Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Agreed. It's really a shame how little these racists value human life.
I do not have to put my nose in a garbage can to know it smells.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not have to put my nose in a garbage can to know it smells.
?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
It's a shame that a human died, but I wonder how many other young (and probably black) young men have died as a result of having terrible role models like Tupac to look up to ? Impressionable kids see someone like him and his messages of violence and rebellion as being the answer and they go down the same destructive path.

Until the black community starts getting more positive role models, like Martin Luther King and President Obama and his family, they are going to continue to find young black boys and girls dead in the streets because they think that is the way life should be. People like Tupac are a blight on the face of African American Culture everywhere, and I don't mourn his passing at all.

Don

Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Until the black community starts getting more positive role models, like Martin Luther King and President Obama and his family, they are going to continue to find young black boys and girls dead in the streets because they think that is the way life should be.
Ah, there are millions of positive role models in the African American community and one need not rise to the once in a life time (or several life times) level of a Martin Luther King. But all of those role models mean very little in a culture that glorifies rank individualism, unbridled greed and the acquisition of wealth which contrary to popular misconception are the modi vivendi that underly the worst aspects of Hip Hop, which is nothing more than John Gault gone musically urban.

The Tupacs are not just products of the African American community but he was also shaped by the national culture as well. There is no magical glass bubble lying over the African American community that keeps the dominant culture from passing on its cultural pathogens.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:58 PM

641 posts, read 558,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It's a shame that a human died, but I wonder how many other young (and probably black) young men have died as a result of having terrible role models like Tupac to look up to ? Impressionable kids see someone like him and his messages of violence and rebellion as being the answer and they go down the same destructive path.

Until the black community starts getting more positive role models, like Martin Luther King and President Obama and his family, they are going to continue to find young black boys and girls dead in the streets because they think that is the way life should be. People like Tupac are a blight on the face of African American Culture everywhere, and I don't mourn his passing at all.

Don
I don't completely disagree, but I don't completely agree either. To write him off as "a blight" is to make it a black-and-white issue, as if he was either all good or all bad. Granted, he was more bad than most people, but he wasn't 100% bad. Calling him a blight is going too far. He was a human being; a human being who chose the wrong path over and over again, but still a human being.

And if you listen to his music, you'll hear that the guy just had "it." Whatever "it" is, he had it. The guy just sounded like royalty when he rapped.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Tupacs last words were "a nut, a nut, my kingdom for a nut".

Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM

491 posts, read 753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Agreed. It's really a shame how little these racists value human life.
Lucario, where was the racist remark?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, there are millions of positive role models in the African American community and one need not rise to the once in a life time (or several life times) level of a Martin Luther King. But all of those role models mean very little in a culture that glorifies rank individualism, unbridled greed and the acquisition of wealth which contrary to popular misconception are the modi vivendi that underly the worst aspects of Hip Hop, which is nothing more than John Gault gone musically urban.

The Tupacs are not just products of the African American community but he was also shaped by the national culture as well. There is no magical glass bubble lying over the African American community that keeps the dominant culture from passing on its cultural pathogens.

True. People choose their role models, kids have a wide variety from which to choose. Especially today -- they have a black president who I might not especially admire because I don't admire many democrats but he's successful all the same -- they could pick him to look up to.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
He was real to the bitter end.

Not many people can say that.
And now he's real dead. He promoted violence and it got him.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
A real thug which is words are typical of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies