Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 07:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, since race is a social construct I guess racial segregation is one too.
I'd agree with that.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My x-husband is from Honduras......highly educated.....masters in physics....said Mexicans spoke a very low form of Spanish and did not identify with them at all.

His best friend Albert is a black man also from Honduras that agreed.....he was educated in Japan and identified more with the Japanese.

Our wedding was colorful.
I can tell you, though, that the Japanese most emphatically didn't identify with Albert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I found it very interesting that my Cuban friend (political asylum refugee) is extremely disdainful of Mexican-Americans.
I'll never justify disdain of anyone, but I will say that despite the shared Spanish colonial background, there aren't a lot of similarities between Mexican and Cuban cultures.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word is many Dominicans are the same: even those who'd def be "Black" in the US DON'T see it as "marrying out" by marrying anglo white dudes and having babies with them. OTOH: marrying out for those ladies would be doing the same thing with American Blacks.
Marrying Americans of any kind would be "marrying out," but a Dominican woman would be much more encouraged to marry out with a white American than a black one.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It is slowly desolving, Thank God, one dead generation at a time.
And why is that a good thing?

“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
Thomas Sowell

Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
Thomas Sowell
Does Sowell think Jim Crow would be better?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
I agree. But there's an increasing aspect of socioeconomic-level segregation. Blue states have the widest income gaps and therefore the most segregated schools. Somehow, Democrats seem to be okay with that.
Socioeconomic segregation is totally normal regardless of race. There's no "increasing aspect."

And all this blue state/red state stuff is ridiculous. Who cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My x-husband is from Honduras......highly educated.....masters in physics....said Mexicans spoke a very low form of Spanish and did not identify with them at all.

His best friend Albert is a black man also from Honduras that agreed.....he was educated in Japan and identified more with the Japanese.

Our wedding was colorful.
Why are you so giddy about one Hispanic group putting down another? That's internecine foolishness on their part.

Hondurans have no standing to say anything derogatory about Mexico or Mexicans. Honduras only escapes being a third world country by the skin of their teeth. It's a whole lot worse off than Mexico is by a long shot.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that Honduras IS a third world country.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Socioeconomic segregation is totally normal regardless of race. There's no "increasing aspect."

And all this blue state/red state stuff is ridiculous. Who cares.

Why are you so giddy about one Hispanic group putting down another? That's internecine foolishness on their part.

Hondurans have no standing to say anything derogatory about Mexico or Mexicans. Honduras only escapes being a third world country by the skin of their teeth. It's a whole lot worse off than Mexico is by a long shot.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that Honduras IS a third world country.
And I will agree.

I own land just south of Tela.

I pay money to the local gang......and the local police.....it is just the way business is done there.

In 2009 (I think) Obama thought he made some changes in government there.....IMO....things got worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...icity-honduras

Edited to ad a link.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In fact, there is. The income gap is widening. It's already widest in blue states, and increasing, and it disproportionately affects minoroties.

Quote:
Why are you so giddy about one Hispanic group putting down another?
I'm not. The point of my comment, and that of others who posted similar observations is that people of all races/ethnicities discriminate against others.
Quote:
That's internecine foolishness on their part
Like Blacks calling members of their own race "Uncle Toms?" We see that frequently here on city-data.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Thomas Sowell
Does Sowell plan on bleaching himself?

You guys really get off on quoting Thomas Sowell as if he's Moses coming down the mountain with holy tablets

He's just one man....Don't know why he's constantly quoted in these appeal to authority fallacies.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
In fact, there is. The income gap is widening. It's already widest in blue states, and increasing, and it disproportionately affects minoroties.

I'm not. The point of my comment, and that of others who posted similar observations is that people of all races/ethnicities discriminate against others.
Like Blacks calling members of their own race "Uncle Toms?" We see that frequently here on city-data.
Again with the blue state nonsense? Who gives a damn!

And you're concerned with the "income gap" and its effect on minorities all of a sudden? Really?

Stop it.

Uncle Tom? Yep. If they stop Tomming, they won't get called Toms. Simple.

That's in no way comparable to a Honduran, that comes from one of this hemisphere's most backwards country denigrating folks from a nation that's light years ahead of their own.

But I get it. You like it because if they talk that way, it makes the stuff you say seem normal. That way you can say "everyone does it." Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies