Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

The article's headline adds, "Can doctors do that?"

My question is, can doctors legally do anything else in cases like these?

In some cases (like this one), a C-section is medically safer than a vaginal birth, both for the mother and for the baby. The likelihood of one or both of them suffering serious injury, or even dying during the delivery, is higher during a vaginal birth than during a C-section.

That means that, out of the next 100 babies a doctor delivers under these conditions, injury or death will result in (2) cases if they are all done by C-section, but inujry or death will result in (15) cases if they are all done by vaginal delivery. Yes, I made up those numbers, but the lopsidedness of the statistics is accurate.

And the problem the doctor faces is (aside from not liking to have his patients die on him) is that after the 15 find themselves injured or dead, they can AND WILL sue the doctor for everything he owns. And the fact that the patient insisted on the vaginal delivery, will be ignored, and the doctor found guilty by a jury, once a John-Edward-type lawyer gets through with them.

If a doctor has a patient who is at much greater risk during a vaginal delivery than during a C-section, and the patient is nonetheless insisting on the vaginal delivery, what exactly is he supposed to do?

1.) If he does the C-section anyway, he gets sued (as this patient is suing).
2.) If he does NOT do the C-section, and the patient winds up injured or dead, he gets sued.
3.) If he decides to decline to help the patient and turn her over to another doctor, he gets sued for patient neglect.

What, exactly, is he supposed to do?

(My father was an obstetrician, and used to talk about this a lot, never mentioning patient's names or locations of course)

------------------------------------------------

Rinat Dray sues for forced C-section: Says doctors at Staten Island University Hospital performed the procedure against her will.

Woman Sues a New York Hospital for Forcing a C-Section. Can Doctors Do That?

by Jessica Grose

A New York woman, Rinat Dray, has filed suit against Staten Island University Hospital because she says doctors there forced her to have an unwanted cesarean section. According to the New York Times, Dray has had two C-sections prior to this pregnancy, and she wanted to give birth vaginally. After hours of labor, Dray says she was pressured into a C-section by doctors, who told Dray her uterus would rupture and that, if she didn’t submit to the procedure, “she would be committing the equivalent of child abuse and that her baby would be taken away from her.”
[MOD CUT/copyright violation]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-22-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM

BTW, in case you were wondering why obstetricians pay up to 30% of their incomes for malpractice insurance, even if they've never had a claim....

...now you know why.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:51 AM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Quote:
After hours of labor, Dray says she was pressured into a C-section by doctors,
who told Dray her uterus would rupture and that, if she didn’t submit to the
procedure, “she would be committing the equivalent of child abuse and that her
baby would be taken away from her.”
From only reading the quote provided above, I'm left with the impression/opinion that the hospital and the physican should be prosecuted. The woman was assaulted and threatened with the forced relocation of her child. Police state tactics by the hospital.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
If the baby or mother had died, the hospital would've been sued anyway. The doctors knew they were going to be sued no matter what.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM

What, exactly, should the doctor and hospital have done?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
If the child died or was permanently disabled as a result of refusing the c-section this is what should have happened.

Utah C-Section Mom Gets Probation - CBS News

I've had a couple of students who were permanently disabled by mothers making this choice. The one mother told me every time she looks at her child she hates herself and has been in and out of mental wards because of the depression. She says the only reason she has never committed suicide is because she has to take care of him. She said she has been terrified to make any decisions since. Talk about having to pay for a bad choice. The other one never said much about it other than to say what happened and that she'll never forgive herself.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If the child died or was permanently disabled as a result of refusing the c-section this is what should have happened.

Utah C-Section Mom Gets Probation - CBS News

I've had a couple of students who were permanently disabled by mothers making this choice. The one mother told me every time she looks at her child she hates herself and has been in and out of mental wards because of the depression. She says the only reason she has never committed suicide is because she has to take care of him. She said she has been terrified to make any decisions since. Talk about having to pay for a bad choice.
But it seldom is what happens.

Far more often, the doctor gets sued... and loses everything he owns.

Because the paitient refused to do what he STRONGLY advised, and repeated over and over, but did not actually bash the woman over the head with a club to make her obey. The jury then decided that the patient's injury was the doctor's fault.

What, exactly, should the doctor do?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Unless the adult has been adjudicated incompetent, they cannot have any procedures done without consent.

The woman actually has a pretty good claim.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The article's headline adds, "Can doctors do that?"

My question is, can doctors legally do anything else in cases like these?

In some cases (like this one), a C-section is medically safer than a vaginal birth, both for the mother and for the baby. The likelihood of one or both of them suffering serious injury, or even dying during the delivery, is higher during a vaginal birth than during a C-section.

That means that, out of the next 100 babies a doctor delivers under these conditions, injury or death will result in (2) cases if they are all done by C-section, but inujry or death will result in (15) cases if they are all done by vaginal delivery. Yes, I made up those numbers, but the lopsidedness of the statistics is accurate.

People are stupid, so there is times when doctors should make a decision.

Yet c-sections make hospitals a lot more money, and that can cause a bias.

I would allow doctors to override the patients wishes, but not protect said doctors from legal action (such as this case). If you force a person . . you better be willing to backup that decision in court. That would be a sort of counter incentive.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Unless the adult has been adjudicated incompetent, they cannot have any procedures done without consent.

The woman actually has a pretty good claim.
So the hosptial (and doctor) MUST perform a procedure that goes flatly against medical advice and has a pretty good chance of getting them sued for everything they own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies