Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,474,995 times

Advertisements

I'm a common sense second amendment guy.

I think people carrying rifles into a restaurant to make some sort of a point are idiots. I completely understand how it would make many of the other diners nervous. Sure, they are law abiding citizens. Sure, they have the right to do so. But why?

The owner of a daycare has every right to pull out his driver and take practice swings in the room where the kids are playing. He can watch for where the kids are running and only swing when they are out of the way. But why?

I'd be nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs if I had my family in a restaurant and a bunch of goofballs came in with their rifles. How am I to know which of these guys are well disciplined gun owners and which is the gun infatuated cousin who tagged along with his right-out-of-the-box gun that is his new "toy"?

I'm a CHL holder who will never open carry, because I think it's a bad idea for my situation. If other people want to open carry their pistols, that's fine with me. If some lunatic goes on a shooting spree, the open carry people will be the first targets giving me added odds of escaping. I also believe that any bad guy bent on robbery will turn away from an establishment with a couple of open carry people sitting inside.

IMHO, these guys who took their guns into Chipolte did a disservice to other gun owners. If Chipolte bans open carry, it would not be a factor that would cause me to boycott (even though I rarely go there to begin with). However, if they put up a 30.06 sign, I will skip their establishment.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:53 AM

893 posts, read 881,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post

Your polls also indicate a strong "Christian" belief as a part of our society, yet attendance at church's continues to decline. So any poll is suspect. Ask the Republican Party of the polling indicating a landslide for Mitt Romney.
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!! Run for elections on taking away guns. The leftists might never win a national election again.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 AM

14,988 posts, read 23,786,917 times
Quote:
Yet those "rights" have limitations...the first amendment doesn't allow for unlimited speech.

Your polls also indicate a strong "Christian" belief as a part of our society, yet attendance at church's continues to decline. So any poll is suspect. Ask the Republican Party of the polling indicating a landslide for Mitt Romney.

The 2nd amendment was included to entice the slave holding states to agree to a union. The term "militia" was used to authorize localities to have a slave patrol to ensure the growing population of slaves would firmly under control. The "militia" would keep slave in order and required each male to be part of the militia to ensure no slave rebellions.

So it's a matter of correcting the 2nd amendment. The authors of the constitution allowed for that to happen. And I see that happening sooner rather than later.
Of course rights have limitations, no argument...and Christian belief or Mitt Romney is not relevant to this topic.

For your second paragraph, you are incorrect and I have no idea who told you this. Slavery was not really the issue since all states, northern and southern, were essentially slave holding states during the time of the American Revolution. Some northern states had laws that allowed slavery into the 1830s.

The militia clause was indeed done for states rights but had nothing to do with slavery, but essentially, during the time of the Revolution, every man was part of a militia. Nevertheless, early version of the gun rights amendment did not mention the militia at all. Many people have interpreted the militia clause as saying "oh look, that means you have to be part of a militia to own a gun". That's a misinterpretation, and the supreme court has upheld the 2nd amendment as an individual right.

Of course the constitution can be amended. But I see no scenario in my or your lifetime where the 2nd amendment would determine that it is possible. I am also proposing that you do not want our bill of rights amended, because of it's impact to individual rights. You just don't know it.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, these guys who took their guns into Chipolte did a disservice to other gun owners. If Chipolte bans open carry, it would not be a factor that would cause me to boycott (even though I rarely go there to begin with). However, if they put up a 30.06 sign, I will skip their establishment.
Are there even any gun stores in Texas that would allow someone to walk in like that with apparently loaded rifles in their hands?

When I was a kid in small-town Oklahoma, it was not terribly unusual to see someone carrying openly. Anyone might have a revolver on the front seat of his automobile. People frequently had a loaded rifle or shotgun in their pickup trucks. Every now and then, you'd see a farmer or a rancher in town with a handgun on his belt.

The farmer or rancher with a handgun on his belt was no different from the carpenter with the hammer hanging from his belt. The farmer had it on while making a stop at the feed store--he removed it when he went to the restaurant. He'd also remove it if he visited someone's house. That was a matter of good manners.

But people didn't have these fetishes about guns, and walking into a McDonald's with your gun in your hand is a fetish, not a demonstration of a civil right.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM

893 posts, read 881,747 times
Quote:
Gun "rights" are only a scotus decision away from being corrected no matter what Wayne a LaPiere says. There isn't a magic man in the sky that proclaimed "Ricky booby and earl kutz of yahoo city can have a gun". Some day your gun privilege, like a drivers license will be revoked. No matter how many open carry tantrums are staged. Then like an alcoholic or drug addict there will be taxpayer funded programs or 12 step systems to cure your gun addictions. Technology will solve the problem of the gun. Even now the nails are being placed on the coffin of the gun as we know it, smart guns will be the next step to take control from the gun droolers.

Society will change, it's what we do best.
Won't happen.

And, you should not want that to happen either.

People who think like you do are the ones that are scary. I have zero doubt that if the hard left had their way and all the guns were taken away from citizens, it would eventually evolve to jailing or exterminating people that disagree with their political stance and beliefs.

The reason I know this is because I've had conversations with numerous leftists that have stated that they would be all for it.

-Global warming denier? Jailed
-Pro 2A? Jailed
-Anti Abortion? Jailed.

Several have even went so far as to say the most vocal ones should be eliminated.

The right wouldn't act that way. They would simply disagree with your opinion but realize that you are entitled to your opinion.

The left will do anything and everything in their power to shut down ANY AND ALL disagreement with them. We are already seeing it with the current administration. One only has to look at the IRS targeting of political opponents.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,379 times
Imo, anyone, and I mean anyone, that thinks every criminal and gang member is going to hand over their guns to law enforcement, does not have a grip on reality.
Therefore, I will make this promise to all of the liberal do-gooders. When the criminal world is free from all weapons that might harm me or mine, I will give up my weapon. If the constitution of this country says I have to, but I'm not going to hold my breath until that day comes to pass. I'll just keep my gun cleaned, oiled, and loaded.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,497,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
ROTFLOL.

Chicago is gun free. How's that working out for them?

No it's not.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,497,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Imo, anyone, and I mean anyone, that thinks every criminal and gang member is going to hand over their guns to law enforcement, does not have a grip on reality.
Therefore, I will make this promise to all of the liberal do-gooders. When the criminal world is free from all weapons that might harm me or mine, I will give up my weapon. If the constitution of this country says I have to, but I'm not going to hold my breath until that day comes to pass. I'll just keep my gun cleaned, oiled, and loaded.
And yet, there are millions of people who have never felt the need to own a firearm & have never been a victim of crime. How can that be?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,934,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
ROTFLOL.
ROTFLOL is right because once again, you stepped in a big pile of doo doo.

Quote:
compare Chicago to Houston. Similarly sized cities and similar demographics.
No problem...

Chicago's gun murder rate is 11.6. Houston's is 12.9.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM

24,297 posts, read 16,996,781 times
It does seem a bit extreme to be carrying rifles around in public places but I guess these guys are trying to make a point.
Think about it this way if some nut job set to rob the bank, the store or resteraunt and there is a legal gun owning guy with a rifle slung on his back guess who will be the first target for the NUT ? This will give me time to get out or get down and give the rest of the legal owners time to chamber a round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies