Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
All the Americans should say 3 good things about Canada.

All the Canadians should say 3 good things about America.

Ready, set, go!

Poutine
Tim Horton's
Lanark Maple Syrup

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Plus Canadians are simply better people (read: far nicer etc.) than the average American is by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Opinion.

[]
Well, you're almost correct. Opinion yes, but it has to be politically correct opinion - otherwise, you get shut down. The exception is online forums.

Have you been seeing or reading about whats going on at college campuses in USA and Canada lately?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Other than being the most tolerant, there isn't any other index to prove the US is the best country. Every well being index I've seen shows the US is just barely making it in the top 10.
I am not sure that I would say that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world, but we were one of the first countries to create a permanent, lasting (semi-)democracy, as well as to rise from obscurity to become the most powerful and influential country in the world.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Countries obviously but you already knew that.

America-Europe equals many countries. You can't say Europe like all European countries are the same as well as America as USA is much different from Mexico. Lets compare The USA vs Holland for instance instead of America vs Europe.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Irrational if you live in Detroit, Chicago, or any other urban wasteland? Yes. Denver, anywhere in Montana, or twenty miles out of Yosemite(yours truly)nowhere I'd rather live.
Ah, but there's the thing. There are a multitude of countries where there is a lot of really amazing and beautiful geography. That fact surely does not make a country great.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Relatively, the US is very tolerant. You don't hear about fans using racial slurs at NFL and NBA games like you do in Premier League games.
I've been to Europe and I've seen real racism in public and with public approval, you would NEVER see that in the US (today anyway)

When I went to Germany you don't want to hear what they call black people. Then we traveled to Italy with some of my German cousins to go to a futbol game and they actually threw bananas on the field when black players from the UK team ran on the field. And they made chimp sounds.

And people laughed, I was shocked. Little kids throwing bananas with the approval of their parents.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Ah, but there's the thing. There are a multitude of countries where there is a lot of really amazing and beautiful geography. That fact surely does not make a country great.
But that is part of it, as is the sheer vastness of the country. Freedom to move and explore. Freedom of speech. No class structure as in Europe. Much like your country, no?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I've been to Europe and I've seen real racism in public and with public approval, you would NEVER see that in the US (today anyway)

When I went to Germany you don't want to hear what they call black people. Then we traveled to Italy with some of my German cousins to go to a futbol game and they actually threw bananas on the field when black players from the UK team ran on the field. And they made chimp sounds.

And people laughed, I was shocked. Little kids throwing bananas with the approval of their parents.
Don't know where you were in Germany, but I lived there for 11 years.

Ask any black man who was single during his tour of Germany...the answer will be unbelievably positive nearly every time.

We called it a "Black man's paradise," and for good reason.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
But that is part of it, as is the sheer vastness of the country. Freedom to move and explore. Freedom of speech. No class structure as in Europe. Much like your country, no?
Don't kid yourself. Canada and the USA have a class structure just as rigid and unbending as Europe does and it's worse than in many EU countries.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Yep. My friends all say that Afghanistan is one of the most beautiful places they've ever seen.

Vietnam vets marvel at the beauty of Vietnam.

Wouldn't call those "great" places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies