Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,791,567 times

Advertisements

My sister had a baby and when I went to the hospital to see her and the baby I had to show ID and sign in. As I stood in line and looked around at people of all races who could get ID's to visit. Funny how no one claimed they were disenfranchised in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
I'm all for IDs.

But these weak and shallow arguments that you try to pass as justification are only hurting the cause. Sometimes it's better to just leave these discussions up to those who are better fit to handle them. We don't need unfit people with weak arguments diluting the cause (in this case, the cause to require IDs to vote).

The obvious rebuttal that someone who is even half awake will throw out is that you don't have a right to visit your sister in a hospital. It is a privilege. However, voting is a right.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,791,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm all for IDs.

But these weak and shallow arguments that you try to pass as justification are only hurting the cause. Sometimes it's better to just leave these discussions up to those who are better fit to handle them. We don't need unfit people with weak arguments diluting the cause (in this case, the cause to require IDs to vote).

The obvious rebuttal that someone who is even half awake will throw out is that you don't have a right to visit your sister in a hospital. It is a privilege. However, voting is a right.
Yea, it is a right. But then again, Democrats claim it's too hard. Nothing like dems insulting your intelligence and you agreeing. Really? So how can you get a job? How are we to believe that you can function in society like everyone else when you can't get something as simple as a voter ID?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,472,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm all for IDs.

No it isn't. It's just been called a right for so long that people assume it is. It is not. The constitution does say you can't restrict someone from voting due to race or gender or failure to pay a poll tax, etc. However, it does not contain a universal right to vote. The vote has been extended to include people previously excluded several times, but that does not make it a right.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,281,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No it isn't. It's just been called a right for so long that people assume it is. It is not. The constitution does say you can't restrict someone from voting due to race or gender or failure to pay a poll tax, etc. However, it does not contain a universal right to vote. The vote has been extended to include people previously excluded several times, but that does not make it a right.
Foolish argument. We don't get our rights from the government and naturally our rights aren't listed in the constitution.

Seriously, how do you come to the conclusion that voting is not a right when the constitution states voting is a right 4 times?

Quote:
15th
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

19th
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

24th
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

26th
The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote
, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age.
Just for kicks, are you also going to say that we don't have the right to have guns even though the constitution says we do?

2nd
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

What about the 4th? Do we now not have the right against unreasonable searches?

4th
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:24 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,697,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, it is a right. But then again, Democrats claim it's too hard. Nothing like dems insulting your intelligence and you agreeing. Really? So how can you get a job? How are we to believe that you can function in society like everyone else when you can't get something as simple as a voter ID?
And it flies right over their heads, lol.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
The founding fathers said there shpuld be no poll tax. 0 dollars and not 1 red cent needed to cast a vote.

Make id 100% free and paid for with taxes, there is no reason to not have a voter id law.

If it costs you 1 penny to get an id, then thats a poll tax.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,697,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The founding fathers said there shpuld be no poll tax. 0 dollars and not 1 red cent needed to cast a vote.

Make id 100% free and paid for with taxes, there is no reason to not have a voter id law.

If it costs you 1 penny to get an id, then thats a poll tax.
/sigh.

One more time:

When something is paid for with taxes, IT'S NOT FREE!

Someone is paying for it.

Why is that so hard to figure out?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 AM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
My sister had a baby and when I went to the hospital to see her and the baby I had to show ID and sign in. As I stood in line and looked around at people of all races who could get ID's to visit. Funny how no one claimed they were disenfranchised in this situation.
In these days of fractured marriages and complicated relationships, baby theft from hospitalsis becoming a problem. The worst of it happens when a visitor goes into the mother's room and snatches the baby.

Other incidents like quarrels that break out or similar disruptions are also becoming in increasing problem in nurseries. Maybe it's possible that you had to check in due to this as a security issue?

Hospital liability is another reason for requiring ID checks. When I had an emergency appendectomy last year, I had to show my ID as the first thing that happened when I entered the emergency room, and I was in so much pain I was barely coherent.

There are lots of reasons why hospitals need security. Drugs thefts and other crimes of all kinds happen in them these days. I wouldn't say showing your ID is any kind of disenfranchisement; people have to go through ID checks all the time in public and governmental spaces.

I can understand your resentment; I wish things were different too, but it's one of the nastier social facts of modern life.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
/sigh.

One more time:

When something is paid for with taxes, IT'S NOT FREE!

Someone is paying for it.

Why is that so hard to figure out?
Roads aren't free. Everyone can walk on them.

Understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies