Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Among the people you know, which is more acceptable?
Being gay 64 53.78%
Being anti-gay 50 42.02%
Not sure 5 4.20%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And again, big man, is there anything you don't like? Let's here it.
I actually keep an open mind to just about everything, thank you. Especially when it comes to intimate relationships that others share with others. My mind continues to open up as I get older. I used to be have off opinions about some couples but I have matured and now just think about how silly my thoughts were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I actually keep an open mind to just about everything, thank you. Especially when it comes to intimate relationships that others share with others. My mind continues to open up as I get older. I used to be have off opinions about some couples but I have matured and now just think about how silly my thoughts were.
Utopia must be nice. But back on earth, most folks have opinions and tendencies and preferences (hardwired or otherwise) and hangups and whatever else.

I wrote that post under the assumption that being homosexual meant having a strong attraction /preference for the same sex... and yes, an AVERSION to the other sex in a relationship/sexual sense. I also assumed the opposite for heterosexuals. If that is not the case, we are talking about bisexuals. So, if we can assume that there is a sexual preference in there (which maybe we can't according to you) then there are presumably reasons for that--in fact some of those reasons might lie beyond simple biology and hard wiring. Perhaps they involve the psyche? And perhaps some of those reasons dovetail with not "getting" homosexuality. It might be worth considering and discussing and exploring. Maybe. Then again, if all I'm going to get in return is being called an (in so many words) then forget it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2014 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: language

Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I dont know. Im gay and i can accept it when people dont like it. I dont like women. The idea of being with one sounds gross. I dont get why straight guys like it. As long as theyre against discrimination against me im ok with them

I'm not opposed to gay people. You are who you are, and that's all there is to it. Having said that, you said the idea of being with a woman is gross. So, as a straight guy, am I too allowed to express that the idea of being with another dude is gross without being labeled a bigot? Remember, and NFL player was recently fined for expressing that very same thought. So, as long as you're not clinging to the double standard, that it's OK for one to say it, but not the other, I guess all is well, right?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
Other than my parents and in-laws, I don't personally know a single person who is vocally anti-gay. I think the majority of people in my age bracket and younger accept homosexuality without issue. I think it is just not that big of a deal anymore. Thank goodness.
It is definitely antigay that is more tolerated than being gay. People just don't say it out loud.

Take a look at the more than dozen referendums around the country on gay marriage. Even the liberal state of Cali voted for prop 8 with 70% or so minorities in favor of prop 8. This fact alone should tell you something about people's attitude.

I know that recent polls tell us that people are becoming more tolerant of homos. I'll believe it when I see actual voting results, not some gallup poll sampling 200 people or so.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm not opposed to gay people. You are who you are, and that's all there is to it. Having said that, you said the idea of being with a woman is gross. So, as a straight guy, am I too allowed to express that the idea of being with another dude is gross without being labeled a bigot? Remember, and NFL player was recently fined for expressing that very same thought. So, as long as you're not clinging to the double standard, that it's OK for one to say it, but not the other, I guess all is well, right?
Women disgust me. And I fully accept that straight guys think it's gross to be with other guys.

That said, you guys do more than just say you think being with other guys is gross. You actually go out of your way to vote against our rights. There's a difference.

With regard to that NFL player being fined, the NFL is a private organization. They can do whatever the hell they want. Isn't that what you people have been arguing for? Or do you only support private companies to discriminate against gay people but you don't support them not discriminating against gay people?

Added by edit.

Do you straight guys realize how disgusted we are when you talk about things like camel toes?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
You are absolutely allowed to say or think whatever you want about homosexuals or anyone for that matter. However, you are not free from consequences or repercussions from your words.

Of course it's okay for you to say it, but it is equally as okay for the public, your employer, and other people to react to your words. And their reactions do not have to be positive or accepting.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Women disgust me. And I fully accept that straight guys think it's gross to be with other guys.

OK. Fair enough.

That said, you guys do more than just say you think being with other guys is gross. You actually go out of your way to vote against our rights. There's a difference.

I haven't voted to deny anyone's rights. So I don't know who "you guys" are? In fact denying one's rights is pretty un-American, no?

With regard to that NFL player being fined, the NFL is a private organization. They can do whatever the hell they want. Isn't that what you people have been arguing for? Or do you only support private companies to discriminate against gay people but you don't support them not discriminating against gay people?

Sure they can do whatever they want. Having said that, it's gotten to the point where nobody is safe from being ostracized for any dissent or anything that differs from the collective. That is "mob mentality" and that is not the basis that this country was founded on. Personally, I don't need the collective to tell me how to think, act, feel, or how to be a nice person. When it comes down to it, I'll take individuality, and respect differences in opinions that differ from mine, rather than subscribe to PC group think! Even if someone here at work made derrogatory remarks about my heritage, gender, sexuality, or whatever, I wouldn't seek to have them fired. Now, f*** with my money, source of income, or physically attack me? Now we have a problem.

Added by edit.

Do you straight guys realize how disgusted we are when you talk about things like camel toes?

It depends who the camel toe is on.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely allowed to say or think whatever you want about homosexuals or anyone for that matter. However, you are not free from consequences or repercussions from your words.

Of course it's okay for you to say it, but it is equally as okay for the public, your employer, and other people to react to your words. And their reactions do not have to be positive or accepting.

That's all fine and dandy. However; if a gay person says that the idea of being with the opposite sex grosses them out, shouldn't they ALSO have to deal with the consequences for their choice of words, should someone become offended? If not, then that is the double standard and hypocrisy that I'm talking about. What's good for the goose....

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
That's all fine and dandy. However; if a gay person says that the idea of being with the opposite sex grosses them out, shouldn't they ALSO have to deal with the consequences for their choice of words, should someone become offended? If not, then that is the double standard and hypocrisy that I'm talking about. What's good for the goose....
Of course they should have to deal with the consequences of their words.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. What consequences should someone face for saying on a internet forum that grosses her out to be with a member of the same sex? People can disagree all they want.

I don't think saying something is gross on an anonymous forum compares to an NFL player publicly breaking a code of conduct that he signed.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Of course they should have to deal with the consequences of their words.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. What consequences should someone face for saying on a internet forum that grosses her out to be with a member of the same sex? People can disagree all they want.

I don't think saying something is gross on an anonymous forum compares to an NFL player publicly breaking a code of conduct that he signed.

I'm talking about in a work environment. Let's take the NFL for example. A player was fined for openly expressing his displeasure of seeing two dudes kissing. So, if Michael Sam who is gay, openly expresses that 2 people off the opposite sex kissing is gross, should he then be subject to the same treatment? Me personally, I don't care if a gay person says that 2 people of the opposite sex kissing is gross. Of course a gay person would think so, because they aren't straight. The same could apply with a straight person. It doesn't mean I'm against it, now does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies