Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 PM

65 posts, read 190,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Let me ask you this; I carry concealed, I am a u.s. army vet with overseas deployment and served to protect foreign dignitaries as well, with more training than some police officers. SO what's the difference between a cop open carrying in public, and a u.s. soldier?? Open carry is NOT necessarily meant to intimidate or bully, but merely a choice to allow ACCESS. DO you carry your phone in your purse, OR on your belt in a case??? DO you wear a watch or rely on the clock on your phone?? Same damn difference! STOP picking on subjects which you know very LITTLE about.
Comparing the reason for open carrying firearms to carrying watches and cell phones - that's more ridiculous than the cars kill people argument.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMB View Post
Comparing the reason for open carrying firearms to carrying watches and cell phones - that's more ridiculous than the cars kill people argument.
AGAIN, this has ONLY to do with access. IS your phone easier for you to access in your pocket or on your belt? Would you have easier access to your weapon in a "belly band" under your shirt, or openly carried in a pancake holster?? Take the weapon out of the equation, NOW do you get it?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I scratch my head in bewilderment as to why people feel the need to carry a gun everywhere they go. Paranoid much? And this constant in your face with guns little uprisings that keep popping up only supports my theory that those who have to hide behind their weapons 24/7 are mentally unstable.
This would be a funny statement if it wasn't such a serious topic and it ends up just being sad on your end. Because you can't understand something it makes the people that do mentally unstable ? What a sad way to go thru life. It's apparent that you must not watch the news or live in a utopia of safety. I can't grasp why someone wouldn't take every possible opportunity they can to protect themselves or their families but it's your choice... do I think your mentally unstable for making that choice...no.
I really wish we lived in a world with no "bad guys" and zero crime, if we did I would leave my firearms in the safe only to be used for target shooting. Sadly we do not, at least where I live it isn't.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
midwest, I fail to see how comparing a phone or watch to a firearm is even logical or relevant.
I do.. it's all a part of his EDC.
Phone, watch , wallet, flashlight, pocket knife, handkerchief, wedding ring, and firearm. It isn't so hard to understand...

Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Why would it bother anyone for honest, law-abiding citizens to be carrying guns?

I'm more concerned about the dishonest, law-breaking types who rob Chipotle's at gunpoint. I'd sure feel safer having some armed civilians in such a situation.

How do I know which you are when you walk through the door? As I said recently in another of Christina's threads, someone walking into the door of a restaurant brandishing a firearm is going to put me into Condition Orange bordering on Condition Red. With the wrong move, then SHTF happens.

534 posts, read 904,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Let me ask you this; I carry concealed, I am a u.s. army vet with overseas deployment and served to protect foreign dignitaries as well, with more training than some police officers. SO what's the difference between a cop open carrying in public, and a u.s. soldier?? Open carry is NOT necessarily meant to intimidate or bully, but merely a choice to allow ACCESS. DO you carry your phone in your purse, OR on your belt in a case??? DO you wear a watch or rely on the clock on your phone?? Same damn difference! STOP picking on subjects which you know very LITTLE about.
As a security guard what is your response when you see an unknown person carrying a weapon into an area where weapons normally aren't seen? Would your professional response be to relax or would it be go into a cautious alert? As a family person that lives a normal life with the usual problems, is it normal to see an armed band of unknowns walking into a restaurant? I think not and that it is cause for concern.

As far as access, how many weapons does one need to have on your person to feel safe? Isn't one desert eagle enough to keep you safe from the guy the wraps the burrito?

As most state gun laws where written in a more sane age, I can't imagine any legislator intended that "open carry" meant swinging into a store with an ar and 3 magazines at the ready. I think that it was meant to allow for open carry to a gun range or on ones property, not at a old folks home.

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Guns have no place, and serve no useful purpose, in a modern society.

The bottom line for any sort of gun 'carrying' individual--legal or illegal--is that they introduce the opportunity for someone to get hurt or killed.

When was the last time you heard or read an article which lauded the involvement of a gun because it caused some good? Virtually never (I am sure the NRA has a list of the events).

More often, the 'news' is that someone was shot or killed in a domestic disturbance, in an argument, in 'defending' themselves, or through an accidental discharge of a loaded gun.

The only way to resolve the gun issue is to eliminate them from the public hands. It will take a hundred years to get the 'pipeline' cleaned out, but it has to start somewhere. Put the 'recreational' guns in a preserve where you check them out, and check them in, and genuine gun folks can do their thing. For the rest, sorry, but whatever 'rights' you thought you had have been usurped by the knuckleheads (the Chipotle crowd, for example) who are irresponsible and have contributed to an unacceptable level of injury and death.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I do.. it's all a part of his EDC.
Phone, watch , wallet, flashlight, pocket knife, handkerchief, wedding ring, and firearm. It isn't so hard to understand...
Yeah, it is pretty much simple as that. People need to take the emotion and passion out of the subject of weapons. Giving it all these evil, almost supernatural, attributes. This goes for the gun community as well - it's not a device of power, to scare people, or to impress people (and, fortunetly, most of the gun carrying community is not like that, but a very small minority make it bad for the rest).

Once you do that, it becomes a tool (one of last resort and that you hope never to use) that you simply strap on when you go out, not much different from your cell phone and wallet, except that you obviously need to respect a weapon in terms of safety and never become complacent with it. I don't think about having a gun behind my right hip when I am out, I'm aware of it, I can use it, but I don't dwell on it. There is that corner of the brain where my firearms training resides, but it stays there unless needed, and I otherwise go about my daily life like anyone else.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
As a security guard what is your response when you see an unknown person carrying a weapon into an area where weapons normally aren't seen? Would your professional response be to relax or would it be go into a cautious alert? As a family person that lives a normal life with the usual problems, is it normal to see an armed band of unknowns walking into a restaurant? I think not and that it is cause for concern.

As far as access, how many weapons does one need to have on your person to feel safe? Isn't one desert eagle enough to keep you safe from the guy the wraps the burrito?

As most state gun laws where written in a more sane age, I can't imagine any legislator intended that "open carry" meant swinging into a store with an ar and 3 magazines at the ready. I think that it was meant to allow for open carry to a gun range or on ones property, not at a old folks home.
Security guard???!!?? WHERE did you get that from??? Old folks home??
Christine, do you have A.D.D. or something?? You've just shown me how much you really don't understand this topic of discussion...

Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Guns have no place, and serve no useful purpose, in a modern society.

The bottom line for any sort of gun 'carrying' individual--legal or illegal--is that they introduce the opportunity for someone to get hurt or killed.

When was the last time you heard or read an article which lauded the involvement of a gun because it caused some good? Virtually never (I am sure the NRA has a list of the events).

More often, the 'news' is that someone was shot or killed in a domestic disturbance, in an argument, in 'defending' themselves, or through an accidental discharge of a loaded gun.

The only way to resolve the gun issue is to eliminate them from the public hands. It will take a hundred years to get the 'pipeline' cleaned out, but it has to start somewhere. Put the 'recreational' guns in a preserve where you check them out, and check them in, and genuine gun folks can do their thing. For the rest, sorry, but whatever 'rights' you thought you had have been usurped by the knuckleheads (the Chipotle crowd, for example) who are irresponsible and have contributed to an unacceptable level of injury and death.
Here is what is going on where I live... sorry I'm not buying your statement.

Detroit police chief defends right of 'fed-up' residents to arm themselves after year's 10th justified homicide | MLive.com

I and my family will continue to stay armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies