Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM

38,971 posts, read 27,360,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
In dollar amount terms, the U.S. gives more than any other country, spending more than $31 billion—though that accounts for a comparatively low 0.19 percent of GDP
and you think we should give more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,798,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Of the five most tolerant countries the US doesn't even make the list...
1...Canada

2...Australia

3...Argentina

4...Sweden

5...Azerbaijan
Really? Azerbaijan is more tolerant than the US?
How many of those countries have ever had a President who is a minority?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,709,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and you think we should give more?
I agree, though america gives most, compaired to the wealth we have its nothing. Just my opinion, we have enough resources in this world that no one needs to starve to death, thats what is really sad.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
California IS a great place though. It really is. That's not even subjective.

I mean, not great compared to what...Kansas?

Come on ...get real. Lol

The comparison of California to smaller states is exactly what occurs when one tries to compare "what it's like in the USA."

California has experienced chronic unemployment and debt. It's always on the verge of going broke, raising taxes, suffering from mismanagement and has a huge gap in wealth disparity, and swarms of illegal immigrants living in some pretty crappy ghettos just miles from multi million dollar homes. It's education is also not known for being great, and has a lot of crime and flaky, shallow people.

Compare to say, a homogenous little state in New England that has greater equality of citizens, better schools, less crime, less pollution, nicer and better people.

Which state is better? Some would say the state in New England. But how can small little Vermont or Maine or Connecticut EVER really compare to California?

In all its chaos, its diversity, California is one of the epicenters for exportation of American culture. It's a magnet for immigration and a hub for technological development. It also has one of the largest economies in the world.

But make no mistake about it, California is a pretty crappy place for a lot of people. Yet it could rightfully be called "the best state in America" for a number of factors and reasons, despite the flack it gets from smaller states and detractors.

So yeah, maybe in Finland with less people than many US cities everything is just gravy. Or Canada, with its 1/10th the population is "calmer".... but honestly, can the two be compared? SHOULD they be compared?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM

38,971 posts, read 27,360,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I agree, though america gives most, compaired to the wealth we have its nothing. Just my opinion, we have enough resources in this world that no one needs to starve to death, thats what is really sad.
You agree what? I don't think we should give at all. Everybody just takes our generosity for granted.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,529,034 times
Quote:
Poutine
Tim Horton's
Lanark Maple Syrup

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Plus Canadians are simply better people (read: far nicer etc.) than the average American is by a long shot.
Well, I won't say that Canada is a greater country than the USA because greatness or lack of it is purely subjective. I will though disagree that Canadians are better people than Americans. There are good and bad everywhere. I have met many Americans who were just the salt of the earth and better people just don't exist anywhere. What I don't like about the USA is the entire political system at all levels. Federal, State and Local. It really is a testament to the inherent greatness of the American people that they could accomplish so many great things despite such a horrendously horrible political system and such horrendously horrible political representatives.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,220,453 times
Quote:
California IS a great place though. It really is. That's not even subjective.

I mean, not great compared to what...Kansas?

Come on ...get real. Lol
But that was my point. From your perspective California might be great, I see a state headed to decline.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:29 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Really? Azerbaijan is more tolerant than the US?
How many of those countries have ever had a President who is a minority?
Lots of other countries have had Presidents and Prime Ministers who were women, including Pakistan and the Ukraine. It doesn't necessarily mean they're more, or less, tolerant than the USA.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,621,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Other than being the most tolerant, there isn't any other index to prove the US is the best country. Every well being index I've seen shows the US is just barely making it in the top 10.
IMO the best thing about the american system is:

Spoiler

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,238,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, I won't say that Canada is a greater country than the USA because greatness or lack of it is purely subjective. I will though disagree that Canadians are better people than Americans. There are good and bad everywhere. I have met many Americans who were just the salt of the earth and better people just don't exist anywhere.
I don't know...

As a whole the Canadians I've met are so respectful/courteous/nice it's almost unbelievable. It just "feels" so much more pleasant up there.

The "salt of the earth" people in the U.S. may seem nice on the surface but they tend to be the religious/racist zealots that make living in any part of the rural Midwest so miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies