such was true.
Never hinted that you are a single enlisted person either.
You missed the point. People react based on past experience often in error.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
In high school there was always one or two blacks guys who only socialized with whites and always one or two whites who only socialized with blacks. They hung out with kids from their neighborhood. It was the same in college one black guy who hung out at the white fraternity house and a few white football players who always hung out with blacks. Anyone who went to ethnically diverse schools are familiar with these individuals. These individuals are socializing with "their own kind."

Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Because people by nature tend to use past experiences to form their opinions. It isn't always fair or just but that is the reality.
I went to a Vietnamese restaurant with my Thai wife a few years ago. It was down in Phil. A small place I could tell that catered to the local Vietnamese community. How because at lunch hour their wasn't another white person in the place.
I could tell that they didn't like the idea of a white and an Asian together. Yeah you get that sometimes.
We waited and waited and finally a waitress took our order. People who came in long after we did were taken care of first. Our food came out cold and isn't very good. In fact I only ate a few bites.
Now I could swear off ever going to another Vietnamese restaurant from that experience. Some people would. I just won't go to that one again.
Are all whites role models? Never made such a claim or hinted that such was true.
Never hinted that you are a single enlisted person either.
You missed the point. People react based on past experience often in error.
No, I got your point. I just don't agree with it. You and Driller are citing isolated incidents where some idiots didn't like you and comparing that to systematic discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies