Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What a waste of money. You would think a school district could find a better place to spend $60 million than a damn football stadium. Like on stuff that would actually impact student learning, maybe.
Actually, Allen is an affluent area and an excellent school academically, too. It's not like we're talking about Odessa back in the 80s. A lot of the revenue goes back to academics. They were the top team in Texas two years in a row, and top 5 nationally. I guess the community thought it was a worthwhile investment.

Not all powerhouse teams think a like, though. In Katy, just outside Houston, voters in their powerhouse football district voted down an extravagant new stadium last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
It isn't just Texas that wastes tons of money on high school and college sports. The highest paid public employee in my state? Maybe the governor or attorney general? A university professor that's an international leader in his field? Surgeon General? Nope-the glorified gym teacher that runs the university football program-by a wide margin. That's true in a lot of states. Our priorities with taxpayer money are just effed.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It isn't just Texas that wastes tons of money on high school and college sports. The highest paid public employee in my state? Maybe the governor or attorney general? A university professor that's an international leader in his field? Surgeon General? Nope-the glorified gym teacher that runs the university football program-by a wide margin. That's true in a lot of states. Our priorities with taxpayer money are just effed.
This. It's a joke. Why people need these extravagant salaries is beyond me.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Money is not the problem for education.
I don't know if you're stupid or a liar but while more money doesn't guaranty success lack of money most certainly does guaranty failure. You're a fool if you think other wise.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't know if you're stupid or a liar but while more money doesn't guaranty success lack of money most certainly does guaranty failure. You're a fool if you think other wise.
We spend more per student than any country on earth. Yet our test scores in nearly every category are below par. More money isn't the solution, a new system is. Throwing more money at a failed system, administrators and teachers that aren't performing is foolish. Expecting the taxpaying public to continue to support this level of failure even more so.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
I just don't see evidence of the money thing as being a game changer. In our state we have a top 10 in the nation high school and a bottom 10 in the nation. The bottom 10 high school gets more than three times the amount of money than then top 10 one. If money were the problem, the problem school issues would be solved. I think it's a larger, less tangible issue - culture and value of educational attainment of the student body.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Typical liberal response. Throw money at it and everything will be fine and don't forget to say nasty things about the person who does not agree with you.

And you call yourself "Think4Yourself".

Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I think the brains of those who approved such a stadium have structural flaws.
Very true, some colleges don't spend that type of money, talk about misplaced priorities.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? The teachers aren't the ones who approved this. This is Texas, why not just tax the people who use the stadium to fix the mistake.
YEP, this is Texas - how about instead of "taxing" people, we get the folks who built this stadium to correct their mistakes AND take a look at why they got permits for a Stadium that didn't meet minimum Code? The "Tax" part was a done deal when the city of Allen passed a bond election to build the Stadium - the people of Allen have every right to assume the Stadium will be built correctly to Code.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:28 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
I'm calling BS, this is impossible. This stadium was built by union workers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies