Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times

Advertisements

I'm against honoring any religion in the US government. Peoples religions should be respected... but don't these guys have anything better to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
In a nutshell, this bill is the "hate crime legislation" for Christians. That is fine since all the lefties seem to want to have hate crime legislations passed for anyone they feel is oppressed. So this actually isn't a waste of time, it is a necessary thing in this day and age. If you are going to do it for one group, you have to do it for another.
I didn't realize that people were being denied jobs or murdered for being Christian.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Where did I say that?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Here's what the bill encompassed as far as "recognizing the importance of Christianity"

Quote:
Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.
Source

This is a worthless bill. It really is.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
In the 2000 Census, the reported percentage of Christians (all denominations) is approximately >76.5%.

Why would a bill like this be necessary unless it was just pandering for the sake of pandering?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:55 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,627 times
Quote:
In a nutshell, this bill is the "hate crime legislation" for Christians. That is fine since all the lefties seem to want to have hate crime legislations passed for anyone they feel is oppressed. So this actually isn't a waste of time, it is a necessary thing in this day and age. If you are going to do it for one group, you have to do it for another.
So christians are being oppressed during the holidays by the government? Remember, when some store has a “happy holidays” message instead of "merry christmas", that is not the governments doing.

Quote:
The thing is, I though that Freedom of Religion was guaranteed in the constitution and that the foolishly misinterpreted "establishment clause" of the First Amendment prohibits laws against the free exercise of religion. So I would think that these 9 Democrats who voted against this, actually voted against the Constitution.
You seem to be the one misinterpreting the “establishment clause”. The Establishment Clause is supposed to prevent the government from endorsing or preferring a religious belief over other beliefs or over no beliefs. It prevents government, not you, from practicing religious beliefs. This resolution seems to show a preference for christianity and I could see where the 9 who voted are voting FOR the Constitution.

Quote:
The problem is not with this legislation, but rather with idiot organizations like the ACLU that seek to discriminate against Christian organizations. Makes bills such as this necessary.
You should read a lot of anti-discrimination laws that actually exclude religious organizations. So many christian organizations have a free pass to discriminate against others and still get some government funding.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
IF all of the bills you referred to are equal in everything except religion, then this is wrong. I am curious as to what the other bills were. Why didn't they just lump all of them in to a bill that respected religious holidays? I think Degette is christian, btw.

I'm not sure why they didn't lump them all into one bill. Would have saved time and money though, but we are talking about our government.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Why should anyone care what a group of people that have a single digit approval percentage think about anything?

I do realize the importance of Christmas though, for big business to make its best profits it requires a lot of people shopping for gifts. Outside of that, true Christians should be far more focused on Easter as Christmas is a non biblical holiday that the Roman church turned into a "Christian" holiday by accepting mostly pagan rituals and trying to tie it to Christianity. While I do enjoy Christmas time, I recognize the fact that it is not biblical at all, so to me its much like any other holiday.

For our govt to be wasting time on stuff like this while our country faces dozens of huge challenges is just further proof that they are more interested in pandering to emotions than dealing with what they should be dealing with.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Where are you getting the information that all 9 democrats voted because of those 6 points? You keep referring to it in your posts but you also keep repeating the line you want to know why they voted no? So where is the information from the dems that specifically state they voted “No” because of those 6 points? Is there any link or is it just your guess or opinion?

There are no other points. Why else would they vote no on this resolution other than they disagree with what was written. The 6 points are what they vote on, or, should have voted on. The resolution isn't a very long one, it's actually quite simple.

And you are right, I do want to know why they voted no on this resolution when they voted yes on the other two. I believe it's a very fair question to ask and since I won't get any responses from the reprepesentatives directly, I put it up here to hear other people's opinions. Unfortunately, most people's opinions posted here don't answer this question and dance around it.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
What does it matter really...it could just as easily apply to this one. So apparently they go through this stupid charade every year??

Our tax dollars hard at work.

Uh, no it can't easily apply to this one. These are two total separate resolutions. One of the main differences is two similiar resolutions for two other religions was approved without any no votes. This one, 9 people chose to have an issue with this for some reason or another. These 9 people are all from the same political party. They knew this would pass overwhelmingly, yet still voted no. Hey, I give them credit for being true to their feelings. However, if they felt that this wouldn't offend people, they are very stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies