Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You couldn't have lived through the Vietnam war years if you can say this. The up keep on this (and all war memorials) is a small price to pay for the lives that were lost. If society doesn't want to continue the upkeep on places like this then maybe we should quite sending our young people off to war and disband our military all together. Think how much money that would save!

Oh, and charging an admission fee for the 911 museum---I see nothing wrong with that what so ever. They have an overhead just like any other place. Gift shop on sight? If the people visiting don't buy stuff it will dry up and go away, which it won't. I've never been in a museum that DIDN'T have a gift shop.
I most certainly lived through the Vietnam war, 50,000 deaths yet the simplicity of the monument and the emotion that it evokes is truly touching.

I am not against memorials, they are an important part of our history but in some cases they have been taken to extremes. Private investors can do as they want, I just think that the annual cost in addition to the initial funding is extreme. 911 was a tragedy of monumental proportions but there has to be some level of financial reason applied, politics played a great deal in the final product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What seems to be the problem? The "tacky" gift shop and $24 admission charge will help running the memorial site. This is a market driven economy.

Try reading the article. The CEO of the 9/11 foundation is getting almost 400K a year. I understand it is the CEO, but how about a salary cap of say 200K?

As in the case of many charities, you find out a lot of it goes to cover ridiculous salaries and not for the cause itself, or the cost to keep maintain running the site.

And what a strange amount. Why not just round it up or down to $20 or $25.

And yes, the gift shop is beyond tacky and overpriced.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
targeting the gift shop as making money off 911 is quite the minor issue here.

The new 1,776 ft "freedom tower" is ugly, jmo. But Silverstein isn't known for his good taste.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Oh, and to answer your question, what seems to be the problem?
Dipwads that are too thick to comprehend this site is sacred to some.
Indeed. Like Halliburton.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Everyone that goes there is most likely tagged and PHOTO ID'D!!!!!

I wouldnt recommend going 10ft near it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies