Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd say as shown in gangs ;prison gangs and violence on the street is worse than ever. Not even in our school do people just leave other alone it seems. Most often the association is by race. Asian; blacks; white; spainish all do it.
Ah, but it's just a construct the enlightened classes now say. History would tell us there is something more primal going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Ok, I read the article.

One part said "More jarring is the 48 percent of white millennial's who say discrimination against whites is as big a problem as discrimination against racial minorities. "

I think this is because it only takes a generation to not see the link between a policy and a change. They are too young and did not experience anything of this firsthand and since they are "colorblind" they cannot see the recent past.

For example, I know at the local community college there are long time faculty members and a few employees that I assume benefited from affirmative action (I should ask but would that be rude?) So these youngers see them and think "oh all is hunky dory, we have representation by Hispanics", they them self might be a Hispanic or a white and they don't know that sometimes the ONLY reason that person made it to that level was affirmative action. Not that they weren't talented or capable but things were seriously so bad only 30 years back that many could not get hired because of "good ole' boy" networks or whites getting preferential hiring. Hence affirmative action was invented. We just got the point where things were almost equal and now the youngers are against it. For blacks they never got equal in thee jobs, You see maybe one two black men in this college working. It is sad they cannot see the recent past-but natural too. Also the Internet has spawned a mass of a mess to sort thru to get to the thru so no wonder they think like they do.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Keep in mind that these millennials are largely in their 20's. So their views and experience with race are still developing.

from the article:

Quote:
For this reason, perhaps, a majority of millennials say that their generation is “post-racial.” Seventy-two percent believe their generation believes in equality more than older people, and 58 percent believe that as they get older, racism will become less of an issue.

It’s almost certainly true that this view is influenced by the presence of President Obama. Sixty-two percent believe that having a black president shows that minorities have the same opportunities as whites, and 67 percent believe it proves that race is not a “barrier to accomplishments.”
As a black member of Generation X my views on race are more nuanced than they were when I was in my 20's. I don't think having a black president means that all non whites have the same opportunities as whites across the board. I think race plays itself out differently in different regions and professions. Race in California is something different than in Alabama. Having a black president doesn't mean we'll see more black head coaches in big college football or that black actors will get more diverse roles in Hollywood. Again race can play itself out differently in various areas of American life.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Get rid of racial categorizations altogether...

Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Get rid of racial categorizations altogether...
Wouldn't that make it difficult to track racial disparities?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Wouldn't that make it difficult to track racial disparities?
Dont know and to be honest, dont care, we have wasted trillions on welfare and for what?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Yeah that is the problem, alot of people on the left see racism when there is none..

Really Racism is alive and well. The dormant racists came out when Obama was elected.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Really Racism is alive and well. The dormant racists came out when Obama was elected.
So is asking real questions racist?

Is questions his actions and motives racist?

Is calling out lies, fraud, and corruption racist?

Is wanting to secure the Southern Border Racist?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:

I am just responding to your statement that a lot on the left see racism when there is none. Racism is still here whether you believe it or not. That was my point.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I am just responding to your statement that a lot on the left see racism when there is none. Racism is still here whether you believe it or not. That was my point.
Are they racist? Yes or No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies