Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 AM

88,995 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes it is not a sufficient issue for most middle class and rich voters.
Those aren't the voters handing Democrats political victories. Look again at the voting percentages by income:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...0vs%20Vote.png

The under-educated are voting against their own best interest.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Those aren't the voters handing Democrats political victories. Look again at the voting percentages by income:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...0vs%20Vote.png

The under-educated are voting against their own best interest.

Here's the relevant comparison I'd love to see, by income:

Single parents with custody of minor children vs everyone else.

What if the low-income "Dem gap" were fully attributable to single parents?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Here's the relevant comparison I'd love to see, by income:

Single parents with custody of minor children vs everyone else.

What if the low-income "Dem gap" were fully attributable to single parents?
If so, why would they vote against the best interest of their own children? The Michelle Rhee excerpt I posted is exactly about a single Mom who worked 2 jobs to pay tuition to a private school to get her daughter out of the public school system. Why should that even be necessary? Why couldn't that child attend the better private school right across the street from her apartment home? Why do kids have to be trapped in horrible public schools?

In a word... Democrats. Democrats and their pernicious vehement opposition to school vouchers. All to protect the teachers union, their political donations, and their votes.

Those of you who vote Democrat lie to yourselves about your votes to educationally and therefore socioeconomically disproportionately oppress minorities. Think about all those kids next time you cast a ballot. Know full-well that votes for Democrats are votes for keeping them dumb, poor, and socioeconomically segregated. Make sure that's what you really want.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
I have a unique perspective on this being biracial and growing up in the urban Bay Area. In much of Northern California, complete self-segregation is rare in countless neighborhoods from the big cities to the suburbs. I'm from San Francisco. While SF, as a whole, is definitely segregated, the lower middle class to poorer neighborhoods in the southern fringes of the city have always been fairly integrated. I grew up in an area called Oceanview which was a mixed area that consisted of mainly blacks but also had a significant population of Asians, Latinos with a handful of whites sprinkled in. In Bay Area cities like Oakland, the integration is even more widespread and pronounced depending on the neighborhood. The 20's in Oakland is known to be a melting pot of blacks, Latinos and Asians where no minority group truly holds majority status. Vallejo and Sacramento have very mixed areas as well where people of all races get along very well.

I currently live in a small town in suburban Maryland called Columbia. Columbia was a planned community designed for people of all races, incomes and backgrounds to live together peacefully. Columbia does live up to these ideals better than most places. Demographically, Columbia is an oddity in Maryland with about 50% of the population being white, 20% of the population being black, about 10% of the population being Asian and the rest being split between Hispanics and people of two or more races.

Columbia's Ideals in Question Decades After Town's Birth | The New Voters

The only other truly integrated towns in Maryland are certain places in Montgomery County like Silver Spring. Maryland, as a whole, can be very, very segregated. The DC Area is a prime example where the contiguous areas of Northeast & Southeast DC and bordering Prince George's County are 80-95%+ black in demographics, whereas a most of Northwest DC and bordering Montgomery County in towns like Bethesda, Chevy Chase and Potomac are 80-90%+ white in demographics. Baltimore has some pockets of white-black integration in South Baltimore (i.e. Pigtown) and immediately bordering Baltimore County in places like Lansdowne and Brooklyn.

As a mixed race person, I can never truly self-segregate completely. When you are mixed, more often than not, you grow up being a perpetual minority. For example, Barack Obama was often the only black person around in his family, school and neighborhood when he was growing up in Hawaii. Similarly, Toronto-based Rap superstar, Drake, was often the only half-black kid around growing up in wealthy Forest Hill. It is a common experience when you are of mixed race. One of my friends is half-black/half-white but looks fully white with white skin and naturally straight light brown hair and he grew up on the black side of Northwest DC in the 80's and 90's when there were no white people living there.

When you are part-white, white people will never claim you because of the one-drop rule. When you are racially ambiguous, people will treat you as a perpetual outsider no matter what homogenous group you try to blend in with unless you lie about your background and say that you aren't biracial. Black people often claim multiracial black people who don't look black, but if you have no black ancestry at all, you are out of luck. Many Asians do not claim mixed race Asians because many Asian countries have a very strong and homogenous racial composition. It is similar with Latino people from Latino countries with a more or less homogenous racial composition (i.e. mestizos in Central America).

It gets even more complicated because many ignorant Americans refuse to recognize that it is possible to belong to more than one race. A big reason multiracial people are insisted on being categorized monoracially is to be stereotyped by ignorant people with limited experiences in our very polarized society. My experiences as a racially mixed person prove this because different people view my background differently. Ultimately, I gravitate towards people of all backgrounds who accept me for me, which is very, very hard to find in our polarizing, extremist, us vs. them, ignorant race-obsessed society.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 05-24-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
If so, why would they vote against the best interest of their own children? The Michelle Rhee excerpt I posted is exactly about a single Mom who worked 2 jobs to pay tuition to a private school to get her daughter out of the public school system. Why should that even be necessary? Why couldn't that child attend the better private school right across the street from her apartment home? Why do kids have to be trapped in horrible public schools?

In a word... Democrats. Democrats and their pernicious vehement opposition to school vouchers. All to protect the teachers union, their political donations, and their votes.

Those of you who vote Democrat lie to yourselves about your votes to educationally and therefore socioeconomically disproportionately oppress minorities. Think about all those kids next time you cast a ballot. Know full-well that votes for Democrats are votes for keeping them dumb, poor, and socioeconomically segregated. Make sure that's what you really want.

??? Single women raising children usually face the more immediate issue of how the heck they're going to afford to raise their children. So things like EITC and regressive taxes are important to them. I don't know why vouchers aren't as important to them.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
??? Single women raising children usually face the more immediate issue of how the heck they're going to afford to raise their children.
I doubt that. They get food stamps to feed their children and STILL don't do so. Hence, the free breakfast, lunch, and now dinners provided at schools, even in the summer and over school breaks.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I doubt that. They get food stamps to feed their children and STILL don't do so. Hence, the free breakfast, lunch, and now dinners provided at schools, even in the summer and over school breaks.

I could be wrong, but what you describe sounds like the underclass, which has never been known to be a group of avid voters.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting perspective. Back in earlier times, it was common for Highland groups and Lowland groups in Scotland to fight one another. Look at the Balkans region in the 90s. People who basically look alike fought each other. Rwanda, same thing. Koreans and Japanese have been at odds with each other for years. I remember meeting a woman who is basically American born to Haitian immigrant parents. She is Black. Her mother told her when it came to dating "No African-Americans". It was the same deal with an African woman I met. Her parents were against her dating African-Americans.
This is true about people of the same race being at odds. However, it is a bit comical when people willingly immigrate to another country filled with people they have a problem with. Hatians could just stay in Haiti if they have a problem with African Americans. Its not as if African Americans are trying to float to Haiti. Africans willingly get on airplaines to come to the U.S. A place filled with African Americans. Last time I checked, plane tickets are quite expensive. Why spend money to come to a place filled with people you have a problem with? Doesn't make any sense. The "No African Americans" dating policy is funny. I know many Black people from the Caribbean and African countries involved with or married to African Americans. I don't think they listened to the memo. lol. At the end of the day cultural barriers can become bridges.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
This is true about people of the same race being at odds. However, it is a bit comical when people willingly immigrate to another country filled with people they have a problem with. Hatians could just stay in Haiti if they have a problem with African Americans. Its not as if African Americans are trying to float to Haiti. Africans willingly get on airplaines to come to the U.S. A place filled with African Americans. Last time I checked, plane tickets are quite expensive. Why spend money to come to a place filled with people you have a problem with? Doesn't make any sense. The "No African Americans" dating policy is funny. I know many Black people from the Caribbean and African countries involved with or married to African Americans. I don't think they listened to the memo. lol. At the end of the day cultural barriers can become bridges.
We're not here for African-Americans but opportunity, besides Black leaders seem hell bent on supporting immigration, take it up with them

Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but what you describe sounds like the underclass, which has never been known to be a group of avid voters.
25% of U.S. households earn $25,000 or less. Their voter turnout is only a little less than average.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...nout_graph.png

Certainly enough to heavily influence the election, particularly since 2/3 of that income group vote Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies