Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And yet, there are millions of people who have never felt the need to own a firearm & have never been a victim of crime. How can that be?
Come up with some numbers on how many that HAVE been victims of crime and then we'll talk and please provide references. Just for your info, in the 7 years that we have lived in this house, 2 people have been killed within speaking distance of here. The trial started yesterday for the 17 year old girl that stabbed a 80 year old man out for his daily walk in the neighborhood and left his body in a ditch. This happened 3 houses from mine. I am 70 and I walk the neighborhood also with a cane (and I am packing). This is not going to happen to me.
I would rather have a gun and not need it than to not have a gun and need it.

http://swtimes.com/sections/news/17-...-homicide.html

Last edited by slingshot; 05-21-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
ROTFLOL is right because once again, you stepped in a big pile of doo doo.

No problem...

Chicago's gun murder rate is 11.6. Houston's is 12.9.
If you compare edged-weapon murder rates, the US is in the top five or six, sharing that top ten with Latin American and SE Asian countries, too.

The US has a problem with people killing people, regardless of method.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,934,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The US has a problem with people killing people, regardless of method.
Well I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but....

Quote:
If you compare edged-weapon murder rates, the US is in the top five or six, sharing that top ten with Latin American and SE Asian countries, too.
Not only are you missing the point, but you are using the wrong matrix. The issue is lethality i.e. mortality rates the number of attacks is irrelevant, but the survival fatality or survival rate of those attacks. In a six year study published in The Journal of Trauma, the mortality rate for gunshot wounds was 22%
while that for stab wounds was 4%. A study conducted in South Africa over a 5 year period revealed similar results, the mortality rate from gunshots was eight times higher than those who had suffered knife wounds. Study from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania found that:
4,122 patients taken to eight Level I and Level II adult trauma centers in Philadelphia between January 1, 2003 and December 31, 2007. Of these, 2,961 were transported by EMS and 1,161 by the police. The overall mortality rate was 27.4 percent. Just over three quarters (77.9 percent) of the victims suffered gunshot wounds, and just under a quarter (22.1 percent) suffered stab wounds. The majority of patients in both groups (84.1 percent) had signs of life on delivery to the hospital. A third of patients with gunshot wounds (33.0 percent) died compared with 7.7 percent of patients with stab wounds.
Survival Rates Similar for Gunshot, Stabbing Victims Whether Brought to the Hospital by Police or EMS, Penn Medicine Study Finds

Need more evidence (as oppose to the offered bona fides of our latest internet Super SEAL)?
For penetrating thoracic injury the survival rate is fairly uniform at 18-33%, with stab wounds having a far greater chance of survival than gunshot wounds. Isolated thoracic stab wounds causing cardiac tamponade probably have the highest survival rate, approaching 70%. In contrast, gunshot wounds injuring more than one cardiac chamber and causing exsanguination have a much higher mortaility.
TRAUMA.ORG: Emergency Department Thoracotomy

Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,497,863 times
I don't have numbers slingshot. I live in a neighborhood where people are murdered as well. And? It happens. Still doesn't make me cower in fear & reach for a firearm. I even hang outside on my porch, right out in the open where anyone walking by in the park could take a shot at me. Still doesn't make me reach for a firearm.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM

28,575 posts, read 18,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but....

Not only are you missing the point,
You're missing my point. While edged weapons are less lethal, the intent was still, in most cases, to kill. Americans have too much of an intent to kill each other for a developed Western nation.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 PM

28,988 posts, read 14,336,347 times
Quote:
Lol, you can't really be prepared if someone shoots you first but ok!
Your right, but if your dead it really doesn't matter much at that point does it ? Situational awareness is what prepares you for the situation, the firearm is just the tool to deal with it. I'd rather be prepared than not. That is my choice, you have yours.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM

28,988 posts, read 14,336,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Scarab, you sound like a pretty sensible individual and quite frankly, not one of the scary types who is walking around with iron strapped to their body.

But, I don't think your comparison holds water.

The seatbelt, smoke detectors, sled and bike helmet...those things protect you, and are very unlikely to hurt me. Even in the "wrong" hands it is hard to argue that I live in fear of dying from an errant helmet.

But a gun? That is a whole different story. The shootout begins, the gun is stolen, or you accidently discharge it, and I have a very real possibility of getting hurt, or worse. Maybe not you, per se, but there are plenty of guns in some real moronic hands, and plenty of guns in the hands of criminals to whom my life, or your life, don't matter as much as getting their hands on ten bucks in order to score the next hit. Armed, unarmed, they don't really give a hoot when they shoot you. History has shown...especially recent history, that your chances of defending yourself with a gun are slim to none. More than likely it is going to escalate a situation where you might have otherwise escaped, but once the gun was introduced, it became a lethal challenge.

Sorry, I stick with my thesis that we have outgrown guns except in a sporting environment and there are plenty of ways to control their sale from manufacture to secure range.
I see your point, and I'm not going to argue with it. I see plenty of firearms holders that should even be allowed to drive a car much less own and carry a firearm. Owning and carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsibilty, and for those that make the ultimate mistake and shoot an innocent person either by negligence or not being on my target...well then they have to deal with the legal consequences and mental ones. A firearms owner should always be practicing and trying to further their skill set to help negate a negligent shooting.
As far as theft, I won't go any further than that doesn't even belong in this discussion. Things will be stolen, again it isn't the tool that is stolen but the criminal that steals it and plan on using it to harm others. Don't focus on the tool , but the criminal. Also I think your off some on your assumption that in recent history , having a firearm did not help. There have been more than a handful of defensive situations that the victims are alive because they were armed, here in the Metro Detroit area this past month.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,413,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Oh here we go again, christine!

I'm concealed carry, and could stand NEXT to you in a store and you would never have a clue...
Get over yourself, Quit already!
Has it occurred to you that that is exactly the problem with open carry? It intimidates people, and that is its only purpose. That's why some states ONLY allow concealed carry.

You shouldn't have a clue someone is concealed carrying. That's the whole point. But if you see someone pull a gun out of his jacket, you KNOW that he's going to start shooting. That's not the case with open carry. You don't know what the person's intent is.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-21-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,379 times
Quote:
I don't have numbers slingshot. I live in a neighborhood where people are murdered as well. And? It happens. Still doesn't make me cower in fear & reach for a firearm. I even hang outside on my porch, right out in the open where anyone walking by in the park could take a shot at me. Still doesn't make me reach for a firearm.
As do I to all of the above. "Cower in fear" has nothing to do with it. Being prepared does and I don't plan on reaching for a firearm until the need arises. Maybe the folks that were murdered in both of our neighborhoods would be alive today if they were armed.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,413,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Let me ask you this; I carry concealed, I am a u.s. army vet with overseas deployment and served to protect foreign dignitaries as well, with more training than some police officers. SO what's the difference between a cop open carrying in public, and a u.s. soldier?? Open carry is NOT necessarily meant to intimidate or bully, but merely a choice to allow ACCESS. DO you carry your phone in your purse, OR on your belt in a case??? DO you wear a watch or rely on the clock on your phone?? Same damn difference! STOP picking on subjects which you know very LITTLE about.
How do we know whether the guy by the school with an AR15 is a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? Wait until he starts shooting to decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies