Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times

Advertisements

Do any of you guys (the above category) exist? If so, explain why you don't think the media is ideologically opposed to your conservative traditional values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I think most of the stations have a little balance thrown in as a token gesture. Like ABC. Charles Gibson may seem to lean left a little, but his reporting is astonishingly more middle of the road than the morning lefty version of Sean Hannity they have on ABC, Harry Smith.

Overally, I think CBS and ABC have gone to farther lengths than NBC or NPR to balance their program, although I still feel they tilt more left than right. At least they have a little dignity. As far as cable? MSNBC is the fartherest to one side with Fox running a very close second. CNN used to be very reliably leftist, but have become more reliable to report both sides of a story at least 20% of the time.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Do any of you guys (the above category) exist? If so, explain why you don't think the media is ideologically opposed to your conservative traditional values.
I don't think the media is liberal as it used to be. I think it is pro-war, pro-consumerism, pro-stupid, pro-hate, pro-profit, pro-conformity through division by diversion.

Fox definitely pro-war don't think, MSNBC definitely more liberal even with Tucker, but CNN, used to be more liberal but if one just looks at their prime time line up, Dobbs, Blitzer... pro war and pro war, build a wall, and host a lousy circus and call it a debate and if you have time before supper, nuke those damn __<insert country name here>__.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I think the media is mixed in objectivity and point of view, and I don't have a problem with it overall, contrary to the sentiments stated by many other posters.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think the media is mixed in objectivity and point of view, and I don't have a problem with it overall, contrary to the sentiments stated by many other posters.
I certainly don't have a problem with it at all. In fact I prefer that Fox and MSNBC host differing perspectives in their news, I think it is for everyones benefit. It isn't the media it is the fan club that attaches itself to a given perspective as though it were the word of God.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
I'm not conservative (pretty strident Libertarian) but I do definitely think that the mainstream media has a strong liberal tilt. As has been said, they make token gestures to present "both sides of the story", however, the prevailing themes and intimations are definitely to the left.

It's why Fox News (which is undeniably to the right) exists, and why it became such a juggernaut (preaching to its own choir) in such a short period of time. It's simply a yin to the yang of CNN, MSNBC, the networks, etc.

My only general sentiment about "broadcast media" is that it's stupid and I thank god that the internet is killing it.
Hopefully, in a generation or two, it will be completely dead and people will get their news and information via the immediate transfer of data that we all have available to us.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM

229 posts, read 170,552 times
Default Rush, Hannity, Ingram, O'reilly Think They Are Liberal? Lol!!!!!!!!

90 Percent Of The Talk Shows Are Strong Pro-bush Sychophants. Check The Radio And Tv Listings. The Corporate Pro Bush Media Is In Control, And Certainly Right-wing. The Few Outlets That Are Liberal, Like Air America, Are Miniscule In Comparison.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Most newspapers are VERY liberal leaning as are most prime time newcasters. I don't think it boils down to outlets but rather people presenting the news. We all know that Hollywood and it's media machine are both completely pro-liberal.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I think you are intelligent enough yourself to know they are tilted. You have eyes and ears, dont' you?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I read the NYT daily and agree the editorial page is liberal. LTE chosen are 90% from liberals. The NYT was beating the drums for war. Think Judith Miller. I believe the front page and international news is generally unbiased. Polls have shown that most people don't read the full article. I do - so I don't care which viewpoint is at the beginning of the article because usually both are given. I've veered away from watching all cable news shows because I can't stand the moderators constantly talking over guests and I usually don't learn anything that I have read, either from internet or newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies