Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 AM

103 posts, read 135,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Not to mention that Breaking Bad, featuring a white murderer drug kingpin as hero/antihero is considered by many to be the best TV series of all time.
Meanwhile, 98% of people saying such drivel never gave The Wire a chance because it had too many black people on it - even the much-maligned second season.

Moderator cut: removed orphaned quote

Last edited by Marka; 05-30-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 AM

12,547 posts, read 10,004,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Not to mention that Breaking Bad, featuring a white murderer drug kingpin as hero/antihero is considered by many to be the best TV series of all time.
But this is TV - not real life. No one takes it as a representation of real life. Guys like Tupac influence real life people who don't have men in their lives showing them how to contribute to society in a positive way. Tupac was a role model to many black youths. Cars, clothes, admiration, money and women - he had everything these kids want in life...and getting into the thug life could get them there.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 AM

103 posts, read 135,825 times

My 8th grade heart is breaking. Look at Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Ice Cube and tell me that 2Pac and Biggie couldn't have grown and matured and still been here. Pac's biggest problem was his arrogance, but since when has that NOT been a trait of young men?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,756,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
My dad has all those things, and he works in security. Well, he has *a* woman - my mother - but you get the idea. (Note to Millenials: if you ever want to know when to stop taking a conservative seriously - and "never start" is not an acceptable answer, although it's a very good one - it's when s/he starts talking about black youth as if s/he actually gives a fiddler's fart about 'em.)

This might shock you, eddiehaskell, considering your low opinion of black people, but you know how white people are able to watch TV and listen to music and separate fact from fiction? Black people can do that, too. You know...almost like we're real people.
Almost.......

Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 AM

641 posts, read 560,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Or even Ice Cube, who came up in a working-class, two-parent home (like mine).
Yep...

Cube grew up in Woodland Hills, and both of his parents worked at UCLA.

He's hardly from the hood.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,941,768 times
Male role models who empower people: Neil de Grasse Tyson, Dr. Cornell West, Nelson Mandela, Bob Marley, Martin Luther King, Jr., Tom Joyner, and countless others who have spent their lives helping, educating, and promoting non-violence. I know nothing about Tupak, but that picture alone screams violence and anger. And I suspect that the young men of today who emulate him are ensuring the status quo.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
But this is TV - not real life. No one takes it as a representation of real life. Guys like Tupac influence real life people who don't have men in their lives showing them how to contribute to society in a positive way. Tupac was a role model to many black youths. Cars, clothes, admiration, money and women - he had everything these kids want in life...and getting into the thug life could get them there.
It's wrong to say they don't have positive role models to choose from -- even if they want to look for celebrities instead of politicians and businessmen. There are the sports stars -- Michael Strahan for example, there are the Holleywood stars -- Denzel Washington for example.

There are all kinds of good black role models -- they're everywhere if you look.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 AM

12,547 posts, read 10,004,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's wrong to say they don't have positive role models to choose from -- even if they want to look for celebrities instead of politicians and businessmen. There are the sports stars -- Michael Strahan for example, there are the Holleywood stars -- Denzel Washington for example.

There are all kinds of good black role models -- they're everywhere if you look.
Yes, those people exist, but they don't exactly cancel out the immense popularity of Tupac and gangster rap in general. Denzel is a great actor, but he doesn't really tell a 13 yr old how to be tough, get respect, make easy money and gain admiration from peers.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I don't think idolizing poor role models is specific to any one race...if it was then how does one explain Paris,Lindsay,Milley or the amazing rise of the Kardashians???
And Bieber -- but I think there is something different in that -- something more in the enjoyment people find in watching rich idiots self-destruct. I actually don't know a single person who admires any of them.

Also for some reason the media does push this -- you can't turn around without evening news reporting on the Kardashian bimbos and their marriages and divorces as though they're newsworthy in any way.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yes, those people exist, but they don't exactly cancel out the immense popularity of Tupac and gangster rap in general. Denzel is a great actor, but he doesn't really tell a 13 yr old how to be tough, get respect, make easy money and gain admiration from peers.
But why not? Why are kids being raised to think they can only admire thuggish types over men who look great in suits and have real talent?

There really are all kinds of black role models, what makes them not want to see Denzel Washington as someone to emulate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies