Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
About 60% of minimum wage earners work in food service or retail. The push to increase the minimum wage by 30%-100% is encouraging more and more businesses to shed jobs in favor of self-service kiosks and automation. In their effort to get higher wages, they're hastening the elimination of these jobs entirely.

What are these low-skilled people supposed to do once computers and machines take their place? They can either compete for the minimum wage jobs that are left, or become more reliant on the government.
Then they are sure to remain democratic party voters in the future! A win-win for the parasite class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
They've had those for years in nicer places... like a Jack in the Box in Las Vegas.

When they dont work (because Lord knows how much corporate likes to pay to maintain and troubleshoot remote equipment) the local cashier still has to take the orders anyways. They can't tell you why 'you swiped' but it didnt work.

In ghetto areas, people will now simply steal the tableside order kiosk in order to get a free iPad. Geniuses, replacing a paper printed menu at Panera with an $800 iPad.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
They've had those for years in nicer places... like a Jack in the Box in Las Vegas.

When they dont work (because Lord knows how much corporate likes to pay to maintain and troubleshoot remote equipment) the local cashier still has to take the orders anyways. They can't tell you why 'you swiped' but it didnt work.

In ghetto areas, people will now simply steal the tableside order kiosk in order to get a free iPad. Geniuses, replacing a paper printed menu at Panera with an $800 iPad.
I don't think Panera operates in the "ghetto". We have posters from all over so everyone can help me out here but in my experience they're usually in more upscale to atleast "solidly good" areas.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Laugh at the protesters all you want, but you are gravely mistaken if you think your job is completely insulated from automation as well. Even jobs that require a high level of education will be automated in the future. The pharmacist occupation is on the verge of collapse. Almost 50% of hospitals in major cities now how automated drug dispensing machines that can perform the same task as a pharmacist with 99.9% accuracy. Medco's automated pharmacy has already filled its 500 millionth prescription. Hospitals and pharmacies are starting to realize they don't need highly paid pharmacists anymore, and just 1 or 2 on staff which is only required because of law, while machines can fill all prescriptions without getting tired.

Even highly respected professions such as surgeon/physician will be automated in the future. The general public has no idea just how advanced machine vision and learning are these days and many surgeries will be performed quicker, faster, and better by a machine than a human, error prone physician. Robots that can even perform surgery--opps looks like we'll be sending even a decent amount of physicians to the unemployment line in the future once hospital administrators realize they can save millions in salary in benefits by equipping themselves with just a few machines that can perform surgery and only need 1 or 2 human physicians for simple oversight.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm still worried about your home life Mircea.
You should be more worried about finances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Panera is like a cafeteria anyway, yet OP takes glee in others misfortunes.
What kind of imbecilic moron doesn't devote at least 5 minutes each week searching the internet to read publications and professional journals about the industry or sector of the economy in which they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
I haven't seen an iPad flipping burgers yet lol
That's because there's a machine that does that.

Lol

Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

Quote:
Some people simply think that flipping burgers in for 8 hours is just fun and requires no effort. Hilarious.
It is fun and requires no effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is automation, its coming one way or another and is going to destroy the low wage jobs.
So, you're a Conservative who opposes progress.....who would have guessed.

If you cannot adapt to change, then go sit in a corner somewhere and pout, while the restivus have a good time.

Quote:
People like Mircea are all excited about it "showing them" without thinking about whats going to occur.
And what is going to take place? Nothing.

Quote:
Its a bit sociopathic to not understand that these are in many cases people working harder then the average......and be thrilled by them being "showed what reality is"...that their hard work has no value.
Their feces has no value, either. What of it?

A person's self-worth or value has no bearing on the value of the labor they can provide, but then Liberals cannot recognize the difference, which is probably why they worship Hollywood morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, they'll get some of those trained chimpanzees you dream about.
Why?

Service dogs can do that.

Quote:
About 60% of minimum wage earners work in food service or retail. The push to increase the minimum wage by 30%-100% is encouraging more and more businesses to shed jobs in favor of self-service kiosks and automation. In their effort to get higher wages, they're hastening the elimination of these jobs entirely.
Well, that's what happens when you think you can violate the Laws of Economics and not suffer any punishment.

Quote:
What are these low-skilled people supposed to do once computers and machines take their place?
WWHHD?

What Would Homo Habilis Do?

When Homo Habilis ran out of food, do you think he sat around crying and waiting for government to step in and save him?

No, he moved to a place where food and water and shelter was more readily accessible and available.

So, how dumb are these low-skilled workers? Dumber than a half-ape with a small brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It's nice to see someone who still gets off on stomping on our mostly poorly paid workers!
Who says they are poorly paid?

People are poorly paid if and only if they are working below the Labor rates established in their Market.

But, hey, don't let facts get in the way...

Mircea

Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So, you're a Conservative who opposes progress.....who would have guessed.

If you cannot adapt to change, then go sit in a corner somewhere and pout, while the restivus have a good time.
Just exactly how far are you divorced from reality?

Nothing I have said indicates that I oppose progress. My entire work life revolves around moving the world forward, and I've said repeatedly that progress is coming and we should adapt to it.

As for being a conservative....LOL. I dont think most view me that way, although I am in certain specific ways.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of someone else?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
It's tile to take up a programming career.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If they raised the wages to 15 dollars at McDonald's then the face of their workers would just change as most would likely not have been hired over better skilled workers. If minimum wages is 15 then other will just demand and get higher wages and prices reflect it in end. The bottom is always the bottom.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:50 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Yeah, I can only imagine the long lines at restaurants and millions in lost revenue...
If it was easy, it would have happened already...
No, it is happening now because the technology to do this is maturing and becoming readily available in the market, and it's now becoming more advantageous for businesses to invest in this as economics may drive up the cost of labor. Businesses are in business to make money, not be social programs. Decisions are driven by the bottom line and numbers don't lie.

I imagine shorter lines, given that there are enough kiosks available. But the same goes for enough cashier available at any given time. As automation progresses, I predict orders will be delivered more accurately. As efficiency increases, I see revenues also going up as the labor cost of running a franchise drops with fewer bodies needed behind the counter.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
It's tile to take up a programming career.
You are underestimating just how advanced the latest cutting edge engineered machines really are. Machines and computers these days are quite capable of writing their own code and refining it. It isn't perfect yet, but in the future, machines won't even need a human programmer anymore to write code and fix bugs. Everyone seems to be in willful denial (probably due to fear) that the human race is becoming more and more obsolete for performing almost any task. In the future we will have to come to grips and accept 80 or 90% unemployment because everything will be automated. Nothing wrong with that, but a 40 hour work week may be a relic of the 20th century. What's wrong with a 10 hour work week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies