Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And why is that?
You trying to take the wind out of his sails, or the sales out of his wind?

Maybe he's protecting his illegal pot farm.

Please state your intentions before asking such penetrating questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
The Feds stole the seeds

The DEA has offered a wide variety of explanations to Kentucky officials perplexed at the seizure. "They're interpreting the law a hundred different ways," Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer (R) told HuffPost. "The only way they're not interpreting it is the way it actually reads."

Comer said that he met with Kentucky Sens. Mitch McConnell (R) and Rand Paul (R) this past weekend and relayed to them the DEA's claim that it was simply following the intent of the recently passed farm bill, which includes a passage championed by McConnell that allows colleges and state departments of agriculture to cultivate hemp for research purposes.

****Late Tuesday night, the DEA agreed to issue a permit, and release the 250 pounds of Italian hemp seeds being held by the U.S. Customs Service, Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer told the Lexington Herald-Leader."It looks like we've won this round," Comer said in a statement. "The DEA completely reversed course from this morning. I think we just needed to get their attention."****

DEA Seizes Kentucky's Hemp Seeds Despite Congressional Legalization (UPDATE)

Old 05-24-2014, 11:00 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Five years ago there were 8,000 acres of industrial hemp. This year the Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance expects 100 thousand acres with about a quarter of them in Alberta. The Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance says industrial hemp is one of the most profitable crops farmers can grow generating gross returns of about 700 dollars per acre.

Growing hemp on Alberta farms - Lethbridge | Globalnews.ca

Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , as you probably well know there are almost unlimited uses for hemp. Our Canadian farmers in the west are reaping a bonanza growing hemp. It's an extremely profitable cash crop. We hope the brain dead American government continues to prevent your farmers from growing it. At present you import it from Canada and that is good for us.

Can it get much more idiotic than importing something that your own farmers would love to grow?
Hemp was once a valuable and useful crop in the United States as well. Somehow the idiots in Washington allowed themselves to be rolled by a few persons pushing to make "pot" illegal (the prevailing theory then was that negroes especially men smoked the stuff and grew strong and violent. Cue "Birth of a Nation" to see what happens when black men are on the lose and the fear it spikes in the white population), so not only was marijuana plants made illegal but so was their cousin hemp. This mind you that hemp plants contain so little of the active substances found in marijuana that one would have to smoke several entire large plants at once to even get a buzz.

No, the real hate against hemp came from other industries such as cotton who were in competition.

Unlike cotton growing hemp does not deplete the soil. Hemp will grow mostly anywhere and requires little attention until harvesting time. OTOH cotton is quite another matter on that score.

Thing is hemp is still used in many of the industries it was before the ban, and more are being found each year. So the stuff must be imported from Canada or Europe at a much higher cost than simply growing it on our soils instead.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Somewhere withing 50 miles of where I sit, there is a little "hippie" store that sells clothing made of hemp fiber, which is a fiber like cotton, wool, flax, linen or whatever. My oldest son bought a couple of items, and my recollection is that it was excellent quality, good value for the money, comfortable to wear, hot or cold weather. (My son bought t-shirts)

I suppose you could cut up hemp clothing and smoke it, the same way you can do so with cotton or wool. Not sure that the effect would be something the smoker would like.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:48 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Just saw this on FB.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
You trying to take the wind out of his sails, or the sales out of his wind?

Maybe he's protecting his illegal pot farm.

Please state your intentions before asking such penetrating questions.
I have found and destroyed a few bucket farms to protect my crop LOL

Since pot stays in ones system for WEEKS how will anyone drive to work? Smoking pot for recreation is stupid and it makes you stupid and I see pot heads telling each other that they are stupid meaning they are high.

I don't want to share the roads with any one that is high unless maybe i can also share the roads and shoot guns. How would that be? Then in the USA we have more than enough fatties and pot just gives people the munchies. Do we need the next 5 generations all to weigh 400 pounds each?

You pot heads are just like Forest Gump. "Stupid is what Stupid does". Go for it.

I think that's why Bill Clinton didn't understand that big word IS don't you?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hemp was once a valuable and useful crop in the United States as well. Somehow the idiots in Washington allowed themselves to be rolled by a few persons pushing to make "pot" illegal (the prevailing theory then was that negroes especially men smoked the stuff and grew strong and violent. Cue "Birth of a Nation" to see what happens when black men are on the lose and the fear it spikes in the white population), so not only was marijuana plants made illegal but so was their cousin hemp. This mind you that hemp plants contain so little of the active substances found in marijuana that one would have to smoke several entire large plants at once to even get a buzz.

No, the real hate against hemp came from other industries such as cotton who were in competition.

Unlike cotton growing hemp does not deplete the soil. Hemp will grow mostly anywhere and requires little attention until harvesting time. OTOH cotton is quite another matter on that score.

Thing is hemp is still used in many of the industries it was before the ban, and more are being found each year. So the stuff must be imported from Canada or Europe at a much higher cost than simply growing it on our soils instead.
Hemp still grows wild in the USA. I have seen it in down town Newburyport Mass a old sailing vessels port. I have seen it growing in Nebraska on the road sides too. This is the industrial hemp plant not the pot for smoking and there is a difference.

I have 440 meters of real hemp for bolt roping sails and or hand lines for sail boats. That came from Romania. If you sliced off a bit of this rope and smoked it you would get string and violent too LOL

Oil rich pot isn't the same plant but they appear to be by eye (almost) Sure 1,001 things can be done with real hemp. Once it was the way the economy ran, and probably will again, but not the kind that gets smoked.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
www.cbc.ca/news/.../canada-s-legal-hemp-industry-growing-

Why is it that the USA allows the importation from Canada of the hemp it uses?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, there are lots of people who are excited by the idea of growing hemp and are still lobbying to make that happen.
Me, Me, Me.........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies