Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Keystone doesn't make any sense , except to the Koch brothers who will bag a billion each annually if it goes through... They own the refinery in TX it is headed to.

Other points:

Jobs - it ads about 20 to this country
The unions don't think so and what about all of the enforcement types that will have to be hired to protect it from the environmental terrorists?

"Labor unions are beseeching senators to pass legislation that would approve the Keystone XL pipeline by circumventing a government review process that threatens to stretch into 2015. In a letter to senators today, five unions, the National Association of Manufacturers and the American Petroleum Institute say the bill is essential to free the pipeline from 'political limbo.'”

Fuel Fix » Unions raise heat on Senate to approve Keystone XL

"One of the nation's leading building trades unions is stepping up pressure on House Democrats who oppose the Keystone XL pipeline, calling on union members in 27 congressional districts to punish their representative in the midterm election. A letter distributed by the Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA) to the 27 districts calls for union members to make sure their representative "feels the power and the fury of LIUNA this November," The Hill reported. 'Your member of Congress is trying to destroy job opportunities for our LIUNA brothers and sisters,' read the letter signed by Terry O'Sullivan, the general president of LIUNA, and obtained by The Hill on Friday."

Union warns House Democrats of retaliation for opposing Keystone XL | Fox News

One of the unions directly:

Keystone XL Pipeline - Laborers' International Union of North America

Meanwhile Hillary remains silent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
It benefits the Canadians and the Koch's, and few others, certainly not the Americans that run the risk of the pipeline. I'm sure Canada will put clean up crews ready at a moments notice like BP was suppose to do in the gULF oh wait, there weren't any.

This pipe is all risk and no benefit for us..
I'm Canadian and I have serious doubts that it will benefit our country as much as everyone seems to think it will. The oil industry in general is boom and bust and once everything is set up they won't really need a lot of people to keep the oil flowing. It will keep our dollar high which will hurt manufacturing and meanwhile prices never go down... so it's not the majority that is benefitting anywhere. Just a handful of blue collar people driving trucks, some foreign workers they had to import in a hurry, and the oil tycoons... some of whom are actually Chinese. Our PM has whored out so much of Canada to China they might as well go ahead and annex the west.

And the ecological costs are high on both sides of the border... I'm opposed to the oil sands in general. $100 million of taxpayer money spent on propaganda alone is infuriating.

The good news is they're having a hard time getting their pipelines built both in the US and in Canada... I hope resistance stays strong down there because if it's built the climate is going to be seriously screwed.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I'm Canadian and I have serious doubts that it will benefit our country as much as everyone seems to think it will. The oil industry in general is boom and bust and once everything is set up they won't really need a lot of people to keep the oil flowing. It will keep our dollar high which will hurt manufacturing and meanwhile prices never go down... so it's not the majority that is benefitting anywhere. Just a handful of blue collar people driving trucks, some foreign workers they had to import in a hurry, and the oil tycoons... some of whom are actually Chinese. Our PM has whored out so much of Canada to China they might as well go ahead and annex the west.

And the ecological costs are high on both sides of the border... I'm opposed to the oil sands in general. $100 million of taxpayer money spent on propaganda alone is infuriating.

The good news is they're having a hard time getting their pipelines built both in the US and in Canada... I hope resistance stays strong down there because if it's built the climate is going to be seriously screwed.

As opossed to the trains that are now carrying the oil? Not sure how that works...

Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Just say NO Hilary. It's a no brainer. It does not benefit us in any way shape, or form.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
It should be approved, especially because of all the work it will create. Plus it isuch safer than transportation via rail.

Their is no such thing as a "permanent" construction job. What this, and every single infasteucture project creates is tens of thousands of high paying direct and indirect jobs that last 2-5 years. Then the workers move on to the next project.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
I'm not so much against the pipeline as I have no idea what the benefit is to the United States. A foreign company gets a less expensive route to refineries and export facilities in the Gulf of Mexico and a few hundred jobs get created, at best. In exchange unwilling farmers lose land to said forign company through eminant domain and we now get some of the dirtiest stuff on the planet over top of the biggest natural aquifer in the country.

There seems to be little benefit beyond somebody's profit margin.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Coming out against the Keystone pipeline should be a no brainer for all politicians and citizens.
Some facts.

The crude coming out of the Canadian tar sands is called "Dilbit"(Diluted Bitumen) and is too heavy to pump through a pipeline. It has to be thinned with a toxic brew of chemicals and thinners to allow it to be pumped.

The new route for the pipeline will take it over the Ogallala aquifer. This aquifer is the largest in the entire nation and supplies freshwater to 8 midwestern states.

The only use for this pipeline is to transport Canadian crude to Gulf State ports and refineries for export to other countries.
There is absolutely no benefit to the citizens of the US as far as increased fuel or lower gas prices. The only value is to the shareholders of the major oil companies and the Canadian oil cartels to lower their overhead in bringing their product to market.

Why would we even contemplate allowing a 2000 mile needle of cancer causing, pure poison to traverse the middle of our nation and pass over the nation's largest supply of pure water when there is absolutely no benefit to the American public?
Oh yeah, much better to ship it by train.

Which is what is happening. I know. Because I drive trains for BNSF.

Traversing above ground moving on rails over your aquifer 2000 miles to the refineries.

What happened to that train load of crude in Quebec? Oh yeah, it exploded and took out half the town.

But better that than the pipeline.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'm not so much against the pipeline as I have no idea what the benefit is to the United States. A foreign company gets a less expensive route to refineries and export facilities in the Gulf of Mexico and a few hundred jobs get created, at best. In exchange unwilling farmers lose land to said forign company through eminant domain and we now get some of the dirtiest stuff on the planet over top of the biggest natural aquifer in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Myths & Facts | Keystone XL Pipeline

Don't like the source, then provide fact's to debunk them all.

BTW, is this the only pipeline that pumps this type oil into the U.S.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes, that's all I have to say, because you are basing everything on the pipeline as 100% absoutly failing when you have no proof to back anything up?

How many other piplines carry sand tar currently up and running in the US?

This is from the WAPO...

Five takeaways from State Department’s review of the Keystone XL pipeline

Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Problem is, people have been lied to and believe this is American oil that helps our energy independence and will create thousands of permanent jobs.
Yeah, but shipping by rail is so much safer, right?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Welcome to America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies