Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The groups they regularly demonize.
So you have no answer and just follow your talking points as I stated your opinions display an ignorance of conservatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you have no answer and just follow your talking points as I stated your opinions display an ignorance of conservatives
I gave an answer. There are no talking points, just reality.

My opinions about conservatives are dead on. Which is why you have not disputed anything.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
I gave an answer. There are no talking points, just reality.

My opinions about conservatives are dead on. Which is why you have not disputed anything.
You answered with talking points with no answer to what I asked

Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Why is $15 the magic number? Why not $25 ? Why not $30?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 PM

155 posts, read 89,608 times
Quote:
conservatism seeks to exclude groups of people from participating in representative government. conservatism seeks to demonize those people's political and social interests as destructive to the nation. conservatism seeks to label those excluded groups as defective in some way and deserving of their fate.

Again this is all done to protect the traditional power structure of a nation.
Delusion at its most Deluded>

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 PM

111 posts, read 91,590 times
am about to sound like a mix between a commie and an anarcho capitalist here but:

There is a minimum amount that a business must pay someone strictly from a business standpoint. This is the cost of their employees' ability to live near work, commute to work, have enough food so they do not pass out at work, etc... $7.50 /hr is not this number.

If you want the math, here goes: if you work 40 hrs/week at $7.50 per hour, and are able to find a place that costs $500/ month to rent, pay $40/week for gasoline, pay $50/month for utilities, spend $50/month on insuring your car and have no other debts/obligations, you are left with $47.5 per week to spend on anything else or save/invest. Someone living on this budget could easily be bankrupt by a single car accident or injury.

Who pays the difference here? We the taxpayers do. Various levels of government spend thousands of $ per year for each walmart employee. IMAO, this is an indirect subsidy to cheapskate employers that wish to deny their actual cost of doing business. Moreover, the government further ''subsidizes'' cheapskate employers via its tolerance of illegal aliens willing to live under ''slightly above third world'' conditions.

And for the record, I'm a well-paid engineer in the biopharma industry that votes Libertarian and agrees with the woman in the video.... just think she may have put the issue the wrong way.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 AM

155 posts, read 89,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
am about to sound like a mix between a commie and an anarcho capitalist here but:

There is a minimum amount that a business must pay someone strictly from a business standpoint. This is the cost of their employees' ability to live near work, commute to work, have enough food so they do not pass out at work, etc... $7.50 /hr is not this number.

If you want the math, here goes: if you work 40 hrs/week at $7.50 per hour, and are able to find a place that costs $500/ month to rent, pay $40/week for gasoline, pay $50/month for utilities, spend $50/month on insuring your car and have no other debts/obligations, you are left with $47.5 per week to spend on anything else or save/invest. Someone living on this budget could easily be bankrupt by a single car accident or injury.

Who pays the difference here? We the taxpayers do. Various levels of government spend thousands of $ per year for each walmart employee. IMAO, this is an indirect subsidy to cheapskate employers that wish to deny their actual cost of doing business. Moreover, the government further ''subsidizes'' cheapskate employers via its tolerance of illegal aliens willing to live under ''slightly above third world'' conditions.

And for the record, I'm a well-paid engineer in the biopharma industry that votes Libertarian and agrees with the woman in the video.... just think she may have put the issue the wrong way.
I'll say this so hopefully people will cast aside their confusion. A person, by his or her self, is worth, to an employer, $0.00.

Now, if you take that person, assuming qualifications, and put them to work carrying bricks on a work site, that "service" is worth a certain amount based on conditions that exist at the time in that labor market. In boom times, well, it might be worth $20.00 per hour, but in slow times, only $5.00, per hour.

Take that person, and again, assuming qualified, put him in the seat of a big rig, and he is worth more, or rather, the service he is providing is worth more.

Now, again, assuming qualified, and put him in the Cab of a high-liner crane unloading containerships at the Port of San Francisco, and he is worth even more (again, the service is worth more).

Another point, the value of things are determined by market forces, not the cost of production.

An ounce of gold is worth what the spot market says it is, whether you find a 100 oz nugget while hiking in the woods, or spend $1,000,000 setting up and operating a mine for a summer in the Klondike, to get it. Sometime you operate at a profit, other times at a loss.

Finally, it is important to understand that the service people provide, i.e. "labor" is a commodity subject, legitimately, and factually, to market forces, i.e. supply and demand.

I used to work at a Rodeway Express major terminal loading and unloading trailers. Some nights, I worked alongside an airline pilot who worked as a casual some nights, when he wasn't flying.

On the dock, the market said he was worth $13.23 an hour. In the cockpit, he was worth $50.00 an hour.

Nobody is worth anything, on their own. They only have $$ value, when they perform a service, and their value is wholly dependent on the service, i.e. "job", they are performing at the time.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:04 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
I'll say this so hopefully people will cast aside their confusion. A person, by his or her self, is worth, to an employer, $0.00.

Now, if you take that person, assuming qualifications, and put them to work carrying bricks on a work site, that "service" is worth a certain amount based on conditions that exist at the time in that labor market. In boom times, well, it might be worth $20.00 per hour, but in slow times, only $5.00, per hour.

Take that person, and again, assuming qualified, put him in the seat of a big rig, and he is worth more, or rather, the service he is providing is worth more.

Now, again, assuming qualified, and put him in the Cab of a high-liner crane unloading containerships at the Port of San Francisco, and he is worth even more (again, the service is worth more).

Another point, the value of things are determined by market forces, not the cost of production.

An ounce of gold is worth what the spot market says it is, whether you find a 100 oz nugget while hiking in the woods, or spend $1,000,000 setting up and operating a mine for a summer in the Klondike, to get it. Sometime you operate at a profit, other times at a loss.

Finally, it is important to understand that the service people provide, i.e. "labor" is a commodity subject, legitimately, and factually, to market forces, i.e. supply and demand.

I used to work at a Rodeway Express major terminal loading and unloading trailers. Some nights, I worked alongside an airline pilot who worked as a casual some nights, when he wasn't flying.

On the dock, the market said he was worth $13.23 an hour. In the cockpit, he was worth $50.00 an hour.

Nobody is worth anything, on their own. They only have $$ value, when they perform a service, and their value is wholly dependent on the service, i.e. "job", they are performing at the time.
This would be true if people are machines but they are not. People are just not working for the fun of it they are working because they need the money to survive. Of course some people will say businesses do not owe anyone enough to live on which is just an excuse for them to continue to be greedy and let other have to help their employees.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
why don't they just fire these people "striking"????

They aren't union are they? If they aren't happy with their compensation, I'm sure there are quite a few unemployed people out there who'd love to have it.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:28 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Why is $15 the magic number? Why not $25 ? Why not $30?
Once the minimum wage IS raised to $15hr, and the prices of virtually everything are raised to compensate for the government mandated pay increase, and the people who are making $15hr are no better off then they were before, their next demand WILL be for another raise to perhaps $25 or $30hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies