Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Other bills, like the bills extending unemployment insurance, were not explicitly intended to be stimulus measures, but Firey argues that they were in effect stimulus measures because they borrowed and spent money now, rather than redirecting money the government already has.

“Some of this legislation can have multiple intentions,”

Well, yes if you include spending that wasn't apart of the stimulus bill and add it to the stimulus bill I am sure you could say we spent 10trillion on stimulus.

Smh pathetic.
Didn't Pelosi call it a stimulus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Wow, math fail. It's not 47% of the population, or even the population that can work (including the employed). It's 47% of the people polled (1,500, good sample) of the 7% unemployed didn't disagree with the statement "I’ve completely given up on looking for a job."

{snip}

Do people actually read their links?
Wasn't that what they said, 47% of those surveyed in the poll, not the entire population.

(7 percent said they “agree completely,” 7 percent “agree a lot,” 15 percent “agree somewhat,” and 18 percent “agree a little.”)

7+7+15+18 = 47

Do you act argumentative, just to play the part of a disagreeable person?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
They transfer to disability roles. The federal government spends more money each year on cash payments for disabled former workers than it spends on food stamps and welfare combined.

??? That usually requires months or years of applying and appealing, so what do they do in the meantime while they are unattached?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
According the that dingbat, if we could just get 80% of the population on Food Stamps and unemployment compensation, we'd be a unstoppable economic super power jugernaut.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

It is one thing for an elected official who is fighting to extend those benefits to correctly note that unemployment benefits can have a stimulative impact on the economy and say that spending is apart of the stimulus package since we always have some level of unemployment spending.

That's just dishonest. Again if you add up all the programs that weren't the stimulus onto the stimulus I guess you could say we had 10trillion in stimulus spending.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
trillions? on jobs and stimulus programs? There was only one stimulus program and it was 787billion and 1/3 of that spending was tax cuts.

The stimulus helped to end the recession and put us on a path of slow growth. A larger stimulus might have given use escape velocity to really ramp up the economy.

Also remember conservatives had their own competing stimulus plans when the President and the Democratic party were proposing their plans.

So again conservatives used to believe in jobs programs and stimulus programs. Now they no longer do.

Yet and still the conservative solution of more tax cuts for rich people isn't really anything.
There is no guarantee that people will want the jobs that come with a stimulus program ie building bridges, repairing roads, etc. I can easily see all these jobs going to foreign labor (both legal and illegal).

Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? That usually requires months or years of applying and appealing, so what do they do in the meantime while they are unattached?
Are you really so unaware of current trends in disability fillings, increases of the last few years? Disability is relatively easy to get and the abuses of this government program will astound you, or maybe not.

NPR, "Unfit for work, the startling rise of disability in America" by Chana Joffe-Walt. Go read it, grab all the statistics you want and then come back.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There is no guarantee that people will want the jobs that come with a stimulus program ie building bridges, repairing roads, etc. I can easily see all these jobs going to foreign labor (both legal and illegal).
Yes, the same conservative mantra, those people suck, they can't be helped so screw em. It is so predictable and boing.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM

155 posts, read 89,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
47% of 7 percent is what we're talking about or slightly less than 3.5%.

That's not a lot of people. Also most of them are over the age of 50 while a significant number are married women with small children who's spouse works.
And when you add 7% and 3.5% you get the real unemployment rate of 10.5%.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM

115 posts, read 267,371 times
I completed a I.T. contract position on Dec 2013. And have been looking for employment since then. But I'm still not giving up. It has happened to me twice before, which I was out of work for 1 year, then about 3 years later, I was out of work for almost a 1 and a half. And that was between 2008-2012 time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies