Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Or, if you want a real answer instead of a biased liberal partisan's attempt to bash conservatives, it means placing limits on the absurd verdicts that are given out as punitive damages so that the cost of doing business isn't so high. What the biased liberal does is look at someone who got hurt and gets millions upon millions of dollars in damages as sticking it to those evil mean corporations, as evidenced by Fancy-Schmancy's post here. In reality, what those types of verdicts do is benefit a few individuals at the cost to everyone else. If one doctor has to pay out a gigantic sum of money, then the malpractice insurance of all doctors goes up, which drives up the cost of healthcare for everyone. But that reality doesn't fire up the emotions as much as cheering on the little guy for really sticking it to the rich guy. So the liberal will cheer on the little guy to get millions from a lawsuit, and then when that causes insurance rates to go up, the liberal will then blame the evil insurance companies for raising the rates.
The right of a citizen to seek redress for injury or damages is a constitutional guarantee. Those awards are determined by.........wait for it.........A jury of one's peers! this means The people! It's not the government. It's not one political party or another. IT'S THE PEOPLE!........who determine the damages and the justifiable awards.

Republicans would like to rescind that constitutional guarantee and tie the people's hands behind their back and predetermine awards to, as you stated, "Lower the cost of doing business".

Thanks for exposing the real agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
But if Johnny Reb from down at the seed-feed store hears he has to share drinking fountains with coloreds,

i have lived in the deep south since 1963, I have never seen a colored only water fountain or colored only anything. not saying it did not happen in some of the smaller rural towns, but i bet 90% of the deep south, it didn't happen

Last edited by brownbagg; 05-25-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 12:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You've highlighted the biggest challenge I have with the tea party.
For the tea party, it's always how the rest of the nation is shredding the constitution. They proclaim as if they are the only authorities who actually understand what the constitution means and want that meaning implemented throughout all society.
There's a problem with that platform though..........You immediately lose your audience with that mindset.

You see, nobody, not even the standard conservative republican is going to select the tea party to interpret what the constitution means and allow their decisions to apply to the entire nation. No more so than you or any TPer would accept the liberals from interpreting the constitution and applying it to the nation as a whole.

The founding fathers understood that and knew that one sentence in the constitution can be interpreted a hundred different ways depending on the agenda one has. Call it constitutional rose colored glasses, if you will. That's why they set up a court comprised of the very best legal minds in the nation from all political persuasions. Their opinion and their opinion only, determines what the constitution means and how it's applied by law, according to the dictates of our founders.

I for one would hate to think what our country would be like if the tea party set up a constitution review committee to determine what the constitution means and had the power to apply their decisions to law. I would be just as appalled if a coalition of hard left liberals were to do the same. Both factions have political agendas and both sides would color their decisions based on their agenda.

So when you say "The bill of rights has been shredded" I must gather that you think you are an authority of what the constitution really means and are competent to judge the shredding of it. The most common complaint by TPers is that very same "Constitution shredded". So I must gather that all TPers are constitutional authorities or at least consider themselves as such. A very dubious stance to try and peddle to the general public.

I can tell you for fact that nobody from any side of the isle is buying that and nobody is ever going to contemplate replacing the SCOTUS with a group of TPers in deciding what, exactly is, or is not, constitutional.

It is shameful, you as a US citizen in the land of the free home of the brave, justify, promote and approve of the shredding of the bill of rights, that has taken place over the last 100 years.

By law and not an amendment.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:47 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,680 times
If you don't like our laws then move elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is shameful, you as a US citizen in the land of the free home of the brave, justify, promote and approve of the shredding of the bill of rights, that has taken place over the last 100 years.

By law and not an amendment.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Liberals should love the Tea Party. If it destroys Republicans it opens up the field for more Democrats.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Liberals should love the Tea Party. If it destroys Republicans it opens up the field for more Democrats.

Reagan, a former Democrat, decreed his party had left him. In the process of changing parties, he brought a lot of Progressive controlling democrats with him.

Time to weed those out of the party of freedom and liberty for ALL, not just the chosen.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,680 times
Oops. Watch out Republican Party: purges are coming. Too bad Stalin's not alive to see that. He'd be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Reagan, a former Democrat, decreed his party had left him. In the process of changing parties, he brought a lot of Progressive controlling democrats with him.

Time to weed those out of the party of freedom and liberty for ALL, not just the chosen.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
I think they prove most of all that rich people can also be extremely stupid.

The first thing Obama did when he took office was give huge tax breaks to big and small businesses alike... and they protested taxes being too high.

They just like being mad but more than that they want everyone to pity the rich.
I'll save my pity for the people who deserve it.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I think they prove most of all that rich people can also be extremely stupid.

The first thing Obama did when he took office was give huge tax breaks to big and small businesses alike... and they protested taxes being too high.

They just like being mad but more than that they want everyone to pity the rich.
I'll save my pity for the people who deserve it.
And all I've been hearing all the last 6 years from the tea party is how Obama has raised taxes. In fact, to hear them tell it, their only reason for being is to lower taxes.

Last edited by mohawkx; 05-25-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Why should liberals hate the TP? They nominate wackadoodle candidates and sabotage their otherwise reasonable chance of having a Republican elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies