Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’

A Republican congressman from Louisiana this week blasted an environmental activist who submitted photos of leaking oil pipes that had been repaired with garbage bags and duct tape.

At a Tuesday hearing of the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs, Noah Matson, vice president of Defenders of Wildlife, said that existing one-paragraph regulations were inadequate for protecting the National Wildlife Refuge System.

GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’
I don't even have to check to know where that particular GOP lawmaker got a fair portion of his campaign funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Not all the information is available. Was this a short term fix to help with a leak until a repair/ clean up team could be sent in to make a better repair? Or was this a Bandaid fix left forgotten? Some people never miss a chance for a photo op, to blow something completely out of proportion.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You know the dems are getting desperate when they "report" on things like this!

They have to counter, I found out about it in the newspaper!"

They report, you deride.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
My favorite was Rep. Carolyn McCarthy who had proposed legislation to ban (among other things) 'barrel shrouds' from guns. When asked what a barrel shroud was, she said it was a 'shoulder thing that goes up.'

When you don't know what the words you are saying even mean, it's better to shut up.

I didn't read the link due to ads, but I'm guessing that the duct tape was a temporary emergency fix of a minor leak, until they could get a crew out to properly fix it. It's not in the oil company's interest to have their product leaking out onto the ground.

I suppose she thinks a "lower receiver" is a guy who comes out of the backfield to catch passes?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 AM

409 posts, read 511,900 times
America: Falling apart and barely held together with duct tape...

Old 05-24-2014, 07:37 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have seen duct tap hold race car bodies together at speeds over 200 miles per hour. heck watch the 78(?) daytona 500 and you will see that late in the race bobby allisons front bumper was held in place on the race car with duct tape.
Back in the 70-80's we didn't call it duct tape, we called it 200 MPH tape....because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies