Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't know if I agree with this. I don't know where the OP lives, but in my area there is not a racial segregation in general. It's true that some races are segregated more than others, but it's not a rule. It seems like black people have the most segregation from other groups - I'm not sure why that is. Other groups here are very mixed - south east Asians, east Asians, whites, Latinos, Jews and many other groups all live in the same communities. Heck, I was a minority in my last community and most people would consider me "white".
It's because historically, whites, by legal and then economic means, have made conscious efforts to make sure that blacks did not live in their neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
I don't see any proof that it IS dissolving. Schools in the 1950s were actually less racially segregated before the push for diversity. Go to your lunch room in your average American HS, or better yet, go to a dining hall at an ivy league university and see the obvious racial self-segregation that takes place.
Can you show statistical and anecdotal proof that schools were less segregated in the 1950s? If one is going to make a statement as such, it is important to back it up.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I had the same experience when I was working. Different ethnic groups would eat together and they didn't integrate. It has to do with a shared culture and similar interests. For example, why would non-Spanish speakers want to eat lunch with those who wanted the conversation in Spanish or as you said if you don't share common interests? It is what it is and it's only human nature. Some people like to refer to it as racism though when clearly it isn't.

Not my experience in 30 years of working. The only segregation I have seen is the salesmen do not associate with the production and distribution personel

Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That is economic segregation. When housing values rose (long-term), ex: my house as a child is worth 24x what my dad bought it for, the spread b/w neighborhood values widened. Hence, we get tons of economic segregation.
This. We seem to be beating racial segregation like a dead horse, but no one wants to talk about economic segregation.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This. We seem to be beating racial segregation like a dead horse, but no one wants to talk about economic segregation.
Economic segregation is a non issue, it is based off of career choices, and life choices, you want to be wealthy and successful, dont knock up a women in high school, sell drugs (illegally) and dont do dumb things with dumb people for dumb reasons..

Old 05-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Economic segregation is a non issue, it is based off of career choices, and life choices, you want to be wealthy and successful, dont knock up a women in high school, sell drugs (illegally) and dont do dumb things with dumb people for dumb reasons..
Absolute bullcrap. Race trumps "career" and "life" choices. Some neighborhoods are closed off to black people no matter how affluent or law-abiding they are. This has everything to do with economic racism.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?
It definitely happens, and I wish that it happened less. I guess I felt it most in high school because I went to a predominantly white private school with few black students, and I felt like there was somewhat of a black clique (although there were some white people in it too. lol). It was just awkward for me because I didn't want to be a part of it because I didn't feel like I needed to hang around people just because they were black like me. But people have the right to associate with who they want. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's unhealthy, but it is limiting.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Absolute bullcrap. Race trumps "career" and "life" choices. Some neighborhoods are closed off to black people no matter how affluent or law-abiding they are. This has everything to do with economic racism.
...Proof?

Jay-Z and Diddy have homes in the East Hampton, West Hampton, Laguna, ect...You are full of it..

Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucario View Post
some neighborhoods are closed off to black people no matter how affluent........<cut>
bs

Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
...Proof?

Jay-Z and Diddy have homes in the East Hampton, West Hampton, Laguna, ect...You are full of it..
I have many personal experiences. You have white supremacist web sites, Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies