Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

I remember a very smart and brave man with integrity, that had a sign on his desk saying, "The Buck Stops Here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
The GOP is trying to cover it's tracks, for causing the backlogs at the VA during the 8 years of Bush II, and for being responsible for a 50% increase in the number of daily visit requests at the VA as the result of the Bush II/Cheney crimes against humanity war in Iraq and the Afgan war. What we have in the above remarks is a disregard for due process and rights of Americans. Actions which are anti-American ... said to be carried out in the name of America.
Everyone needs to stop the blame game. It only continues to cover the problems which belong not to one party or the other, but to the ineptness of a big and unwieldly government -- which can't manage anything well, as we clearly see in the PO, Amtrak, Obamacare, NSA, IRS, VA ... you name it. If it's government run, it's struggling.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM

262 posts, read 155,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Everyone needs to stop the blame game. It only continues to cover the problems which belong not to one party or the other, but to the ineptness of a big and unwieldly government -- which can't manage anything well, as we clearly see in the PO, Amtrak, Obamacare, NSA, IRS, VA ... you name it. If it's government run, it's struggling.
It's more than "struggling." It is a disaster.

In the Arabian horse breeding world (I have been breeding these beautiful, fabulous equines for 54 years) we have a saying that fits anything the government tries to do:

"A committee (substitute government here) was formed to create the Arabian horse and the results came back in the form of a camel." Perhaps the meaning of this will not hit anyone unfamiliar with the Arabian horse between the eyes as it does those of us who are dedicated to the Arabian-horse breed, but in short the Arabian horse is the oldest equine breed in the world today that has created all light-horse riding breeds and is the most beautiful of all equines the world has ever created in comparison to the camel that has been around for centuries but when compared to the Arabian horse is 100% opposite in appearance as far as beauty, grace and elegance goes.

I cannot think of a single project the government has done right with the exception of our Military. But will also add here that the Military only functions correctly when we have a "Commander-in-Chief" (US President) that is smart enough to listen to his Military Commanders and not so dumb as to think he knows better than those that do.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
It's more than "struggling." It is a disaster.

In the Arabian horse breeding world (I have been breeding these beautiful, fabulous equines for 54 years) we have a saying that fits anything the government tries to do:

"A committee (substitute government here) was formed to create the Arabian horse and the results came back in the form of a camel." Perhaps the meaning of this will not hit anyone unfamiliar with the Arabian horse between the eyes as it does those of us who are dedicated to the Arabian-horse breed, but in short the Arabian horse is the oldest equine breed in the world today that has created all light-horse riding breeds and is the most beautiful of all equines the world has ever created in comparison to the camel that has been around for centuries but when compared to the Arabian horse is 100% opposite in appearance as far as beauty, grace and elegance goes.

I cannot think of a single project the government has done right with the exception of our Military. But will also add here that the Military only functions correctly when we have a "Commander-in-Chief" (US President) that is smart enough to listen to his Military Commanders and not so dumb as to think he knows better than those that do.
I think I get what you're saying.

Everything the government has ever done or is doing is wrong except the military. Except that right now because you don't like the current president and he is the commander in chief, even the military is messed up right now.

Did I get that right?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I think I get what you're saying.

Everything the government has ever done or is doing is wrong except the military. Except that right now because you don't like the current president and he is the commander in chief, even the military is messed up right now.

Did I get that right?
It's not all about "Obama".

Look at government programs going back decades if you wish.
None have solved the problems they started out to fix.
They all turned into expensive, bloated messes that eventually implode.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Exactly right. The Federal Government has proved it is totally incompetent in all the areas that it tries to move into that are not within the parameters laid out within the Constitution.

As for Obama screwing up everything he touches including the Military...no one in their right mind would question that.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
Exactly right. The Federal Government has proved it is totally incompetent in all the areas that it tries to move into that are not within the parameters laid out within the Constitution.

As for Obama screwing up everything he touches including the Military...no one in their right mind would question that.
Maybe they didn't notice the rash of firings, retirements and reassignments of the military Generals.
All got replaced by "yes men".

Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I respectfully disagree with that analysis.

Social Security works well for seniors and will continue to work well, with a third major tweaking, to accommodate the changes in society. It provides the very valuable function of providing seniors some independence from their children so the children aren't burdened with caring for their seniors during their most productive years. They can concentrating on raising their children and adding to the family wealth without having it siphoned off by their seniors.

Medicare is another program with great benefits. Most serious illness in society comes from people who are 65 and older. The cost of medical care for all would be on a much larger scale more expensive if seniors 65 and older were included in the overall private insurance pool that determined the average person's rate. Also, seniors would be dying in the streets if they couldn't get insurance. That would be your grandmother and grandfather, for some.

VA is another success story. Most people on this thread who are bashing the VA have never even had the occasion to use it. I have used the VA since 1971 in different parts of the country. I have had the most serious medical, surgical procedures one can have. The VA has revolutionized the treatment of severe trauma and nobody does it better than the VA. I can honestly say that the VA has always been first rate with my procedures and care. Much better than the average medicare doctor by comparison. I know that without their care, I'd be dead long ago.

Food stamps is another government program that works. You can argue the merits or faults of the program but it is a commitment by the nation as a whole that we will not have our citizens starving in the streets. This is a good thing and the mark of an advanced and compassionate society.

This is not to say there isn't problems than can't be fixed.

IMO: It is congress and their addiction to politics that taints the integrity of all government programs.
We the people elect the individuals who speak for us in the Congress.

As Pogo said it so well......."We have met the enemy and it is Us"

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Social Security works well for seniors and will continue to work well, with a third major tweaking, to accommodate the changes in society. It provides the very valuable function of providing seniors some independence from their children so the children aren't burdened with caring for their seniors during their most productive years. They can concentrating on raising their children and adding to the family wealth without having it siphoned off by their seniors.
Wrong! Social Security...as originally set up...would have worked and stayed financially solvent had "government" not gone in and stole the funds, replacing same with I.O.U.'s so that that "restricted" account was robbed and could not earn the interest to keep it lucrative. Had those same people who paid into SS paid, instead, into their own individual retirement account with the restriction it could not have anything withdrawn, retirement funding would have been far more toward providing a comfortable living than today's SS which will go bankrupt in the not too distant future if not rescues.

Quote:
Medicare is another program with great benefits. Most serious illness in society comes from people who are 65 and older. The cost of medical care for all would be on a much larger scale more expensive if seniors 65 and older were included in the overall private insurance pool that determined the average person's rate. Also, seniors would be dying in the streets if they couldn't get insurance. That would be your grandmother and grandfather, for some.
Same thing...robbed by politicians and will go bankrupt.

Quote:
VA is another success story. Most people on this thread who are bashing the VA have never even had the occasion to use it. I have used the VA since 1971 in different parts of the country. I have had the most serious medical, surgical procedures one can have. The VA has revolutionized the treatment of severe trauma and nobody does it better than the VA. I can honestly say that the VA has always been first rate with my procedures and care. Much better than the average medicare doctor by comparison. I know that without their care, I'd be dead long ago.
The cost of VA and the corruptness is atrocious. You may have benefited but the corruption is rampant and getting worse by the day.

Quote:
Food stamps is another government program that works. You can argue the merits or faults of the program but it is a commitment by the nation as a whole that we will not have our citizens starving in the streets. This is a good thing and the mark of an advanced and compassionate society.
No, "federal" food stamps have contributed greatly to destroying people's ability to take responsibility for themselves. Any and all welfare should be at the local level where those administering the programs also know the people. Otherwise, again, federal corruption is rampant and such one-size-fits-all federal programs screws up society.

Quote:

IMO: It is congress and their addiction to politics that taints the integrity of all government programs.

On this last point, we agree.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

They don't work well and are all going broke.
No the citizens aren't starving. If anything we're feeding them too much because we have an obesity problem.

Over $1 trillion a year in means tested programs. And that is growing 20% per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies