Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yep- what were they thinking?

I paid for the college (one left in undergrad, one entering med school) for all of my kids. I demanded that I approve of their majors before agreeing to pay for their education. My youngest is studying education (a noble, yet not very profitable venture). I agreed to fund his education as long as he agreed to go to welding school for a year after graduation so that he could work in the oil fields during his "summers off".

Education is an investment- invest wisely and it is worth the price. Invest poorly and it is not worth the cost. What kind of idiot parent would encourage a kid to get a degree in a worthless major?
Good luck with that oil field plan. You do realize teachers stop working later and start working earlier than the students, and have to take classes over the summer to stay current and try to avoid getting laid off every year, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Good luck with that oil field plan. You do realize teachers stop working later and start working earlier than the students, and have to take classes over the summer to stay current and try to avoid getting laid off every year, right?
Hawkeye's pretty smart but he has this thing about teachers only working "half the year".

Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Hawaiian by heart -- Taxes are at historic lows. You won't hear that much, but it is true.

Ronald Reagan when gov. of CA started the 'make people pay for state colleges' movement; prior to that any kid in California who qualified got to go for free. Other states looked at what he did and said 'we can make our schools into cash cows too'. This started the whole 'our college is fancier than your college' game as a way to entice students to pay more and more.

Folks who think college costs are the same as when they worked their way through as a gas pump jockey are fooling themselves...no part time job would pay enough to put a kid through college these days. Maybe if we raise the minimum wage, though.

I'd love to know how many of the 'liberal arts are a waste of time' types work for bosses with degrees in those fields. Quite a few, I'm betting. It's less Dunning-Kruger and more sour grapes.

My kid just finished her first 2 degrees at a state school in 3 years (saving us quite a bit) and will be going on to get her Master's. She will probably join the military afterwards.
Tuition costs for the students and their families have risen exponentially. At public colleges and universities, the story is mostly that states have cut higher education funding, and schools are making up for it by increasing tuition for students. Private colleges have seen loss of donors. The burden has shifted so dramatically to the students that many lower, and middle class families cannot afford college without loans. Tuition and fees at a public school in my state costs 40K-50K, double that with room and board. The cost of a college degree has increased 12 fold in the past 30 years.

We can't keep raising the bar on our young people if we want to have a thriving economy. Corporations have sent most of working class jobs overseas, so we demanded young people go to college, and get educated. Now that many college graduates can't find jobs people have decided to raise the bar again, and deride them for graduating with any major that isn't STEM. Every student does not have the aptitude for STEM, and if that's the only major choice we will simply end up with a glut of STEM graduates who still can't find work.

We cannot make a college degree the new high school diploma if we are not willing to subsidize it. We are destroying our own economy. We have a generation saddled with loans. Money we need them to spend supporting the economy by buying houses, cars, goods, services, etc. we will be sent to support the ever increasing loan balance since many have high interest rates that can never be refinanced.

Last edited by detshen; 05-25-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hawkeye's pretty smart but he has this thing about teachers only working "half the year".
My mother in law is 8/9th grace school teacher. Yes agree the hours aren't great.

But she does get about 10 weeks off in summer. Plus spring and winter break. So at least 12 weeks off.

If u look at some salaries especially those with 15 plus years( plus varying masters degrees). Pushing around 90-100k with 3 months off.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:16 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
My mother in law is 8/9th grace school teacher. Yes agree the hours aren't great.

But she does get about 10 weeks off in summer. Plus spring and winter break. So at least 12 weeks off.

If u look at some salaries especially those with 15 plus years( plus varying masters degrees). Pushing around 90-100k with 3 months off.
Systems vary as to length of summer breaks.

Ours is usually 7 weeks.

Where are you that classroom teachers are getting 100K?
Not Administrators, not teachers who coach a major sport, but classroom based? And what's the median salary for all similarly certificated individuals?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:05 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the most shocking stat from that article is that college costs have shot up 30% in the past five years. That is just insane and completely unsustainable.
We budgeted 18,000 a year for state college. The cost went up dramatically when they had to move out of dorms. This we did not budget for. And they really ********* over because you have to pay rent for the summer months as well.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They have the whole summer off, they get a month off at Christmas, two weeks off for spring break, they don't work weekends, they get lots of holidays off.

Sure they have to be to work by 7:30 or 8 am, and they get out around 2:30 pm to 3pm -- but other people have to be into work by 5 am, or they have to work from 8am to 6 pm, and they get no long summer vacation -- maybe 2 weeks if they're lucky.

I know teachers who absolutely love their schedules. They take very nice trips in the summer and for the winter and spring break, they love being home when their kids are home -- they wouldn't trade their schedules with anyone's.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They have the whole summer off, they get a month off at Christmas, two weeks off for spring break, they don't work weekends, they get lots of holidays off.

Sure they have to be to work by 7:30 or 8 am, and they get out around 2:30 pm to 3pm -- but other people have to be into work by 5 am, or they have to work from 8am to 6 pm, and they get no long summer vacation -- maybe 2 weeks if they're lucky.

I know teachers who absolutely love their schedules. They take very nice trips in the summer and for the winter and spring break, they love being home when their kids are home -- they wouldn't trade their schedules with anyone's.
Wow, my daughter and sister would love that schedule lol Where do you live where the kids get a month off for christmas and 2 weeks off for spring break. And yes, teachers do work weekends and even evenings. They teach during the day and grade papers, read book reports, tutor the kids who need help etc after school has ended. They also have to plan for the next day..... they have meetings, parent conferences. They spend many evenings there for dances, ice cream socials and so on. A teachers day doesn't end when school ends. Personally, I would rather work in an office 8 to 6 with 2 weeks off then to teach kids. I think teaching is one of the hardest jobs there is and they get no respect.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Crap happens.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Society and the high schools push the "College or Mickey D's" on young people. Can't say it isn't somewhat true, anyone I know who didn't go to college is always struggling with money and living on government entitlements. You absolutely need some kind of education after high school whether it's college or a skilled trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies